• Latest reply 3 years ago by dhutton
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F6B98F57-7506-4DE5-96D9-0D81DA4E0132 (resized).jpeg
IMG-0726 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I'm a 55 year old white dude who grew up listening to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 countdown every Sunday morning. It's music like this from The Dramatics, that for me, has stood the test of time. So many good Philly and Detroit Soul groups back then.

#2 3 years ago

That is a killer tune!

I used to watch Soul Train on Saturday afternoon all the time as a kid. Cartoons would end, the next show is on, people dancing and singing, so it always stayed on. And Solid Gold on Saturday nights, come to think of it. Lots of TV on Saturday.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

That is a killer tune!
I used to watch Soul Train on Saturday afternoon all the time as a kid. Cartoons would end, the next show is on, people dancing and singing, so it always stayed on. And Solid Gold on Saturday nights, come to think of it. Lots of TV on Saturday.

Add to that, Don Kirschner's Rock Concert and Burt Sugarman's Midnight Special. So much better than MTV.

#4 3 years ago

I love this song as every different voice gets a verse. Love that falsetto!!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love this song as every different voice gets a verse. Love that falsetto!!

Uh, that's the song I just posted about lol.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

I'm a 55 year old white dude who grew up listening to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 countdown every Sunday morning. It's music like this from The Dramatics, that for me, has stood the test of time. So many good Philly and Detroit Soul groups back then.

Stylistics... Blue Magic... Delfonics.... Chi-Lites... the list goes on and on.... perhaps my favorite type of music that is not hard rock...

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Well u don't need to see much more than that to conclude music is fuckin shit right now. I mean even 80's pop was 10x better than the trash they put out today. How about this.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from LordHumungus:

Well u don't need to see much more than that to conclude music is fuckin shit right now. I mean even 80's pop was 10x better than the trash they put out today. How about this.

I liked McDonald when he was a Doobie. Definitely yes to H & O.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Stylistics... Blue Magic... Delfonics.... Chi-Lites... the list goes on and on.... perhaps my favorite type of music that is not hard rock...

American Bandstand Can ya dig it can ya dig it?

#10 3 years ago

This instrumental tune is early funk, I guess. It was the B-side to a vocal parody called Convention '72. It's got a great guitar lick and some funky organ. This is...wait for it....FUNKY BUTT.

#11 3 years ago

Plenty of great soul music being made today. Check out pretty much anything on Colemine Records. They have a 2 LP and 3 LP compilation, covering a huge section of their recent catalogue.

IMG-0726 (resized).jpgIMG-0726 (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from LordHumungus:

Dude, you are tripping. There's amazing stuff being put out now (or recently)
What about Lee Fields and the expression?
Or Charles Bradley or Leon Bridges, or Sharon Jones and the dap kings, Nick Waterhouse....you guys need to get out more.
B

#14 3 years ago

I am suddenly a huge fan of Durand Jones & The Indications!!!! Got them on my Amazon Music playlist right now. Thanks for posting this!!!

#16 3 years ago

#17 3 years ago

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I am suddenly a huge fan of Durand Jones & The Indications!!!! Got them on my Amazon Music playlist right now. Thanks for posting this!!!

Checkout Gene Washington and the Ironsides and the Black Pumas.

Soul Scratch and Orgone are fantastic as well. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings are also worth your time.

So much great throwback Soul going on these days.

#19 3 years ago

Tough choice between this song and I'll Be Around as the top Spinners song.

#20 3 years ago

#21 3 years ago

Detroit Spinners - Rubberband Man

#23 3 years ago

Curtis Mayfield - Pusherman (Official Audio)

#24 3 years ago

Isaac Hayes - Hung Up On My Baby

#25 3 years ago

Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter 23

#26 3 years ago

Isley Brothers - Footsteps in the Dark parts 1 & 2

#27 3 years ago

Thank you for making this thread. This is what I really loved about working at a record store. Miss those days sometimes.

1 week later
#28 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Thank you for making this thread. This is what I really loved about working at a record store. Miss those days sometimes.

It was the 45’s that made that period so memorable. Also helped that we had a juke box.

#29 3 years ago

Loving this thread.

From 1979-1982, I was a DJ at a dance club in California.

My favorite music has always been 70s - early 80's R&B. Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, Luther Vandross, Maze, etc. A third of my album collection is stuff from that era.

The only "Stairway to Heaven" I'll ever need is the O'Jays song. Still gives me chills over 35 years later.

F6B98F57-7506-4DE5-96D9-0D81DA4E0132 (resized).jpegF6B98F57-7506-4DE5-96D9-0D81DA4E0132 (resized).jpeg
#31 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

My favorite job ever.

Worked at Boo Boo Records in the late 70's/early 80's. No better feeling than turning someone on to something they hadn't heard before.

#32 3 years ago

Some of the greatest music ever. Period. I got the Rhino collection a while back...and promptly lost one of the CDs. Can't find the damn thing to replace it now if my life depended on it.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

My favorite job ever.
Worked at Boo Boo Records in the late 70's/early 80's. No better feeling than turning someone on to something they hadn't heard before.

I worked at Zia Records in Tempe, AZ in the 2000s. This was right before the vinyl collecting got real popular in the media and right before they started overdoing it with the Spencers gifts-type junk. Used to work in one of the original stores that no longer exists. I miss when we could chase down shoplifters and beat the shit out of them. Although I was the one who had to break up the fights. Lots of drunk ASU students. Lots of transients too. But it was always a good time. Even those years feel like a different world.

Having Circle K next door was pretty rad too because we were always drinking, among other things...

And we ALWAYS made sure to play good music. This was a band I was turned onto while working there. They're not 70s but their sound is inspired and has soul.

#34 3 years ago

James Brown - the Payback

#35 3 years ago

the Floaters - Float On

#36 3 years ago

The first song every lad learns on bass guitar

A Taste of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie (1978)

#37 3 years ago

#38 3 years ago

I love 70's funk and soul. One of my favorite current bands to see live is Here Come The Mummies. They are funky, a little bit raunchy and put on a great show.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A Taste of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie

I think they get classified as Disco...
but A Taste of Honey was/had a great band. Their first LP is a fav.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I think they get classified as Disco...

It was #1 on the Billboard Hot Soul Singles Chart back in Aug 1978

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It was #1 on the Billboard Hot Soul Singles Chart back in Aug 1978

I don't know that a Disco Chart ever existed, pretty sure it all got lumped in with Soul back then.

Not arguing. Just noting that whenever I see them catalogued, it is under Disco or Disco/Soul...which is the polite way of saying Disco!

I have no problem with Disco. Donna Summer made some amazing stuff.

#42 3 years ago

#43 3 years ago

1 month later
#44 3 years ago

One of my all time favorites.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/70-s-soul-?hl=guitarded and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.