You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200224_215022 (resized).jpg
Cabaret score reels (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi,

My Williams student Prince resets the score reels correctly when pressing the start button. However on scoring points while playing the reels only work sometimes. All is the score reels components have been taken apart and cleaned.

Do I have a bar connection some where?

#2 4 years ago

Have you given the Jones plugs a good cleaning?

Here, for more info on reels: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

#3 4 years ago

I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from (for example) Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6)

#4 4 years ago

When the Score Reels are only working intermittently are the 1, 10 and 100 Point relays working reliably? In other words do the relays always fire when targets are hit or do they only fire intermittently? That would help narrow down where the issue is.

While a schematic will help as @HowardR mentioned there may be clues in other schematics like this one from Cabaret for example:
Cabaret score reels (resized).jpgCabaret score reels (resized).jpg
Since the Score Reels reset reliably we know that the Reset circuit at the top is working. If the 1 Point relay is working reliably I'd carefully inspect the Player Unit in the red box which is a step unit that determines which player will get the points being scored currently. Unless the Player Unit is clean and stepping smoothly it could make the Score Reels appear to be intermittent.

/Mark

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

When the Score Reels are only working intermittently are the 1, 10 and 100 Point relays working reliably? In other words do the relays always fire when targets are hit or do they only fire intermittently? That would help narrow down where the issue is.
While a schematic will help as @HowardR mentioned there may be clues in other schematics like this one from Cabaret for example:
[quoted image]
Since the Score Reels reset reliably we know that the Reset circuit at the top is working. If the 1 Point relay is working reliably I'd carefully inspect the Player Unit in the red box which is a step unit that determines which player will get the points being scored currently. Unless the Player Unit is clean and stepping smoothly it could make the Score Reels appear to be intermittent.
/Mark

I have cleaned the player unit and it's stepping correctly. Still the same issue. I do have the schematic for this game. I attached a foto of part of it, the score reels.

Greets
Vincent

IMG_20200224_215022 (resized).jpgIMG_20200224_215022 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

Hi Vincent
to work on a pin I like Williams pins the most - mechanical and electrical reasons as well as the MANUAL. Look in ipdb https://www.ipdb.org/files/2408/Williams_1968_Student_Prince_Manual.pdf - scroll down to page-21 (ori-19) --- see the huge relay bank - and the Tilt-Relay mounted in this bank. Scroll down in the manual one page - see on Tilt-Relay the switch "3B" - a threebladed make-and-brake switch --- look in the schematic at section / position C-10 --- see that this switch "Tilt-Relay-3B" is in the wiring "making the score-drums to step when playing, making points" ? Greetings Rolf

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from (for example) Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6)

Does Kinko's even exist any longer? Ours turned into FedEx.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi Vincent
to work on a pin I like Williams pins the most - mechanical and electrical reasons as well as the MANUAL. Look in ipdb https://www.ipdb.org/files/2408/Williams_1968_Student_Prince_Manual.pdf - scroll down to page-21 (ori-19) --- see the huge relay bank - and the Tilt-Relay mounted in this bank. Scroll down in the manual one page - see on Tilt-Relay the switch "3B" - a threebladed make-and-brake switch --- look in the schematic at section / position C-10 --- see that this switch "Tilt-Relay-3B" is in the wiring "making the score-drums to step when playing, making points" ? Greetings Rolf

I love this forum. I have not checked those switches. Thank you!

#9 4 years ago

rolf_martin_062

It was the tilt relay. Score reels are running smoothly now.

Thanks.
2 things left now, some times at a new ball it goes in tilt. And when the side lane 300 points is lit it only gives 100 points or no points at all, I do hear the score motor running at the time.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/68-williams-score-reels-resets-but-not-scoring-in-game- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.