(Topic ID: 261625)

68 Williams Cabaret starts with 4 players?

By fotoboy

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by fotoboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cabaret power switches (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).png
Capture (resized).png
Capture (resized).png
Cabaret Coin relay (resized).jpg
Cabaret Eject Coil (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).png
Capture (resized).png
IMG_7528 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Hello Pinball Wizards,
After being in storage for about three years I've began trying to revive my 68 Williams Cabaret add I'm getting close but a few funky things are happening probably unrelated but I'm hoping they're related somehow.

First of all when I start machine it who Runs a little bit extra on the reset and I always get four players ready to play, no matter how many times I press the go button (what is the button called anyway?)

Secondly just in case it should be addressed first, whenever ball drops into then 300 point ball drop hole the 300 Point scores randomly but always more than 300 points, usually more like 600 or 700.

I can make an post a YouTube if that helps anybody... The

IMG_7528 (resized).JPGIMG_7528 (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

First of all when I start machine it who Runs a little bit extra on the reset and I always get four players ready to play, no matter how many times I press the go button (what is the button called anyway?)

Start button. Your problem is likely this M/B sw.

Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png
#3 4 years ago

Sorry about this... M/B?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

Sorry about this... M/B?

Make/break. Read this from Clay's superb guide, then scroll to the top and bookmark: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

when I start machine it who Runs a little bit extra on the reset and I always get four players ready to play, no matter how many times I press the go button (what is the button called anyway?)

This game has a step unit called the Player Unit. There's a detailed picture in the manual on ipdb.org. The Player Unit should reset at the start of the game and whenever the Ball Count unit advances. It could be that yours isn't resetting. First check if it's mechanically binding. With the power off you should be able to manually push in either solenoid plunger and let it go and have the Player Unit either step forward or reset with no hesitation. If that's not reliable it probably needs a good cleaning.

/Mark

#6 4 years ago

Ok, thats where I'll start, but being schematically illiterate, how would I find this elusive M/B switch?

#7 4 years ago

MarkG Indeed, I am intimately familiar with the Player Unit... will check that out, again.

#8 4 years ago

@MarkG: If I'm not mistaken, it's the Coin Unit on this machine that controls the # of players.

@fotoboy: First locate the Reset relay, and the make/break will be easy to find because there are 3 blades. If there is more than one, look for the one with O-BLU (Orange-Blue) wire.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

Secondly just in case it should be addressed first, whenever ball drops into then 300 point ball drop hole the 300 Point scores randomly but always more than 300 points, usually more like 600 or 700.

Does it try to kick out the ball after 300 points? If not it may be that the Eject coil isn't getting a reliable pulse. Check the switch in the red box:
Cabaret Eject Coil (resized).jpgCabaret Eject Coil (resized).jpg

Quoted from currieddog:

If I'm not mistaken, it's the Coin Unit on this machine that controls the # of players.

Agreed. The Coin Unit certainly controls the 1-4 Can Play lights (among other things) and may not be resetting. Maybe the OP can elaborate on what the problem looks like. Which player(s) can score points? Does the Ball Count work, etc.

#10 4 years ago

Ok, well it seems that the COIN RELAY is sticking on, what activates that?

#11 4 years ago

OP here...

MarkG all players can score, and ball count works.

ball gets kicked out, then scoring starts.

currieddog during the startup the Reset Relay does not move at all.

so the player unit would control the score of a particular player?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

all players can score

Then the Player Unit is probably stepping and resetting correctly.

Quoted from fotoboy:

Ok, well it seems that the COIN RELAY is sticking on, what activates that?

Are you sure? That would make the Score Motor run constantly. Here's what drives it:
Cabaret Coin relay (resized).jpgCabaret Coin relay (resized).jpg
If it pulses off briefly the Score Motor switch is good and you'd just need to investigate the four normally open switches.

Quoted from fotoboy:

during the startup the Reset Relay does not move at all.

Do the score reels reset?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

currieddog during the startup the Reset Relay does not move at all.

Here from the manual, which is available on IPDB:

#14 4 years ago

Note that it can also energize the Reset relay

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Do the score reels reset?

Yes, perfectly.

@curriedog not following you.

#16 4 years ago

MarkG
Are you sure? That would make the Score Motor run constantly. Here's what drives it:

I am seeing the coin relay stuck on. says coin relay right there... when I manually disengage, everything stops.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

@curriedog not following you.

So, if you look at the snip in post 13, you see that the Reset relay, which you said is not energizing during start up, is powered by 'sw. C on the Coin relay when the Game Over relay is in the tripped position,' so check those that sw. for cleanliness and solid contact (snip of Coin relay in post 14).

and the Coin relay, which you said is sticking on, is powered by sw. B on the Replay relay.

#18 4 years ago

@curriedog well I think I got the coin mech adjusted, the spring was weak and now it seams to cycle correctly... however... now I get lights, the ball kicks out , but the PF is unresponsive, except the 300 point hole which kicks out the ball without scoring anything. You think its time for a new thread? Reset button is dead too. Off/On does nothing... sigh.

#19 4 years ago

There are three switches on one of the power rails between the black wire (not labeled) on the left and the red wire on the right:
Cabaret power switches (resized).jpgCabaret power switches (resized).jpg
The red wire on the right side runs to most of the scoring devices so if any one of those switches is open or not making a good connection most of the scoring devices won't have power. This would normally be the case during game over or tilt for example. Much of the game still gets power even during game over or tilt so it can do things like reset or kick the ball out of the eject hole even if the game is tilted.

#21 4 years ago

will have a look...

#22 4 years ago

@markg seems like everything is in order there...

#23 4 years ago

I'M BACK!!
Sometimes it seems like fixing my pins is like two steps forward and one step back...

PLAYFIELD PROBLEM IS FIXED! (It was the game over relay had hopped off the rails)

I still have my EM starting in 4 player mode (with one press of the button)... ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/68-williams-cabaret-starts-with-4-players and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.