Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Brk_oth
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-4 (resized).jpg
    image-3 (resized).jpg
    image-2 (resized).jpg
    image-1 (resized).jpg
    rws37_04 (resized).jpg
    image-3 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2187 (resized).JPG
    GTB Humpty Bday 2 (resized).jpg
    GTB Humpty Bday 1 (resized).jpg
    $_35CDKGI7DT.jpgHumpty Dumpty (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

.........and nothing posted yet (that I can find) on the worlds largest pinball site.

#2 3 years ago

Pablo Picaso was born. His art might have given inspiration for Spanish Eyes backglass.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Invention of the flipper!

First appeared on Humpty Dumpty.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/happy-70th-anniversary-to-the-flipper
    The 25th was the release date for Humpty Dumpty. Would love to play another one day.

Well this could be your lucky day! There is one for sale Calgary Alberta. On Kijiji, and it looks like it has been restored.

$_35CDKGI7DT.jpgHumpty Dumpty (resized).jpg

#6 3 years ago

Haha, I love the disclaimer Darcy. A bit far for me!

#7 3 years ago

And this topic has been pinned! Thanks robin !

Happy (Production) Flipper Day,
    Ryan

#8 3 years ago

Was about to post this on the EM sub-forum, but just caught it here.
    http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Humpty+Dumpty&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1254
    The day pinball changed forever!

#9 3 years ago

Soon we will be able to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the pop (or as it was called thumper) bumper too.

#10 3 years ago

I wonder how many quarters that first flipper has been responsible for consuming? Staggering I bet. It's like the big bang* of our hobby?

(*or Adam and Eve, whichever you subscribe to)

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Soon we will be able to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the pop (or as it was called thumper) bumper too.

Cool. When was it?

#12 3 years ago

I thought it was October 22nd, 1947?? Was my party three days early?? unigroove posted these images a few days ago.

GTB Humpty Bday 1 (resized).jpg

GTB Humpty Bday 2 (resized).jpg

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

I wonder how many quarters that first flipper has been responsible for consuming? Staggering I bet. It's like the big bang* of our hobby?
    (*or Adam and Eve, whichever you subscribe to)

Probably none. The coin slides used on pins back then generally took nickles.

#14 3 years ago

This is my favorite piece of pinball paperwork that I own. It was part of the original Humpty Dumpty paperwork given to operators.

IMG_2187 (resized).JPG

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And, as Williams called it, the Jet Bumper.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

This is my favorite piece of pinball paperwork that I own. It was part of the original Humpty Dumpty paperwork given to operators.

Where'd ya find this cool doc?

#17 3 years ago

Bought a box of paperwork ( paid too much as 95% I didn't want ) but it had this with a Humpty Dumpty Schematic.

So, accidental find and don't think the seller even realized the significance so it was a nice surprise as I had already regretted buying the box until I opened it and found this!

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I still see players to this day that could use the exact thing explained to them!

Very cool piece!

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Cool. When was it?

October 30, 1948

I only mentioned it because where would pinball have gone without one or the other.

image-3 (resized).jpg

Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

I wonder how many quarters that first flipper has been responsible for consuming?

Nickels my friend, nickels.

#20 3 years ago

Having a bat on the playfield to hit the ball wasn't exactly a new concept when Humpty Dumpty came out.

rws37_04 (resized).jpg

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That must have been an exciting day at the arcade, LTG.

#22 3 years ago

Pop quiz - what is the pinball with the highest production numbers?

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Highest on record would be Ballyhoo, I believe, with 50,000 units made.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Having a bat on the playfield to hit the ball wasn't exactly a new concept when Humpty Dumpty came out.

Harry Mabs supposedly got the idea for the flipper from the bat on pitch and bat machines.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Harry Mabs supposedly got the idea for the flipper from the bat on pitch and bat machines.

Yep. It seems Harry had a bit to do with other great features that appeared on pinball games as well.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Id go rockola world's series. Numbers are estimated to be in the 70k range

--Jeff
    https://www.facebook.com/prewarpinball

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Id go rockola world's series. Numbers are estimated to be in the 70k range
    --Jeff
    https://www.facebook.com/prewarpinball

I agree, it's a contender. It was so anticipated, that riots broke out at delaerships to get a look at it.

At peak production, 1,200 were made a day. You read that right. 1,200 a day!

#28 3 years ago

I can fully understand the not needing to keep records of how many of a certain title were made or sold, but sometimes I get a little curious when I come across one of the rarer ones.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Correct, there were quite a lot of pitch n bat games prior, plus a few bagatelles / "pinballs" with bats/flippers on them prior to Humpty Dumpty, but the main difference is that all the previous ones were purely mechanical, they were not too popular as they were usually considered slow and sluggish to control. Humpty Dumpty introduced electro-mechanical flippers which were very sensitive and an instant reaction in comparison to anything previously made, this of course as we know became very popular very quickly and paved they way for modern pinball.

image-1 (resized).jpg

image-2 (resized).jpg

image-3 (resized).jpg

image-4 (resized).jpg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside