(Topic ID: 225119)

69 Williams Fast Ball - Running Man Motor Gear Stripped - Suggestions?

By p1001

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Repair Pic (resized).JPG
    Run3 (resized).jpg
    Run2 (resized).jpg
    Run1 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I'm resurrecting a '69 Williams Fast Ball pitch and bat. Unfortunately one of the gears on my running man motor is stripped and I'm stumped. I've got most of the other mechanical parts working but ultimately they work in tandem with the running man cams. Can anybody steer me to a fix or spare parts? I tried PBR without success. The motor is Williams part number 14A-7849.
    27v
    20RPM
    Multi-Products Spec 1648

Of course the motor number is unique to Fast Ball. Most of the other Williams P&B's used 14A-7751 which is also 27v at 20RPM. Probably a different output shaft because of the vertical running man unit. I bet I can swap gears from this motor and get mine working. HELP!!

Run1 (resized).jpgRun1 (resized).jpgRun2 (resized).jpgRun2 (resized).jpgRun3 (resized).jpgRun3 (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

Contact Steve Young at Pinball Resource to make arrangements to ship the motor to him for repair/rebuilding:

http://www.pbresource.com/motor.html#repair

#3 5 years ago

I just completed this repair on a similar motor that had a stripped gear. That gear is a fiber gear that fails. Many motors from Williams or Gottlieb have similar gear trains, and I found that the fiber gear is the same. I had a spare motor for "parts" and swapped the fiber gear.

The problem is that the two halves of the gear housing are held together with hollow brass pins that are flared at each end. You need to drill out the pins, carefully separate the gear case, disassemble some gears, install the new fiber gear, lubricate as needed, reinstall the two case halves. To reattach the case I used flat head machine screws that fit into the countersunk hole, a lock washer and nut. Don't overtighten the nut or the shafts will bind.

For my repair I didn't have a clearance issue with the nut. It's not a difficult repair, hardest thing was locating the flathead machine screws of the proper head size and length. You may also need to countersink the case slightly to get the screw head to sit flush. Hope this helped.

#4 5 years ago

Steve at PBR has a repair kit with the bits. MP-2-CL Repair kit-clutch-7/16 laminate $36.00ea. If Steve does not repair nowadays then send me the motor and kit and I will fix for you. If so PM me and I will send you my address.

Repair Pic (resized).JPGRepair Pic (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/69-williams-fast-ball-running-man-motor-gear-stripped-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.