(Topic ID: 212313)

'72 Fireball vs. Fireball Classic

By Gryszzz

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

X2 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    FBC (resized).jpg
    BS (resized).jpg
    5--hamptons-party-instagram-girls (resized).jpg
    judge-smails (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

72 FB has been on my list for sometime. But I recently played a Classic and honestly, can't remember the "big" differences. Aside from the em score reel/digital display and a real cabinet vs. pos chipboard, what justifies the huge price difference?

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

72 FB has been on my list for sometime. But I recently played a Classic and honestly, can't remember the "big" differences. Aside from the em score reel/digital display and a real cabinet vs. pos chipboard, what justifies the huge price difference?

The HUGE difference is no zipper flippers on the classic/home one. One of the coolest features of a "real" Fireball.

#3 6 years ago

Doh. Yes. The zipper flippers. But for a mediocre player is that really a downside? Tiny ass flippers make for a much harder game. That isn't a bad thing really, but I'll take all the handicap I can get.

#4 6 years ago

You’re on the sauce!

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Doh. Yes. The zipper flippers. But for a mediocre player is that really a downside? Tiny ass flippers make for a much harder game. That isn't a bad thing really, but I'll take all the handicap I can get.

The classic blows, IMO. Taking out the zipper flippers really takes too much away from the game balance.

#6 6 years ago

I had a classic that I threw lightning flippers on.

Had a lot of fun for the price.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Since the zipper flippers close half of the time, preventing center drains, I wouldn't say it's a harder game. It's a much different game without a reason to try and roll over the buttons to close the zipper flippers. The EM version is on Pinball Arcade.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I had a classic that I threw lightning flippers on.
    Had a lot of fun for the price.

Lightning flippers are still not as small as the real ones for Fireball and they don't zip together. I'm sure you had fun, but it wasn't THE Fireball experience.

#9 6 years ago

Can’t go without the zipper flippers.

#10 6 years ago

The playfield just isn't set up right for those larger flippers.

That and the artwork on the original Fireball is far superior. Oh yeah, and bells instead of beeps.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Doh. Yes. The zipper flippers. But for a mediocre player is that really a downside?

Yes. With the '72 version you have one goal in mind: closing these zipper flippers! Until then, good player or not, stress is high. Then comes the (often false) sensation of safety once you manage to close them. And the easiest way to start a multiball requires opening the zippers...
    Also note that, once closed, the zipper flippers offer you a few interesting new shot angles.

Priceless!

#12 6 years ago

I know a guy who "modded" his FBC with Medusa Flippers. Perhaps Jimmy you'll chime in

#13 6 years ago

Right now I'm in the FB Classic for half the price club, and it hurts.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

You’re on the sauce!

judge-smails (resized).pngjudge-smails (resized).png

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Yes. With the '72 version you have one goal in mind: closing these zipper flippers! Until then, good player or not, stress is high. Then comes the (often false) sensation of safety once you manage to close them. And the easiest way to start a multiball requires opening the zippers...
    Also note that, once closed, the zipper flippers offer you a few interesting new shot angles.
    Priceless!

I wonder why this awesome feature from the past hasn't been brought back from the dead on a new machine? The last game with it was over 30 years ago. Even if it wasn't the main flippers, it could be used for an upper area like Medusa...

#16 6 years ago

Classic gets more play around here, faster and meaner.

You need all 4 of them to be bigly.

#17 6 years ago

While the original Fireball certainly has more charm and deserves its fame, I think the 1985 version is a better player. The scoring rules are much more fun and interesting, AMAZING digital sounds throughout, and frankly the regular 3 inch flippers make for a more enjoyable game across 3 balls. The game is just more playable and more fun and keeps all of the best elements of the original - the art, the skill shot, the multiball, the amazing spinner disc and kickback. And, it adds a great bonus element to the game, which really gives the player a reason to whack at the captive ball.

It does lack the zipper flippers but I consider those more of a novelty than a play asset.

#18 6 years ago

Would you rather work on an early solid state or an EM? Either way o-din approves.

#19 6 years ago

And the winner is.......
    Breakshot!

#20 6 years ago

Ok, I really did just buy a Breakshot. Fell in love with this one at LAX. But I'm gonna need a FBC real soon. Or FB at an estate sale for $500. Either or.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Classic gets more play around here, faster and meaner.
    You need all 4 of them to be bigly.

Maybe 3, but not the 4th. Absolutely not.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Fell in love with this one at LAX.

I've had similar experiences at the airport, to tell you the truth.

5--hamptons-party-instagram-girls (resized).jpg5--hamptons-party-instagram-girls (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago

I'll chime in on this as I was there at Bally when the Fireball Classic was brought out. First of all, there are 2 big problems with the zipper flippers, they are expensive and take up a lot of room under the playfield.
    For a long time in the late 70s owning a Fireball or 4 million BC was a big deal for early collectors. The European market hated multi ball and small flippers. Since Bally shipped a lot of games overseas anything Europe hated was a veto for new games. We would frequently ask to do a reissue of those games as solid state but management was always turning it down.
    Finally we got the go-ahead for Fireball II with the stupid doodle-bug mech! As expected, the game was a dog with poor sales. We went back and begged again for a real reissue of Fireball which we finally got. In the negotiations we had to give up the expensive zipper flippers. Sales were down and the factory had just voted to unionize. Bally management was doing everything on the cheap and would soon shut down and move pinball production to a new non-union factory.
    As for Europe, when Williams started shipping new multi level multi-ball games it was amazing how quickly they stopped hating them.

#24 6 years ago

Wow. Thanks Al!! Always cool to hear the story from someone that was actually there. I'd love to own a 72, but they're literally triple the cost of a Classic. Maybe one day when I get that f.u. money.
    Tell us another story Al!!
    Were you there in 95 when they put out my favorite machine of all time: Indianapolis 500?

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'd love to own a 72, but they're literally triple the cost of a Classic.

I've had three of them now, a beater, a German model, and one of the nicest originals out there. Game I played on location when it was brand spanking new. Most amazing pinball game I had ever seen. Just looking at it was intimidating for a 10 year old kid.

I was tempted, but had to pass on a real collector quality one that popped up in the pinside market for $2200 a couple months ago that was about an hour from here.

Last I saw it was a pending sale, but now I can't find that ad at all.

Had a nice Fireball Classic too and that lasted here about two weeks.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

Where you there in 95 when they put out my favorite machine of all time: Indianapolis 500?

Down stairs at in the Cal State Fullerton rec room, playing it. They got bowling lanes and everything,,,,

#26 6 years ago

Amazing how these games can come and go...
    Ah, you'll probably have more fun with Breakshot anyway.

BS (resized).jpgBS (resized).jpg
    FBC (resized).jpgFBC (resized).jpg

#27 6 years ago

I wanna hear another story from a Bally employee.

#28 6 years ago

What, ex Pup 'n' Taco employee aint good enough for you?

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

We're here man!
    We're where?

#30 6 years ago

Damn. Both yer FB cabs look sah wheaaat.
    I especially like that Breakshot.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Both yer FB cabs look sah wheaaat.

Why, yes they did!

X2 (resized).jpgX2 (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Just looking at it was intimidating for a 10 year old kid.

Oh, who am I kidding. It was the most awesome thing I had ever seen. I walk into the bowling alley, and there on the left, it is.

#33 6 years ago

There was Jim & Toms in Bensenville. Worst hot dogs around but I ate a bunch of them. Fireball Classic may have been my last game before I left in 84.
    Sad to say the whole factory is under a runway at O hare now.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I wanna hear another story from a Bally employee.

Search for posts by MrBally he has a few.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/72-fireball-vs-fireball-classic?hl=fatcake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.