Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2903 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1354 (resized).JPG
    S20180331_0005 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7256 (resized).JPG
    LM323K 132.jpg
    LM323K 129.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

Jameco has been busted numerous times selling counterfeit clone parts, remarks, and non functional fake parts. Most of their stuff is fine, but specially anything NLA like 6821 is sketchy from Jameco. They buy from China and then mark it up, so you might as well buy right from China.

Quoted from Homepin:

Some have "soft" pins but all the ones we have been buying for use in our replacement boards work just fine. Not a single failure (cross fingers).

I am thinking the "soft legs" is part of their pulling and refinishing process. They some how stamp new legs on the ICs or they can solder bath them so they come out near perfect and straight. Can be a little sticky on new IC sockets. I usually wipe a new IC socket with one of my NVRAM modules and then the "soft legs" mate nicely and securely in the socket without trying to rip the socket contacts out upon removal.

I am still hoarding boxes of HD68B21P, but they will run out eventually. I recently tried these from AliExpress. 30 out of 30 worked fine and lived through at least a 24 hours burn in on a Bally MPU. I got EF6821P by STM all dated around 1996-1998
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-lot-EF6821P-MC6821P-6821/32386539110.html

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Well, so I far I am not having any problems with any of the PIAs or CPUs from Jameco. I am hoping they are tested at some point before shipping.

??
    Also is there a good all-I-n one IC tester that will test PIA and CPU parts?

I think NeoLoch makes one. I have not tried it tho. Their ram tester has checked every single NVRAM module I have ever made and going strong. I have to say I don't like the blade system. I kinda wish they had a stand alone PIA tester and RAM tester now that I have an older stand alone RAM tester.

It is hard to fully test the PIA. You can even get a PIA that is able to read a port, but can't drive it, leaving it working in one setup but not in another. In most cases I have found if the PIA can drive a port, it could aslo read it. Bally U10 is a good place to test a PIA. I think it uses all the ports and goes between reading ports and driving them for switches, display latching and lamps. When I sold used pulls of these things I had a zif socket on a MPU and that is how I tested them.

As for Jameco if you google around you will find reports of people getting fake/mis marked 6502s. 74HC chips labeled as 74 plain, and etc. I still use them for the 22pin 0.4" 5101 sockets but that is about it.

#18 6 years ago

A part like LM323K is one to be highly suspicious of. Power transistors and Voltage regulators are not something to buy from China (or Jameco as far as I'm concerned) as the clones are greatly underspec'd. They will work if you don't run them anywhere near the limits, but if you drive them hard, poof.

With a precise scale you can usually weigh a transistor or v-reg against a known real one and tell is a fake clone. The silicon / whatever inside of them is heavier on real parts.

I had a box used as repackaging come in recently. I noticed the box was a FAKE STMicro packaging for 7805V. It had Engrish and an upside down logo on it just like the Clone M2732As come in. This stuff is winding up in the hands of domestic resellers. People reselling parts should pay close attention.

For voltage regulators its time to come up with good switching buck regulator retrofits. I have a 5v power supplies running off of LM2679T-5.0. They are like $5 each but run really cool/efficient and play nice in pinball boards as long as you wire it up right.

2 weeks later
    #23 6 years ago

The chips probably get scuffed up from being in a large stack of heavy PCBs. Sometimes the scuff marks are even 0.1" spaced like a dip40 chip was scratching it from above. The one with the unique logo is SG Thomson and was made when they became/bought out by STMicro in the late 80s.

I think the SC44067P is a classic Stern part number? Or at least I would see those labeled chips on mpu100 boards usually. 620-29 is Bally part number that will be stamped on pias for earlier Bally games. A lot of times you can even tell motorola 6821 imprint was scratched off and changed it to 620-29 for Bally.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from someotherguy:

barakandl, from an rgp thread in 2010 where the SC44067P was being discussed between you and Tony Holdgate, he posted that it's a 6820 and I think seymour shabow backed him up on that (although there was also some mention that the schems were incorrect related to a nearby IC.) --- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/m0GAa6X5M9k for a little blast from the past.
    Richard

yeah its def a 6820 PIA, but why that part number??? probably a Stern thing based on how often they are stuffed into MPU100 boards is my guess.

5A-8972 is WMS number for PIA if I remember right. Motorola did the same thing for WMS as they did for Bally. You will find some chips with the normal 6821 imprint visibly scuffed off and the WMS part number was stamped on.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I think Stern did the same thing. Look at the photo above - maybe that's what the scuff marks are.
    Bob

Yep. Looks like Motorola changed the imprint to a custom part number for their customer (Stern?).

Williams 6820 pia part number I believe is 5a-8972 .

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/6821-pias-from-china?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.