• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

05BA2FE0-A31B-4633-88D8-EF5BB7D9DE8C (resized).jpeg
ED892725-BC40-4179-9E5D-E4F21AB8F0FF (resized).jpeg
C72110A3-1AFB-4945-9C72-F98E35E29E59 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noflip95.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

Hi,

Quoted from Mitch:

Where did you get the replacement chip. Most nvram chips I've seen all say ramtron.

Yes, because it's a NVRAM (non volatile) and the Ramtron brand is specialized in this technology, but the original RAM is a basic 6264 Static RAM (CMOS). There is ton of manufacturers for the 6264. Original are from SHARP, but any other brand will fit nice.

Quoted from johnwest80:

I got it from action pinball. It’s their 6264 part #. Are there some that work better than others?

There is nothing weird here, they provided a memory from Alliance, which is a well-known manufacturer.

The original component is a LH5164-10, pinout and electrically compatible with 6264, having an access time of 100 ns. The component provide by Action Pinball is an AS6C6264-70, functionally identical, having an access time of 70 ns. So, it should work !

Unfortunately, it is becoming more and more common: sometimes new components do not work.
Myself, I've recently bought a batch of RIOT 6532 where about 40% were (partially) defective. And even worse with a 6821 batch, with 60% of default. And this is not a problem from China market ! this affect all countries, and even serious sellers can sell defective lots without knowing it.

I became very suspicious and now, I test all my components before using them.
If you have an EPROM programmer, usually, it include a test mode for basic components (TTL, CMOS and SRAM). Not all, but most of them have this feature.
I have been doing electronics for almost 40 years and we do not expect to come across faulty components when we buy new ones. But I think that today, we can no longer trust blindly, it is imperative to check its components before using them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noflip95.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/6264-replacement-chip-isn%e2%80%99t-working?tu=noflip95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.