Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 141 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rivv
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 6.10.11 PM (resized).png
    DVD (resized).jpg
    0bbd7f1b185fdff0a2a809a7908a1fcc (resized).jpg
    qujebt6gibw51 (resized).jpg
    121616788_3702770873086849_3235438048792743834_n (resized).jpg
    65168BB8-A890-4C2D-9B22-E8500F19B916 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    7EB67400-FD5A-4C60-9A9A-7A76F059EBC7 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    F4314283-2B9D-4413-89FA-B907C3E18EFF (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    ED (resized).jpg
    KIMG0308 (resized).jpg
    KIMG0306 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210201_194427459 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210202_005158202 (resized).jpg
    5DB8B12F-5377-449A-8EE3-C22827FE1DAF (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

I did realize this was probably a long shot but I was hoping to reach someone in a rural community that’s into the physical media or doesn’t have a great high speed connection to make streaming possible. I’ve updated the listing with pictures of the movies and I under estimated how many were up there.

#52 3 years ago

I take stuff that will never happen for $1000 Alex.

I collect all media and I can tell you all value fell out over 10 years ago even for Blu ray. Only very rare titles are worth anything.

#53 3 years ago
    BFB18A4D-D650-45A0-84CC-3B0878917C53 (resized).pngBFB18A4D-D650-45A0-84CC-3B0878917C53 (resized).png
    #54 3 years ago

LOL - I also have a huge collection of DVDs & Blu-Rays that when ready I will just give away.
    DVD's are worthless due to low resolution
    Blu-rays are on the way out due to 4k/8k and streaming

Physical media is just about dead unless it's vinyl

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

I did realize this was probably a long shot but I was hoping to reach someone in a rural community that’s into the physical media or doesn’t have a great high speed connection to make streaming possible. I’ve updated the listing with pictures of the movies and I under estimated how many were up there.

I'm as much a fan of a long shot as anyone, and I appreciate the effort. But I think the problem is you are WAY overestimating the value by saying you want a Stern pro in trade. Taking a quick glance at the pics you posted, it looks like the vast majority are DVD and they simply aren't worth much. Honestly, you are probably talking an average of $1-2 each. You might want to set your sights on an EM or early SS, or a project of some variety. But saying trade for a $5k+ machine is what is rubbing people wrong. Or if you really only want a Stern pro in return, you should be expecting to put in $4k or so cash into the deal. Trust me, my huge collection of movies wishes this wasn't reality, but it is. Hell, if I had all the money back I spent on them over the years, I could have at least 3-4 NIB pros. But if I ever sold them I know I'd be lucky to get a Sys11 back out of them.

Either way, this has gotten some decent discussion of physical media going, so there's that. I almost feel like we need a fan club topic. Would be fun to see people share their rare, obscure, or just fun movie releases.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

Looks like a pretty typical movie collection you'll find on FB marketplace for $500ish. TV seasons and complete series hold their value pretty well, but I don't see many of those there. Movies for the most part are 50 cents or less. People typically watch a movie once or twice, but they'll watch a favorite TV series dozens of times.

#57 3 years ago

Just for fun I went to one of the online "we buy your DVD" websites (decluttr.com) and entered the info for an 8 disc Harry Potter Blu-ray set that has all 8 of the original movies. The site offered me $4.99, or about $0.63 per movie.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

I looked at the thread title again and thought you had added an amp to sweeten the deal.

#59 3 years ago

You got BMX Bandits in there?

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Amen. I have about 700 blu rays, and I love them. Physical media, be it vinyl or movies, are fun to collect, own and enjoy. But they’re not worth anything, and that’s okay.
    The enjoyment is knowing I can watch or listen to whatever I want, whenever I want, regardless of any streaming service. Good luck OP, but it’s a tough sell.

I am in the same boat, I like the ease of streaming but the fact you don't own anything is a bit of a bummer. You are basically renting it at best which is ok for most things I guess. The fact services can remove or edit media whenever they want I don't like. If a certain album (or CD) movie or tv series is something I want to make sure I can watch or listen to it in original form anytime I go with physical media.

Good luck OP with you endeavor, never hurts to ask.

#61 3 years ago

This thread is unintentionally highlighting how remarkable it is that pinball machines hold their value so well. Those DVDs have depreciated almost to nothing.

#62 3 years ago

Pinside really needs to start approving ads being posted or control this somehow to keep it to pinball or pinball related parts. Can you imagine if more people start to list things they have around the house to sell towards a pinball? Where does it stop?

I have a treadmill and an exercise bike I’d trade towards a project pin. Also, a fish tank, some vintage pieces of furniture. Maybe I should list them

#63 3 years ago

Since those are mostly DVDs with few blu-rays, I'd like to revise my earlier post to say I have a crisp $50 bill and a crumpled tenner.

