(Topic ID: 22102)

$550 for a non-working Black Hole even worth looking into?

By blondetall

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

blackhole3.jpg
blackhole2.jpg
blackhole1.jpg
#1 11 years ago

This is about 30 minutes away from me. Just rare to see one close by, so thought about it but it seems these have lots of electrical issues. I'm new and know how to change bulbs, not replace/redo electrical, so this is probably way over my head. I didn't know if it was any sort of deal or not, so thought I'd ask the experts.

chattanooga.craigslist.org link

#2 11 years ago

If it's non-working and hasn't had the required electrical work done to it and you don't know how to solder and read schematics, this is not a game for you. You could also wind up sinking a lot of money into the machine if the boards are beyond repair. If you're looking for a non-working project machine to restore, a Williams Sys 3-6 is a bit simpler to get going by comparison.

viperrwk

#3 11 years ago

Until you get those gottliebs dialed in there are a lot of "required" type mods that involve quite a bit of work. If it doesn't work now who knows how much you'd be doing (and spending) getting it back up again. Not for the feint of heart.

#4 11 years ago

And I should add that if I were close and the playfield was in good shape and the machine complete I'd pick this up for that price as a compliment to my HH.

viperrwk

#5 11 years ago

If its not turning on, and your not good with repairs, u could replace the CPU and power supply for less than $300. Probably not a bad idea anyway since modern boards are more reliable and efficient. So it comes down to how bad u want it, and what condition it's in. Those things sell for $1k and up all day long, highly collectible

#6 11 years ago

Great game, and really not a bad price. You say you're not sure how to work with electrical, but this isn't necessarily a bad way to learn. There are guides out there (at least general, not sure about the specific Gottlieb guides). Keep in mind, you'll need to get a Digital Multi Meter and a temp controlled soldering iron. It's up to you if you want to add that to the cost of the machines, or chalk it up as a long term investment (I'd say the latter if you plan to continue doing your own work).

These things are supposed to be pretty solid once all of the mods are completed. The price isn't bad, but it really depends on the cosmetic condition. Take a look at the board around the battery holder, it it looks like it has a lot of bubbling around that area, then it could be a lot of work.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

If its not turning on, and your not good with repairs, u could replace the CPU and power supply for less than $300. Probably not a bad idea anyway since modern boards are more reliable and efficient. So it comes down to how bad u want it, and what condition it's in. Those things sell for $1k and up all day long, highly collectible

Plus rework the pop bumper driver boards, install a watchdog timer, check and replace any burned out coils, rework IDC connectors, check and replace the driver board too if that was damaged by battery corrosion then replace CPU/Driver board interconnect cable, replace the 5/12v filter cap...

viperrwk

#8 11 years ago

I just wondered because there is LITERALLY no pinball around me... on route, for sale, or otherwise. I had to ship in mine and my mom's, so just wondered if it was even worth it since even seeing one around here is rare. My dad is a mechanic, my husband is an electronics genius, and I like to do research and tinker with them... so between us and the forums (and possibly lots of $) I'm sure it could be fixed. I know nothing about the game except for playing the virtual one a few times, so didn't know if the cost to get/fix made sense. It may already be gone if there's anyone else in the area that's been looking, but I think I'll make contact to see if I can get a pic or two.

Thanks for all the advice!

#9 11 years ago

Got a text with pics: There is a part missing which one guy called an apron and the spinning disc but my dad says that we have it.

Trying to see if that means they have both parts, or just the disc. Pics attached.

blackhole1.jpgblackhole1.jpg blackhole2.jpgblackhole2.jpg blackhole3.jpgblackhole3.jpg

#10 11 years ago

Cabinet and play field look good. The board on top of the cabinet in the third pic is worrisome.

Looks like the driver board based on those connector locations.

#11 11 years ago

*Edit*
Missing the apron is a problem as that was a unique apron for BH and a few other Sys80 widebodies (Force II, JB) since the credit and BIP display was located underneath it. If you got it from one of these games you would have to repaint it. The disc missing is also a problem. Steve Young does not have these parts - he has the repro plastic set but not the disc nor apron.

Quoted from blondetall:

my dad says that we have it.

Unless he has these parts from another BH not sure what this means and you'll be hoping for someone to be parting out a BH to get them.

viperrwk

#12 11 years ago

Lastest reply is that he has no idea where the parts are.

Thanks again for the info guys. I told him it was probably way too rich for my blood, but that if he hadn't sold it by this weekend to let me know and I may go look at it. The problem is that I wouldn't even know what I was looking for anyway, so this is probably a pass for me.

#13 11 years ago

As a non-working unusable game in its current condition its worth about $400 assuming all the rest of it is there. You'd then have to sit on it while you hunted parts or sell it for parts yourself and I'm guessing you don't want to do either. If so, good call to pass.

viperrwk

#14 11 years ago

I would look under the playfield for those parts

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

As a non-working unusable game in its current condition its worth about $400 assuming all the rest of it is there. You'd then have to sit on it while you hunted parts or sell it for parts yourself and I'm guessing you don't want to do either. If so, good call to pass.
viperrwk

Ya; I'd offer him $300 if he wants to get out by the weekend.

#16 11 years ago

Run Away, Run Away........

Too many unknowns for a newb. (and I would inlcude me as a newb in this case)

#17 11 years ago

It is odd that the apron is gone and the spinning disc/motor is missing. My understanding is that these are two of the most difficult parts to replace on this machine as they are unique to it. I don't know how someone would have a Black Hole intending to restore it, but then have no idea where those pieces are.

Smells to me like he parted some of it out already. If the parts are there (as suggested possibly under the playfield), then maybe.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

If the parts are there (as suggested possibly under the playfield), then maybe.

