11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by lint
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“60's & 70's Metal Gottlieb Replay Button”

• Just buy new buttons. 6 votes
      100%
    • I have had the same thoughts. 0 votes
    • Try refurbishing the button, although time is money. 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 6 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

canon02042917a 003 (resized).JPG

#1 11 months ago

Need some input regarding the Replay Button (start button). Looking at improving the look of the front of a few Gottliebs.

I have bought new Buttons from PBR, they are reasonably priced at $3.25. Some of the lower quality pins I have do not need a new button. Have seen some games on Pinside with the button painted bright red, which doesn't look quite right. The red colour is more translucent on the new buttons. What has been applied to the bare metal buttons to make them look this way? Are they anodized?

Could a translucent red paint or dye be applied to the buttons? Take the button out, buff it, clean it, then colour it, could cost more than just getting a new ones.

#2 11 months ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Need some input regarding the Replay Button (start button). Looking at improving the look of the front of a few Gottliebs.
    I have bought new Buttons from PBR, they are reasonably priced at $3.25. Some of the lower quality pins I have do not need a new button. Have seen some games on Pinside with the button painted bright red, which doesn't look quite right. The red colour is more translucent on the new buttons. What has been applied to the bare metal buttons to make them look this way? Are they anodized?
    Could a translucent red paint or dye be applied to the buttons? Take the button out, buff it, clean it, then colour it, could cost more than just getting a new ones.

I use a VHT anodised red spray can. For me the $3.25 + exch rate + shipping makes the spray can a good buy. Probably only need one can for a lifetime!

canon02042917a 003 (resized).JPG

#3 11 months ago

I've found that the new buttons also wear very quickly - when actuated, the metal to metal scraping on the coin door hole fades the button sides rapidly.

#4 11 months ago

Some people simply color the button with a red Sharpie marker.

#5 11 months ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

I've found that the new buttons also wear very quickly - when actuated, the metal to metal scraping on the coin door hole fades the button sides rapidly.

You must be playing the living hell out of your games, because I have buttons in machines I restored 7-8 years ago that look like the day they came from PBR.

#6 11 months ago

" VHT anodised red spray" sweet, good thing I save those 20 or 30 buttons.

#7 11 months ago

Really good answers, thanks.

Once a new button is installed, those metal flipper buttons with their worn off red colour will not match any more. It is a real slippery slope on replacing old parts for new, on a 40 plus year old game.

Thinking that if a layer of paint is applied, the paint will just rub off, on the sides, as it is pushed into the coin door. A dye or ink goes on much thinner.

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

You must be playing the living hell out of your games, because I have buttons in machines I restored 7-8 years ago that look like the day they came from PBR.

I must have a tight door hole , played probably about 200 games in the year since I replaced the replay button on a Bank-A-Ball. Flipper buttons (also replaced at the same time) look like new though.

I save all my old buttons, too... may try the sharpie first

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

" VHT anodised red spray" sweet, good thing I save those 20 or 30 buttons.

I'm right there with you.

#10 11 months ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Really good answers, thanks.
    Once a new button is installed, those metal flipper buttons with their worn off red colour will not match any more. It is a real slippery slope on replacing old parts for new, on a 40 plus year old game.
    Thinking that if a layer of paint is applied, the paint will just rub off, on the sides, as it is pushed into the coin door. A dye or ink goes on much thinner.

I hit the metal flipper buttons with the anodised red spray and cleared also-fully matched!

#11 11 months ago

Anybody make a red clear version of that button you could illuminate?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 40.00
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    RPGCor
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 234.99
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside