Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CMaMWbP.gif
    wizards fairy fight.gif
    tumblr_m5kw3dmTfO1qf9djko1_400.gif
    p8121_p_v8_aa.jpg
    7EnodUt.gif
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    potter (resized).jpg
    220px-The_Lord_of_the_Rings_(1978) (resized).jpg
    imgres (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

"Trying to appear cool" lol.

That's what's missing today....

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Anyone want to take a stab at dating it based on the games seen?

1976-77

#8 6 years ago

This is a fairly accurate representation of what pinball was like in the late 70s when I was a teenager.

Almost as real as that arcade scene from the movie Dazed and Confused.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So Dazed & Confused with hip kids ready for a night of partying is little more real than middle aged men playing pinball in the worst clothes I've ever seen?

Exactly! That may be what LA was like, but here in the suburbs Dazed and Confused was spot on! From the high school parking lot looking like a car show, to open fields where we would all gather till the wee hours of the morning.

And that pool hall with all the pinball machines and kids getting stoned brings back memories for sure. Don't remember too many adults being around except like that McConaughey character as there were always a couple of those.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

I never played pinball in the 70’s because I was sexually frustrated.

Ha! We played not only because it was fun and cheap, but also because it was where the other cool kids gathered including plenty from the opposite sex.

If there was one defining moment that put an end to the 70s and it's relaxed, partying culture, I'd have to say it was this. Thus started the most uptight decade I can remember, and in some ways we are still reeling from it.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

Just think, Capt. Fantastic was a new game then..

I remember when they dropped a new Captain Fantastic at one of the local malls.

Never before had there been a game so easy to win a replay on! You want to talk about making your pocket change last...

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Weird not seeing a single electronic game.

They were new and most still in the experimental stage.

I remember when they first started popping up, and the cold reality hit that pinball as we had known it was being killed and it would never be the same again.

They felt hollow compared to what we were used to. At the time I had never seen inside them but turns out that's exactly what they were...hollow.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

“the man who made the first x-rated cartoon”,

Ralph Bakshi not only did Fritz The Cat, but also went on to do Wizards and Lord of the Rings among others.

Whatever he said in this interview does not change my opinion of him as one of the greatest animated movie producers of our time.

220px-The_Lord_of_the_Rings_(1978) (resized).jpg220px-The_Lord_of_the_Rings_(1978) (resized).jpg

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Sandwiched between the two was the new scourge called AIDS.

I thought it was some washed up old actor that was sandwiched in between them. He could hardly remember his lines and keep a straight face at the same time

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

except for the whole weird paddling thing. We didn't do that shit.

True. But Hoby Brenner put me in a trash can once when I was a freshman. He was a football player. A real big guy. You might have heard of him. That's what I get for having an older brother with friends.

#31 6 years ago

We had Keith Van Horne of 80s Bears fame on that high school football team along with state wrestling champ Matt Clark and some others. The Indians were a real powerhouse back then but never won it all. Got really close though.

#34 6 years ago

Interesting as this video was done in a city that until recently didn't have any pinball. And not for many years. Where 30 miles away, we had them since I could walk. So we were kind of oblivious to their situation.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from RoyGBev:

Not my judgement of Bakshi though, I don't know his work at all.

I must have watched this one 20 times already. Many times in the theater back in the day. Took several viewings just to remember what it was about.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

They don't and wont make em' like that anymore.

Indeed.

wizards fairy fight.gifwizards fairy fight.gif
    CMaMWbP.gifCMaMWbP.gif

tumblr_m5kw3dmTfO1qf9djko1_400.giftumblr_m5kw3dmTfO1qf9djko1_400.gif

#44 6 years ago

Beside the far out Bakshi movies, this video does give a good representation of the games that were shipped to our area in the 70s. Lots of four players and mostly Ballys and Williams.

After the big success of Fireball in the early 70s, Bally was pretty much the king around here with it's modern look and forward thinking gameplay. Each new one always drew a crowd. And that went on well into the 80s.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/60-minutes-pinball-report-mid-70s?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.