(Topic ID: 321058)

7 Balls in Twilight Zone?

By SuS

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Curious if anyone else ever tried 7 balls in their TZ? When I first got my TZ, I bought a replacement powerball because the original was pretty grey. Some time later, I noticed that TZ has 4 trough switches, so I thought "why not add the second powerball back in as a 7th ball? (4 trough + 3 gumball)" I know it's only supposed to have 1 powerball but, having 2 allows casual players (non-pinball friends) to see the powerball feature more frequently. I know many will consider this blasphemy but, I figured "Why the hell not? It's my machine." My TZ always worked perfectly, always identified the PBs properly, even with 7 total balls (5 steel + 2 PB). Anyone else ever try this?

#2 1 year ago

if you're looking to make it no longer work perfectly, adding more or less balls than it's designed to operate with is a darn good way to accomplish that.

#3 1 year ago

If more power ball was the goal, why not just remove a steel ball and add a second power ball?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from SuS:

Curious if anyone else ever tried 7 balls in their TZ? When I first got my TZ, I bought a replacement powerball because the original was pretty grey. Some time later, I noticed that TZ has 4 trough switches, so I thought "why not add the second powerball back in as a 7th ball? (4 trough + 3 gumball)" I know it's only supposed to have 1 powerball but, having 2 allows casual players (non-pinball friends) to see the powerball feature more frequently. I know many will consider this blasphemy but, I figured "Why the hell not? It's my machine." My TZ always worked perfectly, always identified the PBs properly, even with 7 total balls (5 steel + 2 PB). Anyone else ever try this?

Game was originally designed for 7 balls - 6 steel, 1 powerball.But that's not what the 4th trough switch is for.
The game will appear to operate correctly, most of the time. But you'll run into issues like, for example, locking a powerball in the lock. Or the game thinking the powerball is in the gumball and trying to load magnets for multiball. At worst, you'll get some oddities and a credit dot.

#5 1 year ago

I’m running the home ROMs. There’s a setting to add another ball to the gumball, so the game will operate properly with 7 balls—as designed.

Not sure I’d want to add a second powerball though. I like that it’s a rarity.

#6 1 year ago

I have seven balls, home rom with the option mentioned so it works properly. But only 1 is a powerball. Makes power ball more rare which I don’t exactly like, but LITZ is a bit more exciting. Like you said it’s your game so 2 power balls sounds grand. I wonder if game might get confused in some cases though.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Game was originally designed for 7 balls - 6 steel, 1 powerball.But that's not what the 4th trough switch is for.
The game will appear to operate correctly, most of the time. But you'll run into issues like, for example, locking a powerball in the lock. Or the game thinking the powerball is in the gumball and trying to load magnets for multiball. At worst, you'll get some oddities and a credit dot.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I expected that somebody would have the background on it. I ran it that way for years, without any noticeable issues. Never had a credit dot. I sold the game a few years ago, so I don't remember exactly, but I may well have had the 4 gumball option on.

#8 1 year ago

the 4th switch is to let the game know, the gumball machine needs more balls. Anything that hits that 4th switch, will launch another ball in the gumball machine. So if you put 15 balls in the game. 12 will be in the gumball machine. or try to be anyway.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 132.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.95
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 22.50
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/7-balls-in-twilight-zone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.