(Topic ID: 203270)

$59 Color Matching Device

By mcbPalisade

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Color Muse Picture (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

I received an email that mentioned this $12 chip. Did a bit more research to find this end-user product.

Cheap way to perfectly match playfield colors! And your wife's wardrobe ( - :

https://colormuse.io/

mcb

Color Muse Picture (resized).JPGColor Muse Picture (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

there was a kickstarter or similar product a few years ago that apparently works well.. anyone know if these work. And the real question, is are there apps that let you scan a color your trying to match, and a color you have, that tell you what to add!? That would be SWEET and worth 100.00 easily.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

there was a kickstarter or similar product a few years ago that apparently works well.. anyone know if these work. And the real question, is are there apps that let you scan a color your trying to match, and a color you have, that tell you what to add!? That would be SWEET and worth 100.00 easily.

Kickstarter, that's the ticket!

#4 6 years ago

YEah- that and new pinball companys are all the rage- sure things.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

let you scan a color your trying to match, and a color you have,

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to do that with this machine. It says that it is compatible with 5 different colour codes. For instance if you scanned the colour you have (in paint) and get the RGB number for it, then scan the colour you want it to be (playfield colour) and get the RGB number for that Colour. Do the math and find the difference between the two colours to find what you’d need to add to get to the desired colour. I don’t know if it would be that easy with the colours hex code, but I’m sure with a little creativity it could be done.

#6 6 years ago

Has anyone used any type of color matching tool like this for pins?

#7 6 years ago

Their videos show it giving Pantone color swatches and giving that exact Pantone number. So presumably you can scan your playfield and ask for a Pantone equivalent and get that produced by the people that do that sort of thing.

The internet shows lots of paint matching ideas - some including raw artist talent. This is just one more within the reach of most people. Might help you paint a house or other things as well.

#8 6 years ago

or you can scan into photoshop and the color picker will do the same thing

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

or you can scan into photoshop and the color picker will do the same thing

Using what to do the scanning? Your smart phone?

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Using what to do the scanning? Your smart phone?

I use my scanner to scan. I guess you can use your phone, if it's accurate.

HP4670

#11 6 years ago

Careful scanning and photographs - you need to make sure your white balance is set properly!

#12 6 years ago

I bought one of these about 6 months ago. The problem with it is that it can't give you the information to go have paint custom mixed it only gives you 4 or 5 close matches from different paint companies. The yellow it suggested for the mario cabinet was close but none of the street fighter playfield colors were. It was useful for getting rgb values to use for making score cards with colors that closely matched the game. For wall paint it was able to match all of the cans of paint I had lying around but none of those are custom colors. It's now collecting dust and I still had to mix my own paint.

#13 6 years ago

Good to know about the Color Muse

Turn your scanner over and put it on the playfield, wouldn't have thought of that ( - :

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/59-color-matching-device and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.