image-194.jpg
image-607.jpg
image-901.jpg
image-758.jpg
image-627.jpg
image-328.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1394.JPG
There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

If you had a roughly $6000 budget, what would you prefer, to purchase one NIB pin or three older quality pins of your choice? Games like JM, T2 and Gorgar just to name a few. Trying to figure out what's the best way to go with my budget. I would like to get the best value for my budget.

Thanks in advance.

#2 9 years ago

6k in my pocket >>>> 2 to 3 quality classics

#3 9 years ago

Demolition Man World Cup soccer and T2. All totally different from each other and very fun within your budget.

#4 9 years ago

1 pin will get old fast. Go the used route.

#5 9 years ago

Keep the money. 75 cents a game on the route.

#6 9 years ago

12 EMs.

#7 9 years ago

Run .... Run away...as fast as you can and don't look back. you can never look back

#8 9 years ago

I'd get a $3500 game and a $2500 one. You can get a couple of real nice games with decent staying power going that route over a single game that will probably devalue as soon as you open the box or over 3 games that you may tire of.
A TSPP and Congo mayhap?

#9 9 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic & The Shadow
Killer games for the price they go for.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

I'd get a $3500 game and a $2500 one. You can get a couple of real nice games with decent staying power going that route over a single game that will probably devalue as soon as you open the box or over 3 games that you may tire of.
A TSPP and Congo mayhap?

There are plenty of excellent pins under $2000. WCS, Demo Man, HS2 aren't games I would get tired of just because they don't cost as much as some others. In a smaller collection I'd prefer the variety.

#11 9 years ago

Add a little more and buy a NIB Mustang LE and don't look back.... no regrets!

#12 9 years ago

I guess it depends. Have you played the game you're considering buying NIB? If so, do you love it and think you're going to keep it for a long time? Can you afford a "hit" regarding value if you buy a NIB and decide you don't like it? Are you good at repairing/maintaining games?

If you've played the game you're considering buying new and you think you're going to keep it for a long time and you're not sure yet about repairing/maintaining your games then a NIB is probably the way to go.

If you don't have a lot of time on the game you're thinking about buying NIB or you're not sure if you're going to love it and don't want to take the "pay to play" hit on resale or if you're ok with doing a bit of repair maintenance, then I'd buy multiple games.

One other thing to consider is if you spend $6000 on a NIB game, will it be a while before you can afford to buy another game? No matter how good a game is, it eventually gets old when it's the only game you have. Buying more than one now will give you choices.

As all others will tell you - once you buy one, they'll multiply.

Dave

#13 9 years ago

Best value would be a $4000-$4200 Opened Out of Box like IM, MEt or ST and add a JM or T2 that you mentioned for under $2000.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from LordCrom:

If you had a roughly $6000 budget, what would you prefer

Head for Mexico?

#15 9 years ago

In the middle of buying a house. Sucks...Had to sell a lot of pin gems to local pinheads to put down a bigger down payment and pay the taxman. The 6k budget and then some has gone to crap that isn't important to me but my wife. I'm never gonna build another house again. So many great pin deals these days and I can't build my collection back up till I close. Ugh. First world problems I know.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Best value would be a $4000-$4200 Opened Out of Box like IM, MEt or ST and add a JM or T2 that you mentioned for under $2000.

This^^^^.....HUO MET Pro and an early DMD Bally/Williams

#17 9 years ago

Buy a NIB Pro model and use the difference for a classic 80's SS game

#19 9 years ago

FH and WH20/Shadow/TSPP/Some other of the era and range.

#20 9 years ago

I would buy a good condition TAF or TZ and have some money left over. You will have an awesome playing "classic" game. Couldn't ask for more.

#21 9 years ago

I'd get an AC/DC Premium

#22 9 years ago

How much room do you have? More is always better.

#23 9 years ago

That would buy you one (of 150) NIB, AMH. But I'd probably vote for 3 classics (or something like 2 classics and 2-3 EMs).

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

How much room do you have? More is always better.

30 Zizzles it is.

#25 9 years ago

$6000 wouldn't buy you nib stern pro in the uk
$7994 would buy a Star Trek pro or Twd pro
It sucks living in the uk when it comes to buy machines

#26 9 years ago

Buy my Avengers LE blue for $4650 and a great Williams game from the "B" pins out there... That's a better than new LE and a classic.

#27 9 years ago

Grab something like HS2, Whirlwind and then a Black Hole or something strange

#28 9 years ago

Probably get a really nice original MM.

#29 9 years ago

Buy 60 shares of Alibaba, wait 1 year then buy 2 games and pocket 3-4k. YMMV

#30 9 years ago

Grab the money and run. You'll spend double that easily in a year on pins soon enough (trust me, I did the math on my year here alone - it's exciting and yet depressing).

#31 9 years ago

Jackbot
Whirlwind
Bsd

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Jackbot
Whirlwind
Bsd

TFTC
NF

#33 9 years ago

Oh, I thought it was $6K to add to my collection. For me it would be a Funhouse (I have practically everything else I need and have room for!)

For you, hard to tell. I'd go the three game classic route and get less expensive, less popular games to start your stable. Get the popular stuff later. I say get three Williams/Bally WPC games. They'll hold their value and are easy to work on.

BoP
DM (need a widebody!)
???

#34 9 years ago

You give me 6k and I will buy a Metallica Premium. Thing is, I already have a bunch of pins. Starting from scratch, I would buy 3 or 4 pins from different eras with that 6k.

#35 9 years ago

Unshopped TZ and a Centaur...if I could find one.

#36 9 years ago

I'd buy 3 of the sub $2-2.5K games: Johnny, Judge Dredd, Demo Man, HS2 and Fish Tales. I'd stay with Bally/Williams, Gottlieb Sega's are too different so maintenance would be a bit of a pain.

#37 9 years ago

AFM

As I already have some budget b/w games

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Gregg nailed it I was a big time iron man hater but after playing one a lot lately I would go for one and a t2 or somethin like that

#40 9 years ago

Find a nice TSPP or FG and use the leftover cash to start a fund for your second game.

#41 9 years ago

As others have said one will get old. Get a few, learn to work on them and you can always sell them and get another. A NIB will depreciate and it will get old as a single game no matter how good it is.

#42 9 years ago
#43 9 years ago

I could not own just one. I would go with the above stated 3 B/W cheaper level pins. You could probably luck into two B/W DMD games and then find a couple of decent System 11s if you wait long enough. I just saw a rollergames sell locally for like $600, you can find PinBot under $1000 as well as High Speed and a couple of other 11s as well.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Unshopped TZ and a Centaur...if I could find one.

If I was starting out with $6k, and could find those two for $6k combined, that's likely what I would do.

#45 9 years ago

for $6k, starting out, you can get:
Congo $2500
Eight Ball Deluxe LE $1500 for a nice one
One System 11 like Pinbot, High Speed, F14, etc. for around $1000
A couple EMs or or an EM and random early SS Bally. for the last $1000.

5 great games for $6k.

#47 9 years ago

Starting out from zero pins I would buy one just to start and plan on a budget of about 1800--2800
Then you could alway add more in the future.

#48 9 years ago

well 12 fully working shopped out EM's. EM's are usually $500-600 each for nice working shopped ones.

Non working dirty. You can buy those $50-200 all day long.

#49 9 years ago

6k?
BF - 2200
SST - 1800
Stargate - 1800

Some change left over for parts.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

6k?
BF - 2200
SST - 1800
Stargate - 1800
Some change left over for parts.

This is one of the best lists i've seen that I havn't posted myself. This looks exactly like something I would post. Especially since I like all 3 of those games a lot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/6000-budget-what-would-you-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.