2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Gotemwill
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cobra 3 (resized).jpg
    Cobra 2 (resized).jpg
    Cobra 1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ohemio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Decided to list my Midway Cobra Shuffle Alley on the Bay a week or so ago. Although I have quite a few games I need to make space for future restorations and better game room configuration of my Garage-Bar-Arcade.

If you have ever sold a game that is part of your history and your families history then you know what I'm about to write. As are most EM's I buy to restore one step away from the fire pile. We bought this game after the death of my father-in-law in 2010. My wife and I traveled from Ohio to New Jersey to pick it up. When she saw it at the time being new to collecting and never restoring a game she thought I was crazy. Honestly I thought to myself I must be crazy too.

As I learned from my father and grandfathers there is only one way to truly learn...jump in feet first. Couldn't have been more happy how the project turned out. When I look back at the amount that I had learned by completing that restoration helped me restore many other games in my collection over the years.

Had a great gentlemen contact me and ask if I would deliver and I initially said, no. Wasn't interested in driving 2400 miles to deliver a game. However as the auction continued we kept in contact and over several discussions we made a deal. Was compelled by his story. He had a collection and lost it through divorce and he is trying to recreate it as close as possible for his grown children.

So next weekend my wife and I will be loading this up to deliver and set up for this gentlemen in his private vacation home in Port Charlotte, Florida. As the days pass it is interesting how the memories come back of holidays and get togethers that this game was the center of. How attached when you are as a collector that you become to your work and history.

When I spoke to my daughters about selling this game last weekend there were literally tears. I realized that our family arcade collection not only means something to me. Realized how much they tie their childhood to having a family arcade. At that point I know I have succeeded in created something special my children will look back and remember. Most of all glad my first restoration is going to a good home.

I was born in 1972 at the end of EM...primarily played video arcades. How I got to collecting and restoring EM I still don't understand it...but glad I went down this path. I have found peace and a lot of fun along the way by doing so.

So on this Saturday morning thought that I would share my story and say goodbye to this old friend in writing. I need to greave over a loss that is part of the thread and fabric of our family. Equally important is to post some pics so my family has this historical record to look back one. Unfortunately, we are not here forever. What we do now matters. Restorations, saving these games from the fire pile, matters to those who share in the experience of owning them with us.

OHEMIO

Cobra 1 (resized).jpgCobra 1 (resized).jpgCobra 2 (resized).jpgCobra 2 (resized).jpgCobra 3 (resized).jpgCobra 3 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #3 2 years ago

54 hours & 2433 miles later the Cobra is in its new home in Port Charlotte, Florida.

Left Friday at noon…arrived Saturday at 1 p.m and departed for home at 3 p.m.

Met the owners son. He was a great help in reassembling the game. Great guy and family for that matter.

Admittedly so it was a bittersweet moment. However glad the alley is in its new home.

Have projects to finish and now have some room to do so.

OHEMIO

#7 2 years ago

Unfortunately I don’t have a pic to share.

It is very complex. Belts, Chain, GE motor, 8 shafts that move after each shuffle and relays that are pulsed open. Magnetic RBT relay that regulates voltage of the GE motor.

It is to some degree a maddening mousetrap. Real engineering went into EMs and that’s what I love about them. Loved every minute of it being a part of my families collection.

Thanks for posting…OHEMIO

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ohemio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/69-midway-cobra-shuffle-alley-saying-goodbye-to-an-old-friend?tu=ohemio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.