Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

transmax (resized).PNG
    20220822_102702 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 5.57.50 PM (resized).png
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Conventional and Synthetic Blend even a bit cheaper. This is Dexos 2 and supposed to be good oil. Free shipping if you pick up at your local Grainger. Link is to 0W-20 full synthetic. Works out to ~$2 per quart after tax for me.

https://www.grainger.com/product/DURAMAX-Engine-Oil-6-gal-Size-56HT78

#2 1 year ago

Damn that is tempting. My problem is 5 diff cars with 4 different viscosity recommendations. Not sure I'm mentally prepared to store 24 gallons of motor oil.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Damn that is tempting. My problem is 5 diff cars with 4 different viscosity recommendations. Not sure I'm mentally prepared to store 24 gallons of motor oil.

Yeah, if you've got the space it's just stupid cheap. I'm lucky that both my cars are 0W-20, but I've also ran 5W-20 and 5W-30 in them. I'll go through 6 gallons in less than 2 years. Hopefully I'll be moving to an EV at that point.

#4 1 year ago

Wish they had diesel 15w40

#5 1 year ago

Great deal but....WTF?
    California policymakers would rather people buy and landfill 24 little plastic quart bottles?

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 5.57.50 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-21 at 5.57.50 PM (resized).png
    #6 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Great deal but....WTF?
    California policymakers would rather people buy and landfill 24 little plastic quart bottles?
    [quoted image]

Maybe Bob_E is right and your local gov is making it harder to own an ICE vehicle. I hear you can make bank uprooting your lawn though.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Great deal but....WTF?
    [quoted image]

Yup. Thats Newsome for ya.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Great deal but....WTF?
    [quoted image]

What Grap is that lol

#9 1 year ago

Whelp - apparently they longer have any 5W-30 at this price but I did put an order in for bulk 0W-20 and 5W20.

Not gonna lie, I will be shocked when/if I get the confirmation for pickup. Even in 6 gallon bulk it doesn't make much sense they can sell this at less than 25% what Walmart charges.

#10 1 year ago

I wonder if they are dumping it because of origin (Russia?). It’s a crazy cheap price when honestly my local Wal-mart is OOS on a lot of oil brands.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Not gonna lie, I will be shocked when/if I get the confirmation for pickup. Even in 6 gallon bulk it doesn't make much sense they can sell this at less than 25% what Walmart charges.

My understanding is this pricing has been valid for a week or so and plenty of folks have already confirmed receiving the oil they purchased.

#12 1 year ago

Wow this is awesome, and they have viscosities I need for both of my vehicles....ugh its so temping

#13 1 year ago

It may be related to barges just now coming in to the ports of Los Angeles and other areas. Barges that have been stuck at sea for about 2 years during lockdowns and forced vaccinations for supply chain workers, creating a labor shortage on top of that. All those orders are coming in all at once, and vaccine restrictions have eased up so the stores need to dump the inventory fast. This is affecting the whole country.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-01-20/covid-surge-hits-la-ports-increasing-need-for-vaccines

https://youtube.com/results?search_query=Overstock+retail

#14 1 year ago

Broke down and also got 10w-30 in a synthetic blend. Guessing my 97 Tercel with 235k is just gonna be happy with fresh oil.

I get plastic 5 gallon pickle containers from my local farmers market for $1. Since the have a solid snap tight lid they are perfect for storing used oil until I get a chance to take it to recycle

#15 1 year ago

I just ordered 4 0W-20 and 4 5W-20, free shipping.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Wow this is awesome, and they have viscosities I need for both of my vehicles....ugh its so temping

Great deal, I'll have enough oil for the next 3 to 4 years.

#17 1 year ago

How did you get free shipping

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Starscream:

How did you get free shipping

Maybe because we have business account? No idea but it said free ship so nailed it.

20220822_102702 (resized).jpg20220822_102702 (resized).jpg
    #19 1 year ago

Free shipping is awesome - these friggin boxes weigh 45 pounds each so they wanted about $30 each to ship. I had to do store pickup to get 'free' shipping but fortunately Grainger is only about 10 miles away.

#20 1 year ago

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered 2 boxes which should last a while at 5qts per oil change. Drive past a Grainger everyday on the way to work making this a no brainer.

#21 1 year ago

Just got my pickup confirmation and only ordered yesterday. That was quick!

#22 1 year ago

Well shi*! Free shipping (through GoVets.com) if you are a vet. Here's a link to the 0W-20.

https://www.govets.com/duramax-226-cxo-56ht78.html

#23 1 year ago

Mine uses 6 liters of 10w60 synthetic. That stuff is never cheap/on sale.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Great deal, I'll have enough oil for the next 3 to 4 years.

Might have miscalculated, but for the price can't be beat. Not like it's going to go bad sitting in my garage storage.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Might have miscalculated, but for the price can't be beat. Not like it's going to go bad sitting in my garage storage.

That's true, it's already as old as dinosaurs.

#26 1 year ago

Thanks for the link. I ordered some and local pickup is only 10 minutes away for me

#27 1 year ago

Thanks for the link, I put in an order for ow-20 for pick up at my local store. Seems like a pretty great deal.

1 week later
    #28 1 year ago

Has anyone actually gone to Grainger and picked up their oil? My 'expected pick up date' has come and gone and the only thing I have received from Grainger after the initial confirmation was about a half dozen marketing emails.

#29 1 year ago

Hmm, I was at a gas station yesterday and they had a little stand with 50% off clearance items. Among the stuff on that stand was several quart sized bottles of oil. I didn't check it out to see what the price and type was, but I imagine it was a good deal.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Has anyone actually gone to Grainger and picked up their oil? My 'expected pick up date' has come and gone and the only thing I have received from Grainger after the initial confirmation was about a half dozen marketing emails.

