(Topic ID: 189432)

'65 Bally Score Reel Sticks. BZZZZZZZZZ!!!

By RyanClaytor

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi All,

I'm working on a 1965 Bally "Sheba". Machine turns on, reels reset, ball pops into the shooter lane. That much is good. However, once the ball passes through the gate switch at the top of the shooterlane, the Player 1 one-point reel sticks on and starts buzzing. It does the same thing when ball drains and andvances to Player 2 (player 2 one-point reel sticks on and starts buzzing).

Things I have checked:
- score reel switches actuate and are gapped appropriately.
- playfield switches actuate and are gapped appropriately.
- backbox jones plugs have been lightly sanded with green scotch brite pads

Other suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
Ryan

#2 6 years ago

One point relay? Score reel EOS switch?

#3 6 years ago

I checked the 1 point relay. Seems to be good. I also checked the switches on the one point score real. Is that what you mean?

#4 6 years ago

I'm that that familiar with Bally reels but most score reels have their regular group of switches with a separate EOS switch. It can be easy to miss depending on it's placement. On some designs if that switch doesn't open the score reel locks on.

Another thing to look for, and again I'm not sure it applies to 60s Ballys are tension blades shorting a switch. I know you already checked the playfield switches but if it has tension blades between them they can sometimes be misadjusted to touch both switch blades. Easy to miss if you focused on contact gaps. I like to lift the playfield and look with a flashlight from underneath.

Sorry I told you to look where you already looked but those are the obvious places. For something weird to check in this situation I always check the playfield harness near the back of the playfield. I have had a few games with worn away cloth insulation if there is a sharp edge near where a harness bends. Obviously this can cause a short with varying results. My first Teacher's Pet would always spot me the "P". A recent Pro Pool lit multiple balls in play. Both drove me nuts for a bit.

#5 6 years ago

The schematic will have clues. Do you have one? Post a copy here or even better at IPDB.

#6 6 years ago

I tried A BUNCH of stuff tonight. Nothing changed the symptoms. A schematic should arrive tomorrow or Monday. Hopefully that will she'd some light on the situation.

#7 6 years ago

You might also have a switch that scores one point stuck closed. This sometimes happens if you replace the rubber rings.

#8 6 years ago

Lamp socket or bare wiring making contact with one of your switches ?

#9 6 years ago

Please post your schematic to IPDB. That will also help us help you.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Please post your schematic to IPDB. That will also help us help you.

Is that even legal? I know it's not for Gottlieb. Not sure about Bally. I'll talk with Steve Young about it. I'm not interested in burning bridges with him. I've got way too much respect for Steve and the services he provides for the hobby.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/65-bally-score-reel-sticks-bzzzzzzzzz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.