By pookycade

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

51C8D9CE-CB2A-4005-8A3B-D7C1759DF097 (resized).jpeg
    6D50030C-D8F4-4F07-8082-238AD7E811AB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

After calming down from the total dumpster fire of a previous thread, I offer this if anyone still cares. Wanted to document for posterity, so here is sizing information for 555 LEDs as compared to standard incandescent measurements.

If you have ever found it difficult to insert an LED into a socket this is why. It is not manufacturer specific, and it does vary according to type of LED used.

Actual thickness measurements are as follows (with photos showing what is being measured):

Incandescent Center notch 3.23mm, Edge 1.70mm
    Comet 1 SMD. Center 3.01 Edge 2.53
    Titan 1SMD Center 3.75 Edge 2.46
    Comet non-SMD flat top Center 3.04 Edge 2.39

Getting LED bulbs to fit in WPC games is relatively straightforward even for the largest of LEDs. But in old early Bally SS games with the crappy sockets it’s tough. It can be done by using a small screwdriver (with game off) to widen the edge socket connectors, but there is risk of creating shorts, and one can still have to work at it even after widening.

The bottom line though is that all these LED bulbs do not adhere to the actual 555 incandescent size. There may be many many reasons for this.

I chose Comet bulbs because that’s what I have hundreds of. Their bulbs will work in ALL games just beware depending on which exact bulb you choose may have varied difficulty in getting in the bulb to fit. I think this is really only a problem in early Bally SS games and even there you can use pretty much any of these bulbs.

The easiest to fit though will clearly be the flash top non-SMD (cheapo LEDs) for early Bally games. I have decided for expediency to use the cheapo Comet ones in my early Bally SS for everything except for the playfield GI where I have spent more time getting the Comet 1 SMDs to work because I like the look and higher brightness.

Good luck

6D50030C-D8F4-4F07-8082-238AD7E811AB (resized).jpeg6D50030C-D8F4-4F07-8082-238AD7E811AB (resized).jpeg

51C8D9CE-CB2A-4005-8A3B-D7C1759DF097 (resized).jpeg51C8D9CE-CB2A-4005-8A3B-D7C1759DF097 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/555-bulb-led-vs-incandescent-sizing-info?tu=pookycade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.