5ECEF0D5-03DA-42DB-B858-C9C0B3319527 (resized).jpeg
D5084059-FA9D-4B05-801B-EAFD297C6463 (resized).jpeg
F12E1A9C-002A-4B0E-9619-EDD2BB651411 (resized).jpeg
C417B327-80C7-45AA-AB83-8482ABD3EB9A (resized).jpeg
IMG_4989 (resized).jpeg
30394DCD-F446-47B1-A64C-BD96B75100B4 (resized).jpeg
8040597B-AE70-4C58-81D0-37894D3F6CB7 (resized).jpeg
B709E72E-C4D4-4B2E-9480-500425D7DB41 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 9 years ago

I was lucky enough to get hold of a NOS backglass for my Fireball as it came with a plexi repro.

I have to say the graphics on the Fireball repro plexi were superb, top notch, but I prefer an original screened on glass. Don't hesitate to buy one if your original is rough.

Apparently some of the Fireballs that were exported were shipped with plexiglass when new, does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Some other games were produced with plexis, one reason some manufactureres may have discontinued plexis is some people were reported to have burned holes to access the credit wheel!

I guess it's possible.

4 months later
#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

So they were all red in 1972? I will have to look at some old footage of the machine from the 70's. They all look orange / amber. Can anyone else pipe in that remembers playing the game when it was new? Red would be horrible and would drown out the upper skill shot area.

They were red originally, I had a look at a photo of a Fireball playfield from the 1976 "pinball portfolio" book. You could easily see that they were definitely red. Book was published in 1976 so the pic of the playfield would have been only four years old or less when taken.

I had never noticed this when I had looked at the pic before, I will be changing mine to red to see how it looks (since they are meant to be red). May end up changing them back to amber I suspect.

1 year later
#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

The original drawing that started it all. What I would give to have this framed on my wall!

What's strange is their is no pictures of Ted Zale anywhere whatsoever, none in any books or on the net.

1 year later
#145 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Thank you for making these!

+1, I have ordered one as well.

#146 5 years ago

That playfield is in amazing condition @brenna98. I never got over missing out on a home use only Fireball from ebay for 2.5K about 7 or so years ago.

2 weeks later
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Here's your throwback Fireball video rat. Not sure if it has what you are looking for though.

Would be interested to know what show/series this clip was from. Anyone know the show or the names of the actors?

#153 5 years ago

Looks like him, but if it's him I can't find what the series is.

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

It is an episode from "Police Story".

Thanks!

8 months later
#158 4 years ago

Not perfect, but a lot better than it was. Yep, definitely needed the magic eraser for most of my playfield, just cleaning with the usual stuff did nothing.

These protectors are a must.
https://beehivepinball.bigcartel.com/product/playshield-protector-classic-bally

IMG_0062 (resized).JPGIMG_0062 (resized).JPGIMG_0134 (resized).JPGIMG_0134 (resized).JPG

5 months later
#180 3 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

I’m happy to report everything is now aligned, cleaned, greased, oiled, quiet and smooth as butter

Thanks for the detailed pics - I will be doing mine soon. What are the parts you "greased" & "oiled?"

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Oiled the small felt pad pin hole on both sides directly over the motor gear pin. I Only greased (super lube synthetic) the gear pin ends directly at the base of the spinning disc and the gear pin ends 1st in line beside the one directly under the spinning disc. The other gear pin ends are connected to the felt tip pad so I left them to 3 in 1 oil only at the pad.

Got it, that confirms as well the brass cogs themselves run dry no oil/grease. Great, Thanks.

I could't remove the spinning disc from the shaft last time I tried. I removed the two locking bolts/screws but it was still stuck on. Any tips to remove the disc form the shaft?

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Yes those locking bolts slightly distort the shaft as they press into it. Physics is your friend. I rested a flathead screw driver at an angle and twisted it slowly on one side the again to the other side of the shaft from the plate to the spinner shaft seating. It took a while to pull up. Then I grabbed a small open ended wrench and did the same thing. You may need to use a few stacked wrenches as you slowly pull it off. Then you will need a very fine file to remove the distortion that the set screws made so you can remove the gear from the frame.

That a good method - I will try that, thanks!

That makes sense with what happens with the locking nuts & shaft. I just remembered something similar, The early williams (system 3-6) flipper shafts have a slight recess at the end in the position where the two locking pawl bolts press against the shaft to allow for any metal distortion at the contact points. Any distortion is within the recess area allowing for easy removal.

However, fitting the later type one piece bat & shaft that does not have the recessed end in the early two bolt pawl setup will result in the metal distorting like what happend here & the pawl & shaft locking together making it extremely difficult to remove.

1 year later
#200 2 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Joining the club with serial #4123!

Your clear plastics are broken where the captive ball sits (you probably already know) which is a very common problem with Fireballs. The 2 posts in front are not original & have been added because of this.

However, you can buy replacement clear plastics from the Pinball Rescue from the link below is you want to restore the set up to original.

Pinball Rescue are closing for good on June 7, so you will need to order now if you happen to want them! I'm pretty sure you can't get them anywhere else.

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Fireball.html

#205 2 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Does anybody have a tip on how to get the slings nice and snappy, without the machine gun effect kicking in

From my experience, the only cause of machine gunning sling shots I have encountered on any game is when the contacts are gapped are too close. I don't find the sling shots snappy on Fireball - maybe is is because the sling angles are different to regular slings.