#64 3 years ago

I got about 50 laserdisc's and 4 CED's, plus 1 of each player. PM me with offers, looking for JJP and B/W A titles, and newer sterns only

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from Happy81724:

Pinside really needs to start approving ads being posted or control this somehow to keep it to pinball or pinball related parts. Can you imagine if more people start to list things they have around the house to sell towards a pinball? Where does it stop?
    I have a treadmill and an exercise bike I’d trade towards a project pin. Also, a fish tank, some vintage pieces of furniture. Maybe I should list them

I dont see a problem , ive made some pretty interesting trades before ...including a 3 way trade involving a garage door, a dipsey doodle EM, and a kayak

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I dont see a problem , ive made some pretty interesting trades before ...including a 3 way trade involving a garage door, a dipsey doodle EM, and a kayak

And a duck?

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

You listed all those on pinside in ad for trade?

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from Happy81724:

You listed all those on pinside in ad for trade?

No, ive only listed garage doors for trade for pinballs...the kayak was someone else's idea to get a deal done

#69 3 years ago

A surprise is that LaserDiscs have made a comeback the past few years. If anyone has any for sale let me know and I'll send a few people your way.

enoip_1891 (resized).jpgenoip_1891 (resized).jpg

#70 3 years ago

Yikes a lot more DVDs then Blu Rays... I can offer 7 bucks and a chocolate yoohoo

#71 3 years ago

I think gryzzz started this trend with his corvette

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

No, ive only listed garage doors for trade for pinballs...the kayak was someone else's idea to get a deal done

Quoted from cosmokramer:

I don’t see any garage doors in your history for a pin? Those are usually Craigslist ads. Just like the giant inflatable clown head on Craigslist a guy had listed to trade for a pin. Maybe I’m in the minority to keep pinside from being a free for all Craigslist but I’m sure there is a reason you don’t have a running ad for garage doors on pinside

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from Happy81724:

I don’t see any garage doors in your history for a pin? Those are usually Craigslist ads. Just like the giant inflatable clown head on Craigslist a guy had listed to trade for a pin. Maybe I’m in the minority to keep pinside from being a free for all Craigslist but I’m sure there is a reason you don’t have a running ad for garage doors on pinside

You are correct, I did not have a for sale ad here on pinside. It was only discussed here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-i-turned-205-into-a-very-nice-no-fear#post-1786242 and also in a few other threads. I still dont have a problem with ads like this one...maybe it's time I put a garage door ad on pinside?
    Most system 11s and better considered...

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

You are correct, I did not have a for sale ad here on pinside. It was only discussed here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-i-turned-205-into-a-very-nice-no-fear#post-1786242 and also in a few other threads. I still dont have a problem with ads like this one...maybe it's time I put a garage door ad on pinside?

Go for it. I’ll add my treadmill and exercise bike.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from Happy81724:

Any pics of the treadmill and fish tank?... i have a populated badcats playfield you may be interested in

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Depends are they 600 dirty block “buster” movies ?!

Buster? I barely know her!!!

#77 3 years ago

Even up.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #78 3 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

A surprise is that LaserDiscs have made a comeback the past few years. If anyone has any for sale let me know and I'll send a few people your way.
    [quoted image]

LD rules. I unironically love it, but sorry, not for sale. Trades for pinball only. I have a lot of great Steven Seagal movies and Robocop criterion collection among many others

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Any pics of the treadmill and fish tank?... i have a populated badcats playfield you may be interested in

Yep, here you go. Plan on donating the fish back to the local pet shop. the wife is tired of it. You make the drive and I’ll trade

5DB8B12F-5377-449A-8EE3-C22827FE1DAF (resized).jpeg5DB8B12F-5377-449A-8EE3-C22827FE1DAF (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #80 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd offer a crisp $100 bill to take them off your hands

You know it's going to get interesting when one of the mods decides to jump in on the fun.

#81 3 years ago

I still buy DVDs, mostly for $2.99 at Goodwill, and new Blurays for movies I love. I got tired of not finding most of my favorite movies on Netflix or Amazon Prime and started actively buying them again. And streaming and torrents are usually lower quality.

#82 3 years ago

I predict 1 stern pro will be worth 2000 DVD's by christmas.

#83 3 years ago

Some of you guys are bagging on DVDs a little too hard. There are a ton of crap releases, but a nice print on a dual-layer disc can still look good on a 4k display with upscaling. It all depends on how much work went into it. I have DVD movies that look just as good, if not better, than their streamed counterparts. If you are more than a casual movie watcher, there's a lot to be said for being able to watch the movies you want at any time, as apposed to being at the mercy of streaming services.

#84 3 years ago

Laserdiscs only for me and probably nearly 200 of them right now. Some I have are worth in the $40 to $50 each range.

