• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Yoski
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi,
This is on a Gottlieb Volley. The game plays fine, 5 balls no problem. After the 5th ball drains it ejects the 6th ball into the shooter lane (which it shouldn't) and the flippers go dead and game over lights up (as it should).
I checked the ball count unit, it operates as it should, the switches open and close as designed. I check it against my C37 ball count unit and it does the exact same thing. Any ideas?
Thanks

#2 1 year ago

My SkyJump does the same thing. Never really tried to fix it.

#3 1 year ago

I've had a couple do this as well. I can't remember the fix offhand. Somewhere on Pinside there is some good documentation on correcting it. I think the game in question was a Lucky Hand that Dirtflipper was helping with.

#5 1 year ago

My Jacks Open did this. I had to sand/file the contacts in the ball count unit. And then loosen the screws and adjust it perfectly. It looked right and acted right it seemed but one contact was a little dirty or off a smidge and it would cause it to do the same thing

#6 1 year ago

Thanks, I am reading the post right now...

#7 1 year ago

I checked:
- the zero position “ball count” unit switch
- The 3-ball/5-ball adjustment switch
- The ball count stepper unit positions 3 and 5 (position 4 is lumped with 3)
- Score motor switch 1A
- Switch on relay (O)
as suggested in the post and "S" and "L" position on the followers on the motor. Still no cigar.

#8 1 year ago

Yoski, there are multiple switches on the back of the ball count unit.

One controls the playfield solenoids and the other controls the outhole kicker. If I am remembering correctly, the outhole kicker switch should open EARLY on ball 5 (remember, the trough switch advances the unit - not the outhole kicker, so there would not be a possibility for conflict) because even though the ball still needs to be played, the next time the outhole switch will be triggered will be when the game needs to end. I don't remember 100% but I would not only guess but speculate that it SHOULD open early on ball 5.

The only time the unit ever advances without the trough switch (and by the outhole switch) is for game over. This is controlled through a score motor switch. While 1A was the position for a game over relay fix in two of my other games, these more modern games do not have this relay (nor did my Sky Jump, which I am using as reference) - I believe the switch was a different one that I had to adjust personally, even if 1A is relevant to this problem. Do you have the schematic? The different switches will be listed on there as they stopped being listed inside of the cabinet by this point. I know for a fact the switch I adjusted was not 1A and it fixed my problem until the back of the ball count unit started acting up which I then also fixed.

#9 1 year ago

Thanks Otaku. I took another look at the ball count unit. Adjusting the switch terminated the game when ball 5 hit the through switch, so I adjusted it back. Then I cleaned some contacts on the ball count unit and it worked. Not really sure what the cause was or how I fixed it ...weird.

#10 1 year ago

Didn't I say to do that?

Glad you fixed it

#11 1 year ago

Ball 5 draining is supposed to end the game. I didn't. Ball 6 hitting the through switch ended the game. The through switch advances the ball count unit which opens a switch that cuts the power to the playfield. Seemed like some timing issue, that why I looked at the S&L settings on the score motor but they were fine. It was "something" in the ball count unit. Some contact that didn't get a good connection.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 7.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 400.00
Boards
Great American Pinball
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 24.50
$ 109.99
$ 149.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 15.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 179.99
$ 29.95
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 27.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside