• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EE432E00-C0F3-4BC3-833E-B2694442FC83 (resized).jpeg
DFF2177E-2DD4-45E1-A2FD-8C8D3ACFB070 (resized).jpeg
Ford LTD (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Whether anyone agrees or disagrees with this is irrelevant.
The simple fact is that this works for Stern.
Instead of selling 500 LE, they now sell 600.
Instead of 30 BM66SLE, they sell 80.
People say 'that's it, I am done with Stern'.
Until James Bond LE is shown and it's 'take my money now'

There's a small portion of the population that is buying all the new games. An even smaller number buying them without at least playing them first. Piss off your standard customer addict base enough times, you are going to run out of customers. People are wrong when they say Stern doesn't owe us anything. They owe us respect. Without the customers buying these sight unseen, there is no Stern. If you are going to set a number, once money changes hands that number should not change. Sure people like the idea of more of a game out in the wild, but most of the pre-order LE buyers only keep their game up to a year. If they cannot get a reasonable re-sale price out of the game to fund the next game, they will cease to buy them. Regardless of how the apologists want to spin it, LE in the terms Stern is using means a limited number. There is a standard perception of what that means. It does NOT mean arbitrarily upping that number whenever you feel like it.

Yes that's a generalization, there's always the super rich money is no object crowd that will buy anything without a second thought, but they are still a smaller portion of the picture. It's basically a debate in integrity between the rich and super rich. People with some morals realize that shady marketing practices should not be encouraged, which in our case the only option is to speak with the wallet. Unfortunately some peoples addictions and keeping up with the jone's mentality work against them.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Real Talk.
Will it matter if or when Stern makes a color playfield premium?
Secondary market is usually my route towards obtaining a pinball machines. I only buy LE NIB if it’s a strong design and theme.
The way I see it, I’m not too worried about limited numbers with pinball machines anymore because the more machines that exist, the more demand for spare parts will be when things break and THINGS WILL BREAK IN THE FUTURE

The more there are, the more it will impact the secondary market. How much? It won't be known until people have them in hand and have spent some time with them. Are they keepers or not, etc. It won't truly have an impact until they move on to their next machine....and even then, they could come out with another premium or more releases years down the road (like AC/DC).

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m planning on starting a National Pinaholics group.
Gonna get some outside “addiction” sponsors and set up a 1-800 hot line
A new release comes out and the Sponsor calls you right away

Has anyone set up a pinball Go Fund Me account yet?

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

So, normally I would ignore a poll someone starts for “he who shal not be named” but since the lemmings are coming out so will I.
The 600 is not the issue, it’s whether or not the prices will hold with an extra 100 produces. NO ONE CARES!!! To the collectors, I hope you buy the Franklin Mint crap thinking it’s a collectors item. Big news....it’s not. Just like the collectors edition of a pinball isn’t. Quit listening to that dumb ass and begging for “an investment” your never going to collect on. It’s pinball not an exotic car. It’s always been the experience and fun of playing and that can be had for $.25. Ok $1, but my point is that same. Does having the machine in your house make it any more fun then going to the bar with your friends and throwing $10 in a game. NO. Quit looking for something that’s not there. All this rhetoric does is fuels someone ego. Go play the game and have fun not over analyze the machine and price to see if your getting your money’s worth. If your asking that then you shouldn’t be buying pinball in the first place!
P.S. If one of those millionaires really wants a special pinball experience that’s truly unique, have them get a custom one off pinball made. Lots of great pinball home brew/ retheme experts that would love to get paid for their efforts.

A thread dedicated to the discussion and people come in here to basically tell people to 'shut up their opinion doesn't matter'. If you actually read any of the responses and took them in, and maybe, I dunno, considered someone other than yourself, it might make sense to you that your post sounds like you completely missed the point. Are they right or wrong? Too early to tell. It doesn't change the fact -- and to use Franklin Mint as your example. If FM came out and said get this super rare gold plate - hurry only 10,000 made! And then a week later - hurry only 15,000 made! People would have an issue with that as well. Where it falls apart is, if FM doesn't say how many of their super rare gold plates they are actually making (which I think in many cases they don't). It's a very fine distinction. If stern never gave a number (and let's be honest with ourselves here - they give that number to create a false sense of rarity - it's marketing 101) then people wouldn't be having an issue.

I do agree that if people are complaining, and they legit had orders in, and they don't cancel them..well it's just hot air. Is it the end of the world? No.

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

IIRC, Pros came about as ops complained that cheap mechs and bling and added Kenner toys screwed down to bumpercaps was not worth the added $$$ and demanded cheaper games. Premiums became the trim level of the fickle collector, and LE’s became the plaything of the rich and famous, or at least just the rich with deep pockets and those selling plasma to fund their addiction. The “artwork is whats different” thinking between Premium and LE is kind of like a artificial, no cost way of pushing demand of the color LE up and to capitalize fully they needed the extra 100 units. I’ve been asking non pinheads about “limited” and how they would react if a company that they bought from did this. The only pushback came from people buying art, were they said there are real legal definitions to “limited” and how the word is applied.

No matter how people spin it, Stern stating LE and numbers is a marketing strategy to increase perceived value. When you state a specific number that is intent. Is there a difference? Some. Is there THAT much difference with a 100? Questionable. With anything 'collectable' it really depends on demand. There is certainly way more value with a lesser number for something that is in demand. Stern are not saying "hey we'll make more, so we'll lower the price". Thus it comes off as disingenuous and a money grab. The ones saying it makes no difference don't care now, but you can bet if they ever go to sell and can't get what they want out of the game, they will complain then. The pinball resale world is strong right now, but it won't always be. Basically, I see both sides of this, and we're all just going to have to wait and see how it actually impacts things if at all. People who really want the game are going to buy it either way.

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I think it should be pretty clear, but in case stating the obvious helps, Stern doesn't care BECAUSE you (the buyers) don't care. I don't care as I am not a NIB buyer for this game (or any other game yet ; I do appreciate you guys feeding me used games now and then though...).

This feels true; if someone took the time to type out ever modern Stern, there are a lot of great games, and some games that are just "eh". Some of the "less good" games are way more rare than the greats (CSI/24 vs. LoTR/SW). If I only had one slot to fill in my collection I would get the better game over the rare game up to a "poor but rare game" and I have a 9 game collection....
And 100% agree that 500 is not really that limited in this market...

The number will always be 'limited' by demand. I think Addams Family is a very good example. That has the highest run, yet look at the prices still to this day. It is because of the high demand.

Then you have the very rare games that are high priced simply because there's only a handful of them. The problem is MOST people haven't even played those games to know if they want it or if they are even fun. It is a completely different collectability mindset.

That is why the jury is still out on Munsters.

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Nice........I (and many others that buy LE's on occasion) fall into none of those categories.....

There are always caveats to any statement. That being said, he's not far off. I doubt the 85% are buying NiB pins on any regular basis.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/600-munster-les-does-it-matter?tu=Zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.