11 months later
#249 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

so maybe a playfield protector will work if there is one made someplace?

You can get a protector from here:

https://www.beehivepinball.com/product/pinball-playshield-protector

I have one, looks & plays great with it.

IMG_1050 (resized).JPGIMG_1050 (resized).JPGIMG_1051 (resized).JPGIMG_1051 (resized).JPGIMG_1052 (resized).JPGIMG_1052 (resized).JPG
#252 1 year ago

I purchased a NOS Fireball backglass on Ebay a few years ago, luckily I managed to get it shipped to Australia safely & still in mint condition.

As seen in the pics it was still in the original wood packing crate, complete with newspaper pages from 1971!

P1010936 (resized).JPGP1010936 (resized).JPGP1010938 (resized).JPGP1010938 (resized).JPGP1010941 (resized).JPGP1010941 (resized).JPGP1010948 (resized).JPGP1010948 (resized).JPGP1010958 (resized).JPGP1010958 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#289 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Is this really a plastics set for the 1972 Fireball EM? http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-FBC1&Category_Code=GS-852

I didn't think any were available?

That is the EM set. CPR are doing the Fireball classics which have additional text on the plastics. From the picture, this set looks like the same EM Fireball set I bought years ago - I seem to remember the X on the clear plastics coating just like the pics too. Probably from the source from years ago.

Here is how the repro set looks in my game. Only differences I found are the plastics are a slightly lighter colour & thinner plastic than original, neither matters, they look great.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/72-fireball-club-all-here-can-enter-valhalla/page/5#post-6964430

1 year later
#506 5 months ago

I bought red sleeves from pinball resource & used regular #47 globes which looks great. Pretty sure these are the same as the originals.

https://www.pbresource.com/lampcov/gtb-24410.jpg

I have 6 installed across the top & left side in total - I think their were 6 originally from what I could determine.

IMG_4850 (resized).JPGIMG_4850 (resized).JPGIMG_4849 (resized).JPGIMG_4849 (resized).JPGIMG_4851 (resized).JPGIMG_4851 (resized).JPG
#508 5 months ago
Quoted from mcubed:

Also someone took a creative approach toward resolving the inability to obtain the "pull back" solenoid. It works though

That fix is really out there!

Looks like a Williams flipper coil has been used there for the sub.

If you ever want to explore another possibility down the track you can read here - but like you said it's working, so that's all you need!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-zipper-flipper-pull-coil-needed#post-7817761

#513 5 months ago
Quoted from mcubed:

I'm actually fortunate as the remaining metal parts of the stock coil are still with the game, so I have the option of rewinding it.

That's great, yeah, a rewind as first option for sure.

Quoted from mcubed:

When this coil failed, it must have failed spectacularly. With the amount of "black" on the bottom of the play field and zipper flipper assy, I have to think smoke was rolling out of this machine for days. So yea. Fuse.

Sounds like how mine was too when I got it. Blackened so much, including the zipper flipper assembly.

The ply is charred where the fuse is as well. At least the top side is lovely!

IMG_4855 (resized).JPGIMG_4855 (resized).JPGIMG_4858 (resized).JPGIMG_4858 (resized).JPG
#515 5 months ago
Quoted from mcubed:

That flipper mech is cherry. Did you do the rebuild?

Thanks, yeah I did a rebuild on a used assembly I had with parts from either Marco or Pinball Resource, the flipper pull in coil was a NOS Comar coil, the same as the original, which I picked up from ebay a few years ago.

I will get back to stripping the playfield at some point to repair the back side damage & then repaint factory gray.

#518 5 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I am afraid of magic eraser and alcohol. I’m pretty sure I waxed under my playfield protector, but make sure you do a good job buffing the wax off before putting down the playfield protector.

Quoted from mcubed:

I've lightly cleaned the playfield with Novus 1. I want it to look as good as possible, but my concern is I'll just do damage from here and I should just call it good. Any thoughts/experience in this area?

Also - should I wax the playfield before I put the protector down?

Yeah, I can understand using magic eraser on old playfields like these are a risk, I did however do magic eraser & alcohol on mine. I tried a small spot & seemed all ok, so continued. Turned out great, removed most of the ball swirl/engrained dirt, finished off with Novus 2 after the eraser to a nice shine then then did some final touch ups & the protector went on, no wax used. Has been perfect for a few years now without the protector needing removal at all.

See before/after pics.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/72-fireball-club-all-here-can-enter-valhalla/page/4#post-5338065

#529 5 months ago
Quoted from mcubed:

Trying to think of something to cover the bolt holes on the front is my bigger problem. Open to ideas!

I have the ugly bolts too from a coin door locking bar, actually the whole front is pretty rough. I still haven't decided what to do & it's been a few years now. Might remove one bolt to take a peek in case their is some woodgrain vinyl behind it!

IMG_4872 (resized).JPGIMG_4872 (resized).JPG
2 months later
#576 85 days ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

My best scores have always been with coffee in the morning

Agreed, I find it's always a Sunday morning with coffee, which applies to all games except Flash Gordon.

1 month later
#608 48 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

They don’t sell the housing any longer, right

You can find a NOS housing at John’s Jukes. Must be the only place on the planet that has them!

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/ball-shooter-housing-a-1540-5?search=%20A-1540

I picked up a NOS rubber Matt from them for my Fireball spinning disc a few years ago while they had them available & also some NOS Fireball rollover buttons too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/72-fireball-club-all-here-can-enter-valhalla?tu=Joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.