1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

Hi, amigos. I just pulled Bally Six Million Dollar Man out of storage. It seems to power up fine and it plays nicely. The only problem I can see so far is that the display for Ball In Play/Match/Credit is not displaying anything. I put a voltage meter on it and it shows voltage. I also see a little glow in the display windows toward bottom. I tried a different display, but no difference. Any thoughts or suggestions?

#2 1 year ago

Is there a menu setting for that to turn it on or off?

#3 1 year ago

Check switch 20 on your MPU, that toggles if the game displays the credits to the player
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Does it work in display test?

#4 1 year ago

and the original display that was in that cradle you swapped for where there is a working display and it was fine?

have you reseated all connectors and checked for any dry joints on the cpu and solenoid driver boards?

#5 1 year ago

It is extremely common to have cracked/broken solder connections on bally displays.

Inside your metal coin door is a red button. Press it once and all the lights come on (blinking), press it again and the displays start filling up with numbers. It's an easy test to see if any displays or display digits/segments aren't working.

If the credits / match / ball in play display is dead, I would shut off the game and pull the credits / match / ball in play display out of the game.

Check all the solder connections on the bottom of the board, right at the connector. It's extremely common to have one or more of these connections with cracked solder, especially the end pins. I'll generally reflow all the solder connections to the pins, since I've got it in my hand.

If you found cracked solder connections, and you've fixed that, the next thing to do is to put it back in the game and test it.

If that doesn't fix it, you could have cracked solder connections on a different display (yes, that can cause the credits display to go dead). Pull each display and reflow the solder on all the connector pins on all the displays.

Finally, you can swap the credits display with any other player display, and it's possible that your credits display module is just... dead. If so, it won't work in any other position, and you'll need to get a replacement working display or at least the glass.

Any time I have a dead display I will almost always reflow the solder on all the connector pins on all five displays, so don't panic, this is a common repair.

Good luck!

1 month later
#6 1 year ago

Great suggestions, everyone. Thank you. DIP switch 20 was a great tip, but not the issue. In the end, I tested voltages, swapped a few displays, shocked myself with 187 VDC, and after plugging in enough displays, it began working. Here we go again. Always check the condition of your connectors, especially if the game's been sitting. All seven displays are now glowing brilliantly. I will have more questions as I get into more rehab on this game. I love this site! Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/6m-man-one-display-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.