• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15065986271721651182885 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hello,

I'm working on restoring my first pin, a 1972 Williams Honey. I cleaned all the springs in the back box and had itworking fine for about a week but now the 10 point relay is arcing super bright and blowing fuse after fuse.

It arcs when anything on the PF worth 10 points is hit but doesn't advance the score reel. It doesn't look like the relay is pulling in either just brightly arcing across 2 or 3 contacts.

Can someone with some experience point me in the right direction diagnosing this?

Thanks,
-Kevin

#2 6 years ago

Does the coil on the 10 point score reel look ok or burnt? Also, does the coil for the 10 point bell look ok or burnt. Usually blowing a fuse like this means there is a shorted coil.

#3 6 years ago

The player one score reel coil does look a little toasted. The last time it blew a fuse it was playing on player two though. Would that still cause it to arc?

#4 6 years ago

Is it a 10's score reel coil that is toasted? To you point, I would not expect the fuse to blow while playing player 2 if player one had a bad score reel coil. If there are points on the 10 reel with the toasted coil, does the reel reset properly when you start a new game?

#5 6 years ago

You probably have a burnt chime coil or bell coil.

#6 6 years ago

Ok,
Tested all the 10 point reel coils, and 10 point relay coil with a DMM. All tested out okay.

Any other obvious culprits?

If I manually pull in the 10 point relay it blows the fuse right away. Also, i couldn't reach the chime coil to test it but the chime works on other point value targets.

Quoted from bonzo71:

If there are points on the 10 reel with the toasted coil, does the reel reset properly when you start a new game?

Yes, it all resets ok. Only blows a fuse during a game.

#7 6 years ago

I have never owned this game, but I believe it has 2 bells. The smaller of the 2 bells would ring for 10 point. Are both bells working or just the larger one? Is the small bell a stand alone unit or is it part of the match unit? Have you looked at the coil on the match unit stepper?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from KW_pins:

If I manually pull in the 10 point relay it blows the fuse right away.

Instead of testing by replacing fuses get one of these.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Electrical_short_troubleshooting_Fuse_helper

#9 6 years ago

It's got to be the number match step up coil is burnt.

#10 6 years ago

Definitely the coil on the match unit. After looking at the schematic, the spring that's arcing is the one that energises the match unit and the coil is totally cooked.

Thanks everyone!

15065986271721651182885 (resized).jpg15065986271721651182885 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Cut the wires off the coil..the game should play.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from KW_pins:

Definitely the coil on the match unit.

Very common on Williams, at least 25% of the Williams pins I have picked up it is smoked.

I keep a coil in stock now!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/72-williams-honey-10-point-relay-arcing-badly-and-blowing-fuses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.