(Topic ID: 277455)

70's Williams Flipper Replacement: Any Issues?

By Dono

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dono
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm restoring a '75 WMS Toledo for a client, and the flips are toast. At this time, replacements are a bit different; the shafts no longer have an indent where the set screws hit when they're tightened down. I remember using these replacements on a 73 WMS Gulfstream and I had a had difficult time getting the shaft out of the crank because of the metal displacement no longer having an indent to collect in.

Any one out there created an indent mimicking the original shaft? If so how did you do it?

#2 3 years ago

Without using a small lathe to machine it down, I would assume you could file/grind a couple of flat spots around where the set screws would dig in and create a burr. You could also tighten them partially to mark the spot, then pull it and sand off the burr and repeat.

#3 3 years ago

Are you saying you had trouble getting the shaft out of the crank after initial usage and tightening down the set screw, because the screw indented and left a small raised area?

I've never had the issue but I'd say just remove the crank and flipper arm from the game and pop the bottom of the shaft with a punch.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Are you saying you had trouble getting the shaft out of the crank after initial usage and tightening down the set screw, because the screw indented and left a small raised area?
    I've never had the issue but I'd say just remove the crank and flipper arm from the game and pop the bottom of the shaft with a punch.

Yes, had trouble getting the shaft out... I did end up using a punch-like tool to finally extract it. I'm now doing a client's game, and plan on creating a small indent with a grinder, but I'm wondering if that would create the .chance of creating a bind between the shaft and bushing once the set screws are tightened down hard.

#5 3 years ago

I'd leave it alone. After all how many times will that shaft be removed in the future?

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I'd leave it alone. After all how many times will that shaft be removed in the future?

Yeah, probably not worth the bother. Thanks for the input.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/70-s-williams-flipper-replacement-any-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.