(Topic ID: 172632)

72' Williams Big Star - Need Tech Help please!

By MrBellMan

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MrBellMan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2218 (resized).JPG
IMG_2217 (resized).JPG
IMG_2216 (resized).JPG
IMG_2213 (resized).JPG
IMG_2215 (resized).JPG
IMG_2214 (resized).JPG
IMG_2212 (resized).JPG
IMG_2211 (resized).JPG
IMG_0513 (resized).JPG
IMG_0512 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

EDIT - EM Tech Question: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/72-williams-big-star#post-3463914

Getting this game in a trade soon, but can't find much info on it. Anyone ever play it? Thoughts?

Thx,

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

IMG_0512 (resized).JPGIMG_0512 (resized).JPG
IMG_0513 (resized).JPGIMG_0513 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

AAB version of Super Star. Not too many made.

#3 7 years ago

I have Super Star which is the replay/novelty/AAB version. It is a great player IMHO. Set the outlanes all the way open so that even if the posts are up the ball can still sneak by. Yes you can have the outlanes and center drain posts all up, but the drop center post button is so close to the center drain that you have to be careful.

I typically have mine set to AAB. Extra balls are scored by completing the SU-P-ER rollovers at the top, knocking the center drop and putting the ball in the scoop. Also, extra balls are lit by maxing the bonus by advancing the bonus unit through the lit rollover buttons or hitting blue star targets, then hitting the center drop and hitting the center scoop. So, it is possible to score 2 EBs at once.

The pops and slings are DC on this game for some pretty fast action. It's an ugly game but tons of fun. Mine is set hard and very challenging.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the info guys!

What is AAB? Is that an EM reference?

#5 7 years ago

AAB = Add A Ball. Basically an extra ball. EMs were AAB or replay. Replay games gave you a credit (replay) and AAB games gave you an extra ball. AAB games were required in some states to skirt around the whole skill/chance/gambling laws in the 50/60/70s.

On AAB games there are a row of lights at the bottom of the backglass that reads: "Balls to Play". When you start a game it goes to 5 and when you lose a ball it goes to 4 then 3 then 2 and so on. If you 'add a ball' during the game it increments up one and maxes out at 10. You can keep decreasing and adding balls forever, theoretically.

#6 7 years ago

Cool. Thanks!

I'll post more pics and info when the game arrives next week. I'm not an EM guy at all, so this game will probably be up for grabs once I get the game cleaned up and dialed in!

3 weeks later
#7 7 years ago

Got the Big Star home yesterday and was very surprised how clean it is!

IMG_2211 (resized).JPGIMG_2211 (resized).JPG

IMG_2212 (resized).JPGIMG_2212 (resized).JPG

IMG_2214 (resized).JPGIMG_2214 (resized).JPG

IMG_2215 (resized).JPGIMG_2215 (resized).JPG

IMG_2213 (resized).JPGIMG_2213 (resized).JPG

IMG_2216 (resized).JPGIMG_2216 (resized).JPG

IMG_2217 (resized).JPGIMG_2217 (resized).JPG

IMG_2218 (resized).JPGIMG_2218 (resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

I need some assistance please. I am not an EM guy and have a question about powering on my game. Please see the video. It seems I have to activate the coin shoot switch... Is this right?

(sorry for the shaky video)

Thanks in advance!

#9 7 years ago

Bump for the evening crowd.

#10 7 years ago

After turning the game on, press the left flipper button.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

After turning the game on, press the left flipper button.

Wow!!! I learned something new today!

Thank you! Do you know if all EM's are like this or was it an era or manufacturer thing?

#12 7 years ago

Typical of Williams EM games in the 70s. You should get the lights on the coin door to illuminate when you turn on the power switch, but nothing else until you push the left flipper button or drop a coin in which you figured out by manually activating the switch.

#13 7 years ago

Very cool! Thanks for the lesson!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/72-williams-big-star and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.