(Topic ID: 131795)

6 V LED strips - yes finally 6 V led strips (not 12 V)

By BioBa

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by BioBa
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mBTwaPpl.jpeg
    frhibqyl.jpeg
    20141206_142127.jpg
    20141206_142200.jpg
    20150629_181516.jpg
    20150629_182047.jpg
    LED_strip_small.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I have received custom made 6 V led strips with NEW 3M adhesive backing in white, red, blue, green and purple. These can be connected/soldered straight to your 6 V GI bulb outlets for some awesome effect lighting. While the 12 V strips are readily available they are only good for the 12V continuous outlet spots. 6 V are virtually impossible to get (especially at a reasonable price).
    You can cut the strips to any length you want and solder two wires to the connectors.
    A$9.50/m (60 led/m) plus A$7.50 world wide shipping. (That is in Australian dollars, about 20% lower than US$)
    Send me pm with your paypal details and shipping address if interested.

LED_strip_small.jpgLED_strip_small.jpg

#2 8 years ago

How much for that Roll in the Pict above ?

#3 8 years ago

Nice would led too see some pics of them installed or on

#4 8 years ago

A full roll is 5 m (10% discount buying full 5 m rolls).
    I will take some pictures. Give me 30 min. They are VERY bright. Big talking point from my existing customers how bright they are.

#5 8 years ago

20150629_181516.jpg20150629_181516.jpg20150629_182047.jpg20150629_182047.jpg

#6 8 years ago

They are actually brighter then my 12V ones. Very hard to take pictures of them. Confuses the camera having such a bright input.

#7 8 years ago

How much is the roll you have pictured above ?

#8 8 years ago

Nobody does math anymore?

#9 8 years ago

Will they run on A/C, so we could use them as GI ?

#10 8 years ago

$9.50au × 5 - 10% + $7.50au so about tree fity right?

$50.25AU shipped

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yes Vid.

#12 8 years ago

another option is to simply up-convert the 6v to 12v with a $3.50 board:
    ebay.com link: 30W DC 3 3V 3 7V 5V 6V to 12V Step Up Boost Module LED Moter Router Power Supply

And run standard 12v $9 strips from amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EHHLD8

that board handles up to 2.5A, enough to run at least 125 LED's

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

ebay.com link » 30w Dc 3 3v 3 7v 5v 6v To 12v Step Up Boost Module Led Moter Router Power Supply
    amazon.com link »

Would you not need to put in a bridge rectifier to convert the ac to dc before hitting that board??? Im probably wrong.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

ebay.com link » 30w Dc 3 3v 3 7v 5v 6v To 12v Step Up Boost Module Led Moter Router Power Supply
    amazon.com link »

Yes that would work but would means that all your GI circuit would run on 12V. That is not really practical for most of us as we only want to use the strips on selected locations and do not want to replace all 6V lamps to 12V lamps.

A word of caution.
    After some more testing on a Stern I have to say that they definitely work great on the GI circuit. On the playfield circuit with constant on-off they are a lot less bright and on-of is dull. I am not an electronics wiz so I am not exactly sure why in playfield applications this is happening?

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yes they work best in GI but seem to work not so well on the playfield circuit.

#17 8 years ago

I also got some nice 12V white 8 smd flashers on flex base at US $1.45. Great add on lol

20141206_142200.jpg20141206_142200.jpg

20141206_142127.jpg20141206_142127.jpg

#19 8 years ago

Some before and after shots of one of my customers The Shadow. Small upper playfield with and without purple strip.

frhibqyl.jpegfrhibqyl.jpeg

mBTwaPpl.jpegmBTwaPpl.jpeg

#20 8 years ago

I'm really interested, but I am not entirely convinced whether or not you can directly hook them up to a GI string and make them work without flickering. If that's not the case, then I'll want a roll of all colors you have!

#21 8 years ago

Why do you think they should be flickering? Do your other GI led flicker on your machine?
    On your GI they are on all the time. On your playfield control circuit you probably will get some flickering but not on your GI circuit. I have sold now quite a few no problems yet.

