Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by KenLayton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

some help is needed and appreciated with the issue I have on this machine, Im running out of fuses fast......this machine is ROASTING the 10a coil fuse when certain, I dont have enough fuses left to pinpoint exactly which item triggers it, but i do know this the 100,000 roll over on the right lane will deff pop it. wheres the best place to begin with this ?? none of the coils look cooked or appear to have been hot except for the bell which has been cut loose a long time ago.....only mods done to it is credit up and down have also been cut while leaving 1 credit on the machine for free play..... this is how I got it..... all I have done was clean and burnish every contact in the machine, control unit, head and PF as well as change 2 bad switch blades on the reset relay.... it had this prob before and after i serviced all the switches....any help or idea where to poke is GREATLY appreciated

Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Get one of these circuit breaker fuse replacements for diagnostic use
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Electrical_short_troubleshooting_Fuse_helper

#3 5 years ago

Tough to figure it out without seeing it in person. You have a coil that is most likely stuck or a switch that is closed that is requiring a coil to stall pulled/activated. I would check all the stepper units to ensure they are working properly first.....a seized up stepper unit will cause the coil to stick and blow a fuse. Make sure to inspect chime unit coils as it’s pretty common for them to seize up as well.

#4 5 years ago

i did find a roasted coil on the stepper in the head, lower right corner its cooked beyond recognition .....if anyone can provide the value of it that would be great

thanks

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from mike11:

i did find a roasted coil on the stepper in the head, lower right corner its cooked beyond recognition .....if anyone can provide the value of it that would be great
thanks

The part number of the coil may be stamped into the fiber biscuit where the solder lugs are attached.

#6 5 years ago

Went through this recently on a 60 Williams. Try to isolate where the short is -- start by disconnecting jones plugs to backbox and playfield and coin door and bell/knocker and start with just the board in the cabinet (where many coils and relays reside). If that does not blow a fuse start adding back one at a time to see where problem pops up. Alot of this is visual inspection looking for things like solder bombs and loose wires touching metal or other switches.
Yes - you need the breaker to do this as every time you blow a fuse its costly. Use a 5 amp breaker for a 10 amp fuse - you always want something lower. Clay's guide has good info on this as do the other links already noted.
If you have a DMM check that "burnt" coil for resistance - if less than 2 its crap.
Shorts are frustrating and it takes patience and diligence to find them but you will. Start by looking in detail at the jones plugs too as thats where solder or wires can touch each other commonly

#7 5 years ago

If a 100,000 point rollover pops the fuse, I'd go directly to the 100,000 unit to look for a bad coil. In those days, the coil number was stamped into the fiber coil bobbin next to the coil terminals.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/57-gottlieb-royal-flush-blowing-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.