68 williams cabaret blowing 24v fuse

By fotoboy

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi EM'ers...
I have a 68 Williams Cabaret that I am restoring. I had everything running satisfactorily, ye-haw. Then I removed PF and did the super duper new rubber, clean/wax plastics and PF. Now, before anything happens, I blow the 24v 15A fuse. When I first put the PF back and started up, I got a reset except for one score reel in player 1, which would buzz and not move. I have checked and/or adjusted switches on all of the reels. After a couple adjustments, it just started blowing fuses when I press the start button. It seems that there are a bazillion possible ways this could be happening, any advice would be helpful. I also have schematics if anybody needs me to post them.

Thanks [sigh]

#2 9 years ago

double check pf jones plugs. isolate the problem by removing pf jones plugs and check for fuse blowing.

#3 9 years ago

It actually blew the fuse without the PF installed... I will try unplugging the back box plugs ... Hopefully that will isolate my problem...

#4 9 years ago

Have a look at the Jones plugs, make sure no pins are bent or bare wires crossing over other pins or wires.

#5 9 years ago

Dear fotoboy
I bought an Cabaret too - also for "to restore" ... Your 15 Amp-24VAC fuse blows. Question: How long was that "Coil in Player-1-Score-Reels" buzzing and "not moving" ? Such coils can stand 30 seconds of "constant 24VAC power" - maybe up to 1 minute (maybe up to 2 minutes). Has the coil gotten VERY hot -> insulation of the thin wire melted / burnt -> THERE is Your electrical short ?
Do You want to unsolder the wire on one side of the coil - and then try again to "start up" ?

Has a piece of wire or a screwdriver or such been fallen into the cabinet making a short ?

I also have a Shangri-La: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2110 I have an idea "to track down" for the "relay having a short". In ipdb-shangri-La-Manual: On the first page we see the transformer and the fuse and after that, the wire runs to the "Right" - all the way through the machine / schema. All relays have one side of its / theirs / the coils connected to that wire. It is the connection to "transformer-phase-POWER".
On page-4 I see a Normally-Closed-Switch on Game-Over-Relay. And then a Normally-Closed-Switch on the RESET-RELAY. If I would put an insulating piece of paper into this switch - the switch on the reset-relay is OPEN (all the time): THEN I turn on the machine -> IF THE FUSE BLOWS: The relay (with the short) is on the LEFT side of that switch. IF THE FUSE DOES NOT BLOW: The relay (I am looking for, the one with the short) is on the RIGHT side of that switch.

On Page-5 of the schema I see an Normally-Closed switch on the Tilt-Relay: Same procedure ...
Want to try ?

I am interested in a copy of your schema - can You post it ? I bet, ipdb.org would also like to get a copy -> "to donate" is simple: Here (Cabaret): http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=415 -> to the Right -> click on the button "Submit Changes" and donate - someplace you should write down your real-EMail-address (just, if they have a question - they won't). It will take weeks until they show that / Your schema. ALL "cabaret-Owners" will like You. Greetings from Switzer-Winter-Land Rolf

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/68-williams-cabaret-blowing-24v-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.