4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by rcbrown316
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

spotlight19.jpg
    spotlight18.jpg
    spotlight17.jpg
    555LED11.jpg
    555LED12.jpg
    555LED10.jpg
    555LED01.jpg
    555LED08.jpg
    555LED04.jpg
    555LED06.jpg
    555LED03.jpg
    555LED05.jpg
    555LED02.jpg
    555LED07.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I know there are other topics on this, but I wanted to document what I have done to fix this problem.

After doing a few LED upgrades to my machines, I realized that 555 wedge LED bulbs
    have not been designed to the exact specification of the classic glass filament bulbs.
    Specifically, they are missing a little grove that allows the metal contacts in the socket
    to fit it and hold the bulb in place.
    555LED01.jpg

This results in LED bulbs that pop out at random times and fly across the playfield.
    And this forces me to shut off the machine in mid-game and retrieve the bulb.
    I hate to take a chance that the bulb will cause a short or get lodged in a something mechanical.

I found a reference to "Poster Tack" in an old post and I used this with great success on my AC/DC premium.
    555LED02.jpg

I upgrade the flashers behind the lightning bolts and immediately saw the bulbs pop out during the first game.
    After wrapping the bulb and socket with poster tack, the problem was solved.
    However the solution was not visually appealing.
    555LED03.jpg

I did the same for the blackbird light on x-men and it seems to be holding fine so far.
    I used less poster tack and it doesn't look too bad.
    555LED04.jpg

The fix for spotlights is even better because that are pointed away from the player and you can't see the tack at all.
    It seems spotlights are notorious for spitting out LED bulbs, but this fix solves that issue.
    555LED05.jpg
    555LED06.jpg

However, I recently tried the poster tack on my x-men GI lighting and I've had lots of issues.
    There are a few bulbs that are right behind some rubber that gets lots of action and even
    the poster tack will not hold them in well enough.

This bulb seems to stay put.
    555LED07.jpg

But this bulb constantly eases its way out of the socket.
    555LED08.jpg

#2 4 years ago

Then I had a Eureka! moment when I was looking at how Stern prepares the spotlight shields.
    They use a small piece of electrical shrink wrap to keep the shields attached.
    I realized this could also be used to hold bulbs as well.
    I tried this for the first time yesterday and expect this to be a "permanent" solution.
    555LED10.jpg
    555LED11.jpg
    555LED12.jpg

#3 4 years ago

Small tube of clear silicone sealant.

#4 4 years ago

Yup, lots of people (myself included) use shrink tubing to hold them in place. Works great, is relatively cheap, and gives it a nice clean look.

#5 4 years ago

The shrink wrap looks sooo much better than the poster tack.
    I'm really happy with this solution if it works for the long run.

#6 4 years ago

I had heard about those other solutions - silicone, super glue, ...
    But I wanted something that could be removed without leaving a trace, or "gum up" the sockets, or result in securing the bulb for eternity.

#7 4 years ago

nice work on this! It is such a pain to constantly have to put the lights back or the lights go on and off and have to be readjusted. I have had some 555 sockets on wpc games where you really have to apply pressure to get the led in the socket and then it is hard to remove because they are so tight.

#8 4 years ago

Towards the bottom

This worked great on my CV where the 555 bulbs kept coming out the pop bumpers

http://pinballbulbs.com/installs/spotlight.html

#9 4 years ago

A tiny strip of electrical tape around the base (that is inside the socket around the base of the bulb, with the connections on the outside) a few times holds them nicely in place, I had issues before especially on my STLE but now the keeps all my spotlights in, and it looks much better than any glue.

#10 4 years ago

Great idea, what size shrink wrap did you use? I use a bit of hot glue, which seems to work too.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Great idea, what size shrink wrap did you use? I use a bit of hot glue, which seems to work too.

It was 1/2 inch shrink tubing

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from WApb:

A tiny strip of electrical tape around the base (that is inside the socket around the base of the bulb, with the connections on the outside) a few times holds them nicely in place, I had issues before especially on my STLE but now the keeps all my spotlights in, and it looks much better than any glue.

I have used this exact same method. It doesn't take much to tighten up the socket.

#13 4 years ago

The bulbs in the spotlight kits were falling out a lot so long ago we started shipping with this thin carpet tape.

Pull up wires, put on tape, peel off non stickly back, push wires back down. Super quick to do , doesn't come out and not seen.

spotlight17.jpg

spotlight18.jpg

spotlight19.jpg

#14 4 years ago

I have had bulbs pop out like this but not the ones I got from Cointaker. They seem to have a better shaped base than some of the others I have used.

#15 4 years ago

Like others do with electrical tape, I wrap the base of problem bulbs with a couple wraps of pipe thread tape. No more loose bulbs.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have had bulbs pop out like this but not the ones I got from Cointaker. They seem to have a better shaped base than some of the others I have used.

I think it all depends on batches. They all come from basically the same place, regardless of what people want to think. My Metallica, for example, had bulbs popping out in the GI like crazy (had CT bulbs in them).

We get specific supers made for spotlights and sometimes they fit tighter than others, just depends on the batch. Sometimes they don't come as glossy and that extra friction helps keep them in as well actually, which can be nice.

#17 4 years ago

I've done the tape trick once or twice with thin masking tape from the art store. Sticky (slightly) on just one side; but adds the friction needed. I only bother with troublesome locations - not worth the manpower to do every socket.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from JDD:

I know there are other topics on this, but I wanted to document what I have done to fix this problem.
    After doing a few LED upgrades to my machines, I realized that 555 wedge LED bulbs
    have not been designed to the exact specification of the classic glass filament bulbs.
    Specifically, they are missing a little grove that allows the metal contacts in the socket
    to fit it and hold the bulb in place.
    555LED01.jpg
    This results in LED bulbs that pop out at random times and fly across the playfield.
    And this forces me to shut off the machine in mid-game and retrieve the bulb.
    I hate to take a chance that the bulb will cause a short or get lodged in a something mechanical.
    I found a reference to "Poster Tack" in an old post and I used this with great success on my AC/DC premium.
    555LED02.jpg
    I upgrade the flashers behind the lightning bolts and immediately saw the bulbs pop out during the first game.
    After wrapping the bulb and socket with poster tack, the problem was solved.
    However the solution was not visually appealing.
    555LED03.jpg
    I did the same for the blackbird light on x-men and it seems to be holding fine so far.
    I used less poster tack and it doesn't look too bad.
    555LED04.jpg
    The fix for spotlights is even better because that are pointed away from the player and you can't see the tack at all.
    It seems spotlights are notorious for spitting out LED bulbs, but this fix solves that issue.
    555LED05.jpg
    555LED06.jpg
    However, I recently tried the poster tack on my x-men GI lighting and I've had lots of issues.
    There are a few bulbs that are right behind some rubber that gets lots of action and even
    the poster tack will not hold them in well enough.
    This bulb seems to stay put.
    555LED07.jpg
    But this bulb constantly eases its way out of the socket.
    555LED08.jpg

I think Juicy fruit is a little cheaper

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Boards
    PCB Emporium
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 30.00
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 39.50
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 18.95
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside