(Topic ID: 107484)

60's (and 70s) Gottlieb - best art plus gameplay?

By gottem

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Man, I don't know. I thought he "Ace High" played pretty well, and the "Egg Head" which was totally rebuilt and restored, played exceptionally well. The "Ice Show" and "King of Diamonds" played OK, but the "KOD" had "nothing done to it" as stated by the guy who brought it. Gotta agree on the "World Fair" and "Show Boat". They played poorly. "Melody" (no "Maker" in the name) played quite well too. "Ace High" has a very small center drain flipper gap, so losing it down the middle doesn't happen very often if you give it a nudge or two.

We can probably chalk some of that up to my playing non-SS for the first time since the 70s this weekend! So my (lack of) skill combined with tech I'm not used, smaller bat, all that could be part of my poor experience. But then again, I had no problem with the 70s EMs...PopACard, Ship Ahoy, Spirit of 76, all felt good and fun to the same rookie? Some of it was a blur too, so many new games all at once...but I'm sticking with my overall impression being UGH on the sixties games and woodrail there.

#52 8 years ago

buy whatever comes up locally at a low price, learn to fix them, play them--don't like--sell...repeat until you get what you like...don't go for a home run on your first few

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

buy whatever comes up locally at a low price, learn to fix them, play them--don't like--sell...repeat until you get what you like...don't go for a home run on your first few

Great advice.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Hear that, and it would work fine, if I didn't already have three other time/space consuming hobbies. Pinball is the smallest part of my life in interest and space (unfortunately).

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

. Pinball is the smallest part of my life in interest and space (unfortunately).

............... for now, until you get that first pin.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

We can probably chalk some of that up to my playing non-SS for the first time since the 70s this weekend! So my (lack of) skill combined with tech I'm not used, smaller bat, all that could be part of my poor experience. But then again, I had no problem with the 70s EMs...PopACard, Ship Ahoy, Spirit of 76, all felt good and fun to the same rookie? Some of it was a blur too, so many new games all at once...but I'm sticking with my overall impression being UGH on the sixties games and woodrail there.

70's games are way easier to play than 60's if you are not used to 2 inch flippers and they can beat anyone into a pulp!

#57 8 years ago

Dude find yourself a FIRE QUEEN best pin of all time in my opinion!

#58 8 years ago

What, no Surf Champ? Awesome art and pretty damn decent gameplay too!

1 week later
#59 8 years ago

60's pins

Diamond Jack/ KOD
Cowpoke/Buckaroo
Melody / Sing along
Flipper pool/ Bank a ball

70's pins

Gold Strike / El Dorado
Dimension
Lucky Hand / Jack's Open
Neptune/ hit the deck

Sold my pop a card and Capt. Card too barren once you drop the targets. Had Team One and Abra sold them but the Abra was very nice had to relinquish some games to obtain a high end Cowpoke. One great player that is a hidden gem is Free Fall. I had a nice original one set up in Allentown last year.

#60 8 years ago

For whatever reason I'm only now figuring out that Joker Poker looks like a lot of fun. Lucky Hand too!

#61 8 years ago

did you play my Ship Ahoy at Pintastic? I would buy a high end game done by pro. I knew both the seller & buyer on that pop
A Card. You buy a game from Him you get reliability and quality. I have both high end and projects games . My philosophy is pay the 1200 for the well tuned appealing to the eyes game. (if like you say pinball is your third hobby.) To get that PAC or Egg Head that nice youre talking upteen hours and beyond. Buy a POS mostly working game as well to learn touch up and adjustments. I am located in the Northeast as well. Lucky Hand is awesome nice examples are 1000-1500. Joker Poker is a muti-player and more crap can go wrong plus they are rarer and bigger bucks

#62 8 years ago

Abra Ca Dabra is a good choice!
Buckaroo, Gigi, Slick Chick, KoD or Canada Dry (even though El Dorado is the much better player) are also excellent... like many others, too

#63 8 years ago

What...no love for Dodge City!?!?!

I kind of look at this as, "what games have I sold, and what games have I kept". Since I help out at the pinball store this last year, I've gotten a chance to play most of the above mentioned and work on them. Abra Cadabra and Dodge City have been my keepers!

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

did you play my Ship Ahoy at Pintastic? I would buy a high end game done by pro. I knew both the seller & buyer on that pop
A Card. You buy a game from Him you get reliability and quality. I have both high end and projects games . My philosophy is pay the 1200 for the well tuned appealing to the eyes game. (if like you say pinball is your third hobby.) To get that PAC or Egg Head that nice youre talking upteen hours and beyond. Buy a POS mostly working game as well to learn touch up and adjustments. I am located in the Northeast as well. Lucky Hand is awesome nice examples are 1000-1500. Joker Poker is a muti-player and more crap can go wrong plus they are rarer and bigger bucks

Yes I enjoyed your Ship Ahoy. I'll pm you on the rest!

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

For whatever reason I'm only now figuring out that Joker Poker looks like a lot of fun.

It really is. Everybody should have one or two for at least a while. It doesn't have to be a single player to be a great game. I'm really liking Surf Side at the moment as it is a great player and a great looking machine.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

For whatever reason I'm only now figuring out that Joker Poker looks like a lot of fun.

Quoted from o-din:

It really is. Everybody should have one or two for at least a while. It doesn't have to be a single player to be a great game.

I really like Joker Poker and wouldn't mind an EM version, but for a $3000.00+ price tag a super nice Big Ball Bowler could be had and would be even more fun to compete on with 6 people.

Ken

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/60s-and-70s-gottlieb-best-art-plus-gameplay/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.