6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mandelbloom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

555socket.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I just did my machine in all LED,I have one finicky 555 that won't stay lit all the time. If I push the socket up into the board it works and then when I start playing it gets flaky again. I swapped with another light and socket and that didn't help. I think it just not quite making good contact with the board at that one spot any easy fix?

#2 6 years ago

i just usually bend the contacts foward a little bit on the socket...you could even clean them to make sure you're getting a good connection.

Also if it's a cointaker I ALWAYS have problems with their bulbs. I have to move the metal parts around a bit, try it, bend them differently etc. It can take a long ass time. Try switching that bulb with another that already works well and it might liek the new arrangement.

#3 6 years ago

Maybe if I bend the gold connectors on either side it will make better contact with the board? The socket itself is fine, its how it touches the PCB.

555socket.jpg

#4 6 years ago

The Law...
    Yea I swap bulbs so its with this certain spot on the PC board.

#5 6 years ago

Just bend the contacts up. I have had sockets that just don't seem to work before though...got any extras?

#6 6 years ago

Nope no extras...but I swaped sockets too and it was still the one in that spot so it seems more related to the board..maybe a combo of the two. I will bend them up next time I get inside.

#7 6 years ago

Yeah I would do a bend and if that doesnt work clean the connections and the part of the PCB it touches. of course the question is does it work just fine with a normal 555, non LED. That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

#8 6 years ago

Yea thats something I will try(bulb). Thanks

#9 6 years ago

as a last resort, remove the light board and inspect the solder at that light. often a dimple has formed and bending the contacts is a temp fix. reflow the solder and add a little if needed.

#10 6 years ago

Got the same problem before,MrWizzo's idea helps on me,too...

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Angyalpor:

Got the same problem before,MrWizzo's idea helps on me,too...

Angyalpor:

Eonabok ivanok!

Forgive me for the terrible Hungarian. I hope I just didn't insult a loved one or something.

Dan

#12 6 years ago

Wizzo..yea I thought of that..not sure how comfy I am with that yet Looks like it was having issues before I even messed with the LEDs. I just looked at my video and I see the 4 failing with the old lamps. At least it wasn't my fault hehe.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from mandelbloom:

Wizzo..yea I thought of that..not sure how comfy I am with that yet Looks like it was having issues before I even messed with the LEDs. I just looked at my video and I see the 4 failing with the old lamps. At least it wasn't my fault hehe.
    » YouTube video

Well, you gotta jump in the water eventually, and the water is not too deep at this end of the pool. Do you have a soldering iron and a multi-meter?

You can do it, Charlie Brown!!

#14 6 years ago

I have a soldering iron..need to get a multimeter...but I think its a loose wire.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from mandelbloom:

I have a soldering iron..need to get a multimeter...but I think its a loose wire.

Loose wire on a PCB?

#16 6 years ago

One of the wires going to the board I think...but not sure all I know is if I reach in the coin door and push the wires a little it lights..untill I start playing then it goes off again Could be that moving the wires nudges the PCB..I will have to get under the hood and look. I am taking a short break from messing with it as the Gofers had given me a lot of trouble so I was un and out a ton hehe.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from mandelbloom:

Could be that moving the wires nudges the PCB.

Again, take out the light board. couple screws, no problem. Follow the traces from the misbehaving light and determine which pin feeds that circuit. Examine the solder holding the pin in the board to see if looks old and maybe cracked. Regardless, while you have it out, heat up your iron when hot enough to melt solder, gently touch that joint to reflow the solder. it will go from a matte finish to shiny and then will dry somewhere in the middle. Inspect the solder at the light for divots and reflow those as well.

If there is another board with the same amount of lights, Pull that one off and switch boards. If the problem is there in the board in question at the new location, it is the board. If the problem is at the old location where the new board is, it is not the board.

"You can do it!" (waterboy)

Running out of motivation quotes. C'mon, get your head in there and fix it. Just take your time.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Running out of motivation quotes. C'mon, get your head in there and fix it. Just take your time.

Yep gotta get in there and do it!

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

MrWizzo said:
    Yep gotta get in there and do it!

First time a Penn Stater and a Michigan fan have agreed on anything. This is an historical moment! Now, you gotta fix the light to honor this.

Pinside: bridging hostile collegiate rivalries.

#20 6 years ago

I had this type of problem on a couple of different light boards on my Last Action Hero. The first suggestion I got was to reflow the connection pins. I was a little afraid to do that. I'm not real comfortable with soldering anything that can't be glopped on. Wires and switches are fine but working on a board connection made me nervous.

The second suggestion from folks was to check the diode on the light board for that socket. Sure enough on each socket that was bad there was a flakey diode. I had a few replacments and decided to replace them myself since it didn't look like replacing them was very precise work. After getting them replaced and the board checked out with my multimeter I plugged it in and the sockets were good to go.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Angyalpor said:Got the same problem before,MrWizzo's idea helps on me,too...
    Angyalpor:
    Eonabok ivanok!
    Forgive me for the terrible Hungarian. I hope I just didn't insult a loved one or something.
    Dan

Almost perfect.
    Jónapot kívánok.

2 weeks later
    #22 6 years ago

So I finally decided to pull the board...it looked fine identical to the others pins/sockets. I went ahead and reflowed the solder anyhow but the light is still finicky. I am prettys sure its the molex connector if I tweak it just a little it works. I do have the light working good for now though by using a zip tie to put a little pressure is a spot on the molex. One day I will need to do it the right way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 189.99
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 59.99
    $ 218.00
    € 50.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    £ 49.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 89.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside