(Topic ID: 107484)

60's (and 70s) Gottlieb - best art plus gameplay?

By gottem

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 8 years ago

My CC makes a very loud 'crack' with the knocker.

Great AAB, well worth tracking one down.

#32 8 years ago

One thing, if the 60's games you played are too slow, it's more than likely they have not been set up correctly and gone through properly. I think my quickest em is a 1961 Flipper Fair.

Another game to consider. Bank Shot 1976 AAB. Had this a while and miss it. This is a fast em. Wish I hadn't sold it!

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=169

Hard to find but nice ones do come up around $800 - 1200 tops.

And has a loud crack for the extra balls and lights up WOW balls on the backglass. And it is a great shot to hit the extra ball once all balls are potted.

Additionally it is really noisy as it adds the bonus!

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

Yep could be that. I played Ace High, Central Park, King of Diamonds, Ice Show, Melody Maker, World Fair, Show Boat, Egg Head, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting at Pintastic. All awful experiences (imo), except maybe Melody Maker...but I think I like the muscial aspect too much, giving more credit for that than I should!
All those games above, I really tried to like, the art is so nice and the woodrail...so cool. But on pretty much all of them could not get the ball back up past the middle and Ace High...not even to the middle, just 'near' and then fade back to the flippers (and usually a center drain too!) Just not fun. Too much like bagatelle, watch it drop down and do your best to shimmy the ball in the general direction of points. Bah!
Meanwhile I went back again, and again, and again to Pop-A-Card and Ship Ahoy, with PAC being my favorite of the two. That's the early games. Really enjoyed Spirit of 76 as a later game. Very easy to port the "feel" of PAC and 76 to what I see on YouTube now, next best thing to actually playing the games since I can't unless I go to Silverball or next Pintastic (if there is one?)

Oh boy, that is really disappointing.

Ace High is one of the best players of the 50's. Awesome game and at the very least flippers on regular tap/coils should get the ball to the top of the playfield.

Ice Show is another quick game with 5 active pop bumpers close to each other. Fast and hard.

World Fair is another great game and not at all slow.

It is a real shame when games are sluggish, wrong pitch, low voltages at shows. Just gives a real bad impression of the games.

Same with SS pins. I once played 3 White Water's at a show. 2 were awful and I thought it was an over rated title. Then I played the third one and it was a night and day experience.

My oldest game is 1954 Mystic Marvel. I have it on a nice pitch, regular coils, not high tapped. Ball easily gets to top of playfield. Thats how it should be.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

Thinking about that Team One in NY right now. Nice machine, nice price, not too far a drive. Anybody want to comment on whether it gets boring after a bit? I can see that maybe happening with limited amount of things to shoot for...

Team One by all accounts is an awesome player with a very average art package. If you can live with the art, check it out.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

We can probably chalk some of that up to my playing non-SS for the first time since the 70s this weekend! So my (lack of) skill combined with tech I'm not used, smaller bat, all that could be part of my poor experience. But then again, I had no problem with the 70s EMs...PopACard, Ship Ahoy, Spirit of 76, all felt good and fun to the same rookie? Some of it was a blur too, so many new games all at once...but I'm sticking with my overall impression being UGH on the sixties games and woodrail there.

70's games are way easier to play than 60's if you are not used to 2 inch flippers and they can beat anyone into a pulp!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/60s-and-70s-gottlieb-best-art-plus-gameplay?tu=shapeshifter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.