#22 8 years ago

GI is often AC. Depending on the LEDs and whether the power is rectified with diode bridges or not, only half the wave will light the LEDs. At the low frequency used, this strobing is easy for the eye to see. This is especially noticeable as the eye scans the field, leaving a momentary dashed pattern on your retina from them flicker and eye movement. If rectified, fewer people will see it at full brightness. Keeping power saving off becomes essential.

There are ways to smooth this out but it adds to the parts and assembly cost. Rectifier bridges to see the full AC power wave instead of just the half; adding a capacitor to charge/discharge to further even the voltage out before reaching he LEDs.

Another option is Herg's LED OCD and GI OCD boards. They are still AC but much much higher frequency. The B/W GI boards are programmable on how much of a duty cycle to use on the LEDs as well as how quickly to ramp up/down the brightness when the game applies or removes the signal. This way incandescent can be emulated. Herg's Stern GI board is simple dumb and cheap - just basically a regulated and smoothed DC supply. All of these are really only options if you want to led the entire game; and work best with non specialized LEDs. Don't need anti flicker or anti ghosting LEDs; simply get the cheapest LEDs that give you the color and brightness you desire.

Coming back to your string of lights:

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

GI is often AC. Depending on the LEDs and whether the power is rectified with diode bridges or not, only half the wave will light the LEDs. At the low frequency used, this strobing is easy for the eye to see. This is especially noticeable as the eye scans the field, leaving a momentary dashed pattern on your retina from them flicker and eye movement. If rectified, fewer people will see it at full brightness. Keeping power saving off becomes essential.
    There are ways to smooth this out but it adds to the parts and assembly cost. Rectifier bridges to see the full AC power wave instead of just the half; adding a capacitor to charge/discharge to further even the voltage out before reaching he LEDs.
    Another option is Herg's LED OCD and GI OCD boards. They are still AC but much much higher frequency. The B/W GI boards are programmable on how much of a duty cycle to use on the LEDs as well as how quickly to ramp up/down the brightness when the game applies or removes the signal. This way incandescent can be emulated. Herg's Stern GI board is simple dumb and cheap - just basically a regulated and smoothed DC supply. All of these are really only options if you want to led the entire game; and work best with non specialized LEDs. Don't need anti flicker or anti ghosting LEDs; simply get the cheapest LEDs that give you the color and brightness you desire.
    Coming back to your string of lights:

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated. I see now what the concern is. In Australia we have 50 Hz and I can't really see any flicker (but my eye sight is not the one of a young man either). At 50 Hz seeing flicker would probably be very borderline.
    I could get the 6 V led strips in AC with bridge rectifiers but the cost would go up. Not sure if it would be a very favourable cost/benefit ratio considering that they look pretty good as they are.

2 weeks later
    #24 8 years ago

Also will do them in 50 cm (20") length now at $5 ea.

#25 8 years ago

I remember at trade school many many years ago the subject was bought up regarding the 50 hz.
    The teacher told us that your eyes can see a flicker up to 48hz and that's why it was settled at 50hz.
    Don't know if there's any truth to it.

2 months later
    #26 8 years ago

New stock arrived. They are available again.

#27 8 years ago

Do these require a diode/resistor? Or do you just solder two wires to the strip and then hook to gi?

Can you do rgb or just single color?

Nice to have a 6v option.

#28 8 years ago

Cool

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Do these require a diode/resistor? Or do you just solder two wires to the strip and then hook to gi?
    Can you do rgb or just single color?
    Nice to have a 6v option.

Just cut to size and solder wires on and hook up to GI.
    Just single colour.

4 months later
    #30 8 years ago

Third shipment arrived for those who missed out.

1 month later
    #31 8 years ago

Is there anybody interested in 6V DC strips. They work perfectly on the non GI locations. Which means all playfield and backbox applications.

2 months later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/6-v-led-strips-yes-finally-6-v-led-strips-not-12-v and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.