Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi and thanks for being such a helpful bunch of folks...
doing a slow refurb on a Magic City and currently I have an issue where the ones reel is funky. It will count but not actually click over to the 10 after 9, just zero, then they start over. So the score reel is spinning, just not actually counting.

I have checked the 9 position SW and it checks out being in the correct position...

any ideas would be most helpful.

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

When scoring, is the ones score reel moving the correct number of turns, but the tens digit is not being pulsed? there is a 9 position switch that is supposed to close when the score reel is on 9... if you look at the reel there should be a small label that shows the position of this switch. On the tens digit reel, I believe there is also a switch that is part of this circuit. If either one of these switches is misadjusted, that could cause your issue... report back if you can tell which switches I am talking about/and if you see the score reel sticker I'm talking about.... sometimes these stickers fall off over time, especially on old Williams games.... but there should be one on at least one of the reels.

Don O

#3 9 years ago

Well, an interesting thing just happened...I checked the reels again and retested the counting, and it is working... not sure what if anything I did differently.

The only stickers that I SAW were identifiers as to which reels they were, not switch config.

One interesting thing it skips the zero (10, 20, 30 etc) and moves straight to the 11, 21, 31 etc... sometimes it also stopps halfway between. I am assuming that is due to gummy junk that an overhaul (of the reel) should remedy.

2 weeks later
#4 9 years ago

i would rebuild the score reels and ensure that the switches (especially the 9 and 0 position switches) are properly adjusted...

when you reset the game, does it reset to all zeroes, or all 1's...

#5 9 years ago

The one point relay will also have a switch that sends power to the 10s unit when the nine position switch on the 1s unit is closed. Maybe that switch is dirty or wasn't quite making.

Both things (nine position switch on the reel and the switch on the relay for that particular reel) have to be adjusted or the next reel up will not be energized.

1 month later
#6 9 years ago

thanks folks,
am commencing the rebuild on the score reels... ultrasonics and tumbling and waiting...

#7 9 years ago

cool, let us know what happens...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 12.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/67-williams-magic-city-score-reel-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.