Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ReplayAdjust.jpg
20140813_061938-520.jpg
20140813_062032-493.jpg
20140813_062056-39.jpg
20140813_062040-521.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Ok - I recently picked up a Cover Girl for a song... mostly because it was completely non-functional.

Among the several other things wrong was that the credit switches on the coin door had been mashed together... which probably explains why the replay/credit stepper was at maximum (showing 26...) A closer look at the replay unit showed that the main spring that helps the ratchet gear wind back down to zero was no longer anchored (still attached to the shaft, but the little hook that hangs out the side was unattached...)

So I took it all apart... removed the switches, unsoldered the coils so I could work on it out of the machine... and for the life of me I can't see how this spring would attach in a way that gives the wheel the full rotation expected to go from 0 credits up to 26

Unlike some other versions of this replay unit that I've found pictures for all over the internet it has two vertical posts to hit two different sets of switches - one of them is labeled 'knocker switch', and the other one are the normal two switches people seem to have on these.

If you see my attached pictures you'll see what I mean. One photo shows it at 0 credits, with only a small amount of tension on the spring

at zero creditsat zero credits

and the other photos show it at about 18 credits where the spring starts to bind. There is no way that you can get to 26 without really bending the spring and possibly unhooking it again.

20140813_062056-39.jpg20140813_062056-39.jpg20140813_062040-521.jpg20140813_062040-521.jpg20140813_062032-493.jpg20140813_062032-493.jpg

So, my theory is that the game would only allow you to have 15 credits even though the wheel shows 26. It must have stopped incrementing based on switch closure sometime around there... And that somehow the mashing of the credit switch on the coindoor made the thing add too many credits and then pop the spring off.

Or, I'm crazy and attaching the spring incorrectly. Anyone see this before and see what I'm doing wrong? or can you confirm that how I think it works is right?

#2 9 years ago

Move the screw post over to the left one more hole.

#3 9 years ago

There was a lengthy thread here not too long ago (sorry can't remember exactly) addressing this same issue. Ended up one (or both) of the posts were in the wrong hole(s).

#4 9 years ago

Specifically:

ReplayAdjust.jpgReplayAdjust.jpg

#5 9 years ago

I'll try that... but... the previous owner was clueless - I'm skeptical that he would have disassembled down far enough to take that post off, and then reassemble it wrong... But, I guess it could have been an owner before him... or perhaps the whole unit was a replacement that was improperly installed...

I'll try it and report back.

and - Thanks!

#6 9 years ago

That post is intended to be an adjustment for the operator. Many are set to 15 max credits originally from when they were on route. Most likely has nothing to do with what the previous owner did.

#7 9 years ago

So I moved the post to the other hole, as indicated, and now I can get up to about 22 (out of 26) credits before it binds.

I've never seen the machine working. The schematics are ordered they won't be here for a few days. I am guessing that one of the switches is activated by this post, and keeps the machine from accepting extra credits, somewhere before it gets to the point that it binds.

I'll have to unsolder the leaf switches, re-attach them to the unit, and see where they line up with the posts. And I'll probably have to wait till I get the schematics, to verify my supposition.

With this being my first EM, I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised about how much fun it is to work on. I've only ever worked on solid-state machines before...

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from minektur:

I am guessing that one of the switches is activated by this post, and keeps the machine from accepting extra credits, somewhere before it gets to the point that it binds.

Correct. The credit limiter post opens a normally closed switch (top switch of the switch stack), preventing the unit from stepping.

#9 9 years ago

Just set the post in the 15 credit hole and make sure the max credit switch opens at 15. That's how I set every Gottlieb I've ever had. Works like a dream.

#10 9 years ago

Side question: is there some online resource that shows me what switches do what and should be normally-open, normally-closed, etc? Something to help me calibrate this? the switches were all bent to heck before I owned this...

#11 9 years ago

The switch that opens at max credits is the max credit switch. It opens the replay step up coil circuit. The switch nearest the Bakelite spacer is the zero credit switch, it opens when there are no replays left, opening the replay button circuit. Never found out what the other of this pair do. The EOS switch on the step up coil is the one that fires the knocker coil.
Scroll to Gottlieb here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free
Another thing worth checking is the Bakelite spacer between the switches. They sometimes bend to a banana shape and can make switch operation a bit iffy, like if it's bent one way, it stops the fifteenth credit, making the max you can get fourteen. They sometimes crack and no longer support the switches properly. I've had to make new ones for the last three games I've done because they were cracked.

1 week later
#12 9 years ago

So, I got it all back together, with the post in the original position (the 15 Credit position) and adjusted the switches "right" - and it's all working. Stops at max credit of 15 without over-tightening the spring. The extra numbers on the wheel were what threw me off.

I was able to play a few balls, but I still have several things to fix up till it's in playable condition.

Thanks all for your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/60s-gottlieb-cover-girl-replay-unit-credit-stepper-spring-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.