(Topic ID: 305539)

5x8 or 6x12 Uhaul enclosed trailer

By VolunteerPin

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

I am picking up 2 pins this weekend. Walk out pick up with legs on and my house is a walk in with legs on. I read somewhere that maybe a pin needs to be folded in the 5x8 but can stand up in the 6x12. Either way I will wrap a little with plastic and moving blankets. Certainly don't mind folding the pin if that is the better way to go but for the sake of ease leaving the legs on would be easier. I just have never done more than 1 pin at a time and so have never needed a trailer. I have read I can easily get away with renting the 5x8 for 2 pins (I am assuming with them folded)

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Darin

#2 2 years ago

6x12 has two axles vs. one. Also height is important. Well worth the larger trailer, especially for long distances.

#3 2 years ago

Here are the break downs

uhual 5x8
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

uhual 6x12
    pasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png

IIRC I used a 5x8 to bring 2 games to MGC (7 hour drive) with my ford escape.

#4 2 years ago

As long as I'm not going up and down stairs, I can easily move pins by myself with the pin standing and strapped to an appliance dolly. I can load and unload them in a U-haul trailer as well, pivoting the machine from standing to sitting flat on the floor. I honestly don't see a benefit to doing anything but sliding them into final place with legs on. Use moving blankets on the floor of the trailer, and the pins can be easily slid to the front, and secured to the trailer wall. The cost difference between the single and double axle trailer is minimal, but the improved ride and extra room are well worth the difference.

#5 2 years ago

You could get at least one pin in the 5x8 on legs, but the backbox will have to go down. I'm not sure if you could fit two on legs. I suspect you should be able to.

Folded and up on end, I think you could get 6 in there. I stuffed a 5x8 a few years back for a show with at least 5 cabs and two backboxes.

One thing to keep in mind--there is a large weight difference between the 5x8 and 6x12. Make sure your vehicle can handle towing the weight of both the trailer and the games.

#6 2 years ago

5x8 is plenty for 2 pins.

the heads must come down regardless.

Make sure you secure them to the D-rings in the floor, the wooden side rails are for protection, not securing. They are essentially stapled to the frame and come loose easily. put as much weight as you can in front of & on the axel.

I like them folded and on the floor. keeps the center of gravity lower and easier to drive. You can also slide them around on a blanket or cardboard. Not sure how you will maneuver them on feet, you'll have to lift them or figure out sliders.

Next best is folded and standing, like force said you can stuff these things pretty good that way. The tailgate is low enough that you can just lean the bottom of the machine off the hand truck and set the machine directly in the trailer floor without having to lift it again.

GL.

#7 2 years ago

I've used the 5x8 to move multiple folded pins in the same trip. I suggest folding them for transport, one on each side, using straps and the rings on the floor.

#8 2 years ago

As other have stated, you should fold the games for transport. In the 5x8 uhaul, I've fit 6 machines, if the heads come off. If not, 5 is going to be tight.

If you leave the legs on, you'll have to fold the head. You'll also have to rotate the games 180 from each other and stagger, as the 5x8 is not wide enough for two heads across from each other.

Edit: Also, the last two 5x8 uhaul trailers I've rented did not have d-rings in the floor. There was no where to tie stuff down (the side rub rails are not an option). Just another reason to fold the game. And if you only have two, sit them on their belly's.

#9 2 years ago

I say get the larger trailer. Extra room for legs, tools, dolly/dollies, extra pin you may happen to "find", etc.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from djblouw:

As other have stated, you should fold the games for transport. In the 5x8 uhaul, I've fit 6 machines, if the heads come off. If not, 5 is going to be tight.
    If you leave the legs on, you'll have to fold the head. You'll also have to rotate the games 180 from each other and stagger, as the 5x8 is not wide enough for two heads across from each other.
    Edit: Also, the last two 5x8 uhaul trailers I've rented did not have d-rings in the floor. There was no where to tie stuff down (the side rub rails are not an option). Just another reason to fold the game. And if you only have two, sit them on their belly's.

Agreed. Last few 5x8s I got only had 4 D-rings. 2 in the front, 2 in the back. It was a nightmare trying to strap 3 pins down and prevent them from sliding around and smashing into each other. Laying them down flat was the best, safest solution. That trailer bounces around like mad!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/5x8-or-6x12-uhaul-enclosed-trailer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.