I just picked mine up. I got an order confirmation email immediately and another when it was ready for pickup the next day. The clerk actually brought out 2 boxes. He wasn't sure why he had the other. He tried to sell it to me, but that's too many years worth of oil for me. Maybe check your spam filter?

Both boxes were labeled Dexos 1. I suspect that's why this was so cheap. The website shows the product is now Dexos 2.

#31 1 year ago

I logged into my account at Grainger and it still shows 'Not Ready For Pickup' luckily I am not in a hurry.

Dexos 2 is for diesel engines, so hopefully you got Dexos 1

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

I logged into my account at Grainger and it still shows 'Not Ready For Pickup' luckily I am not in a hurry.
    Dexos 2 is for diesel engines, so hopefully you got Dexos 1

Yeah it's definitely Dexos 1. That's good to know. Well I have no idea why it is so cheap, but I'm not complaining!

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Same here. Looks like I may have to actually put some effort into this sale…

#34 1 year ago

My order still marked "not shipped yet" due today.

#35 1 year ago

I'm going to call on Tuesday and see what's up with my order

1 week later
    #36 1 year ago

I called today. My order is scheduled to ship to my local Grainger in Hartford, CT on 9/22.

1 week later
    #37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I called today. My order is scheduled to ship to my local Grainger in Hartford, CT on 9/22.

I am still holding out hope; no updates from Grainger and I double checked they have not charged my card yet. If you try to order this today they give you an expected delivery date of Jan 2023 so they likely have already "sold" more than they had and remains to be seen if they can come anywhere close to honoring the original pick up date.

Govets was offering something similar (ordered sept 1, given a sept 13 ship date but order still shows "processing") however they did charge my card on the 13th so had to put a reminder on my calendar to dispute the charge if I don't see some oil by October 13th

#38 1 year ago

Just an update on my end....I ordered about a month ago. Grainger kept telling me there was a delay in my order and it would ship from their distributor on the 15th. I called yesterday after the second delay....and they told me the distributor wasn't going to honor the order and there was a discrepancy on price nation wide.
    I had to call them to find that out. No emails...no updates...nothing.. I told them I knew some people got their orders filled...but they offered me no explanation and no solution.
    I asked for a manager to contact me...and of course that never happened. I'll never order from them again. Terrible experience.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Soundkillr:

Just an update on my end....I ordered about a month ago. Grainger kept telling me there was a delay in my order and it would ship from their distributor on the 15th. I called yesterday after the second delay....and they told me the distributor wasn't going to honor the order and there was a discrepancy on price nation wide.
    I had to call them to find that out. No emails...no updates...nothing.. I told them I knew some people got their orders filled...but they offered me no explanation and no solution.
    I asked for a manager to contact me...and of course that never happened. I'll never order from them again. Terrible experience.

Same here, my order never showed up at the store. I called Grainger and they said it was back ordered and unlikely to ship.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Soundkillr:

they told me the distributor wasn't going to honor the order and there was a discrepancy on price nation wide.

I knew something was up when it was listed that cheap. Either a mistake or a dirty way to sell excess stock?

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I knew something was up when it was listed that cheap. Either a mistake or a dirty way to sell excess stock?

Honestly I suspect the latter. I was really disappointed with the way they handled this transaction...or lack there of. I'll mark them off my shopping list.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I think a bunch of old stock came in that had been sitting in a container ship and they clearenced it out.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I think a bunch of old stock came in that had been sitting in a container ship and they clearenced it out.

I think you're right. Some foreign oil was sitting on a container ship for many months and it all came in at the wrong time, so Grainger had to get rid of it as fast as possible before inventory costs ate them alive.

Obviously, they oversold that inventory. They may have been cleaned out so fast that they didn't have the logistics to update their website and halt orders in a timely manner. Or, they were just lazy.

Edit: Wait, they still have this listed as in stock? That really smells. Who do they think they are, a Chinese real estate builder?

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I think you're right. Some foreign oil was sitting on a container ship for many months and it all came in at the wrong time, so Grainger had to get rid of it as fast as possible before inventory costs ate them alive.
    Obviously, they oversold that inventory. They may have been cleaned out so fast that they didn't have the logistics to update their website and halt orders in a timely manner. Or, they were just lazy.
    Edit: Wait, they still have this listed as in stock? That really smells. Who do they think they are, a Chinese real estate builder?

I called and they state I'm still on track for the delivery on the 29th.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

These are a direct ship from Reladyne in Chicago, at least my box was. Date code was 8/22. I think it was a mistake that didn't get caught for awhile. This was going on for at least a week with many folks reporting success. Grainger is a legit company. They used to be business customers only, but my pickup location was a new retail location next to a Wal-mart.

#46 1 year ago

Whelp - I got two cancellation emails from Grainger last night saying they were unable to provide the item I ordered on Sept 1rst.

Agree with Soundkillr gonna unsubscribe to their emails, mark them as spam and forget this company even exists

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Agree with Soundkillr gonna unsubscribe to their emails, mark them as spam and forget this company even exists

No real loss there. Grainger has always been far and away the most expensive option…

#48 1 year ago

My order of 8 containers placed on 8/22/22 still confirmed as being valid and due for delivery 9/28/22

#49 1 year ago

Mine got cancelled yesterday.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Mine got cancelled yesterday.

I called and requested mine be cancelled. No e-mail but when I checked my account it showed the shipping date pushed back to January 30 of 2023.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/6-gallons-of-synthetic-motor-oil-45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.