PXL_20210201_194427459 (resized).jpgPXL_20210201_194427459 (resized).jpgPXL_20210202_005158202 (resized).jpgPXL_20210202_005158202 (resized).jpg
    #85 3 years ago

Is this the new flesh bound club thread?

How do you like yours cooked?

KIMG0306 (resized).jpgKIMG0306 (resized).jpg
    #86 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I predict 1 stern pro will be worth 2000 DVD's by christmas.

480p by Christmas.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Is this the new flesh bound club thread?
    How do you like yours cooked?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I still have my set of Faces of Death cassettes though I haven't seen my Betamax player in 20 plus years?

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I got about 50 laserdisc's and 4 CED's, plus 1 of each player. PM me with offers, looking for JJP and B/W A titles, and newer sterns only

KIMG0308 (resized).jpgKIMG0308 (resized).jpg
    #89 3 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Some of you guys are bagging on DVDs a little too hard. There are a ton of crap releases, but a nice print on a dual-layer disc can still look good on a 4k display with upscaling. It all depends on how much work went into it. I have DVD movies that look just as good, if not better, than their streamed counterparts. If you are more than a casual movie watcher, there's a lot to be said for being able to watch the movies you want at any time, as apposed to being at the mercy of streaming services.

Can look ok with upscaling,
    none of my old DVD's upscaled on my OPPO - look as good as a 1080P or 4k stream
    I loved collecting physical media - but it's dead when you can stream 4k and soon 8k
    My guess is there will never be an 8K blu-ray player - 4K was the end of the line

#90 3 years ago

Is there a currency conversion formula for DVD to Zizzle?

#91 3 years ago

What's really missing to sweeten the DVD offering is a side spiff of your choice of Deli Meats and Shasta flavor.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Is there a currency conversion formula for DVD to Zizzle?

4 blu-rays and a jar of orville's popcorn.

#93 3 years ago

What if they were movies on vinyl VHD?

#94 3 years ago

Yeah, the quality of streamed movies can get rough. I love submarine flicks, but anytime Netflix compression tries to handle underwater murky blue-gray, it's an ugly dance of squares and bands, worse than DVD upscale.

P.S. Sooooo reminded of Todd Tuckey's poster guy. Ah, the memories...

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Can look ok with upscaling,
    none of my old DVD's upscaled on my OPPO - look as good as a 1080P or 4k stream
    I loved collecting physical media - but it's dead when you can stream 4k and soon 8k
    My guess is there will never be an 8K blu-ray player - 4K was the end of the line

To be fair, I haven't seen much native 4k streamed content yet, so it's hard to compare. I wasn't trying to suggest a DVD is just as good as 4k. I definitely agree that when 4k-8k streaming becomes the norm, that the DVDs will be outclassed. Still, there are a lot of weird movies out there that, to date, have only been released on older formats. I'd rather have them available on DVD than not have them at all.

#96 3 years ago

I'm in on the Flesh Bound Club. Autographed by the main cast as well as the special effect guy and composer.

ED (resized).jpgED (resized).jpg
    #97 3 years ago

I'm going to disagree with you 100% on that one. A 4K stream looks completely inferior when compared to a physical UHD disk. A Netflix 4K with either HDR10 or Dolby Vision stream clocks in between 13 - 17Mbps. Depending on the 4K disk type, UHDs clock in between 40 - 80Mbps, but have the ability to run at 128Mpbs. I am aware that newer MPEG5 video codecs have the potential to close the gap, but I don't see them coming to a streaming service in the near future.

Additionally, the disk almost always carries lossless audio whereas the audio of a stream is compressed.

#98 3 years ago

Good luck with the trade, you may never know who might be interested given the overlap of media collectors and pinball collectors. One of the first unusual trades I did in the 1980s was to exchange a Toyota Tercel for a bunch of new LaserDiscs.

Our vinyl and wax collection includes Edison cylinders, 78s, LPs, 45s, and CEDs spanning both music and video; and yes, we have old working tech that can play them. For digital media our collection includes CDs, LaserDiscs, DVDs, Blu Rays, and a few DIVXs, HD DVDs, and Ultra HD Blu Rays. We did however pare down our magnetic media and only have some VHS and cassette tapes having parted ways with our reel-to-reel and 8-track tapes to another collector in a trade!

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from m00nmuppet:

... I love submarine flicks, but anytime Netflix compression tries to handle underwater murky blue-gray, it's an ugly dance of squares and bands, worse than DVD upscale.
    P.S. Sooooo reminded of Todd Tuckey's poster guy. Ah, the memories...

"Artifacting".

#100 3 years ago

Physical media is just about dead unless it's vinyl

Or video games.

There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/600-dvd-ampamp-blu-ray-movies-for-stern-pinball/page/2?hl=rocketfromtombs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.