Remember that Black Hole has the lower reverse slope playfield, under the main playfield. Not much room for random large extra parts in the cabinet.

#19 11 years ago

He's texted me back: "OK, man, if you want to come out this weekend I will be home. I will be more than glad to show it to you."

Maybe I should put on something super flirty/girly, take a pile of cash, and see what I can get away with. lol I did say that if he found the pieces (under the cabinet maybe?) to let me know.

Update: "Yea, I did look and it wasn't in there. My dad said that we have it so I will have him look tonight."

#20 11 years ago

Just went to Big Daddy's website: $200 for all the electronic parts to bring a game like this up to date.

If you go, take a small pile of cash...

viperrwk

#21 11 years ago

I have an extra spinning disc if you need it.

System 80 games are solid once you do all the mods and buy all new boards kidding. I replaced the driver and solonoid, the power supply is very simple to repair.

follow the guides that are out there, replace the big orange cap and take things one step at a time. unhook all the connectors and test voltages from the power supply before you run the whole game.

I bet the disc is out because the motor went bad. the playfield and cab look good though.

-c

#22 11 years ago

He just magically found the disc and apron.

Crap, now I have to think about considering it again.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

He just magically found the disc and apron.

Crap, now I have to think about considering it again.

Interesting. If it were me I would do it, especially if you could knock off another $100.00. That is me though, I've been interested in a Black Hole for years but gave up because I could never justify the shipping costs or find a decently priced one locally.

#24 11 years ago

In that condition it's a difficult choice. Electronics will make or break this deal. If feasible I wonder how much it would cost to get the board(s) repaired.

#25 11 years ago

I'd budget about $400+ for the PI-80X4 board from Pascal Janin and nip a bunch of problems in the bud.

#26 11 years ago

He found the parts, now its time for flirty and small pile of cash. Take $300 with you and hell take it. no one is beating down his door if he still has it by the weekend.

#27 11 years ago

Is the motor with the disc?

Quoted from PinballHelp:

I'd budget about $400+ for the PI-80X4 board from Pascal Janin and nip a bunch of problems in the bud.

Just priced this from Pascal - $389 with shipping and PayPal fees. Still would probably need about another $100-120 in parts for the required electrical work never mind anything else that might be broken. But if the boards are all there and don't look damaged it's going to be tough to talk him down especially if he has some idea of what he has.

Quoted from the_pin_family:

Take $300 with you and hell take it. no one is beating down his door if he still has it by the weekend.

You have to decide how much you want to pay for this and tell him this is my offer. If he doesn't take it leave him your number and say if you change your mind give me a call. If you sell it for more to someone else congrats.

viperrwk

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Is the motor with the disc?

I asked if all the boards and disc motor were there, and got back "Yes, all the electronics are but the motor for the disc doesn't work."

Husband says if we could get it cheap enough he would be interested in getting it. Heck, I paid $375 for shipping just to get JP to me, so finding one close by that I might be able to get for around shipping costs is at least a start. Guess we'll see if he even still has it on Saturday and go from there.

#29 11 years ago

Next question... will a Black Hole even fit in a Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix)? I've done research and know that a regular size pin will fit in one, but per IPDB this one is wider and longer.

#30 11 years ago

Hmm. Just to be safe I'd see if you can get a fellow pinsider to measure one if they have it and send you the exact dimensions. Would suck to get there ready to pick it up and not be able to fit it.

#31 11 years ago

Don't know if it will fit in a Vibe.

Check this out for some clues:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in

A HH cab is 55"x25.5"x21" LxWxH which is about the same as a BH. You have to take the head off to move it - it is not hinged like later games. All the weight is in the cab because of the two playfields and transformer. Head weighs almost nothing by comparison.

HH was the only game I needed three people to get in my basement. BH isn't much better weight-wise.

viperrwk

#32 11 years ago

Looks decent, I'd feel very safe purchasing it at $400-450.

You want to shoot to keep the end-price at $800 or less which you may reach after the possibility of a $200 MPU, a $100 PS, a $100 plastics set, and most likely several other misc parts and labor may be required to get it up to snuff. If it turns out you don't need to do all those repairs you'll be ahead of the game.

#33 11 years ago

I'd be looking at that BH to buy it if it were me. Start with $300 and wait for his counter offer. as far as the boards go, they aren't difficult to get working unless there is major alkaline damage to the traces on the CPU board. I have many replacements if it turns out that you need one.

There are also a few guys here that know System 80 quite well, some even worked on or contributed to the Pinwiki System 80 pages (Chris Hibler comes to mind, he's also for hire). It won't be a huge problem getting it running again. I'm also kinda known for working on them too. Good luck, post when you get it.

Quoted from blondetall:

I asked if all the boards and disc motor were there, and got back "Yes, all the electronics are but the motor for the disc doesn't work."
Husband says if we could get it cheap enough he would be interested in getting it. Heck, I paid $375 for shipping just to get JP to me, so finding one close by that I might be able to get for around shipping costs is at least a start. Guess we'll see if he even still has it on Saturday and go from there.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I'd be looking at that BH to buy it if it were me. Start with $300 and wait for his counter offer. as far as the boards go, they aren't difficult to get working unless there is major alkaline damage to the traces on the CPU board. I have many replacements if it turns out that you need one.
There are also a few guys here that know System 80 quite well, some even worked on or contributed to the Pinwiki System 80 pages (Chris Hibler comes to mind, he's also for hire). It won't be a huge problem getting it running again. I'm also kinda known for working on them too. Good luck, post when you get it.

If that machine was in the Northeast, it would be gone by now and would have received multiple offers in the process.

viperrwk

#35 11 years ago

More than likely, and if it were on the west coast, I'd own it already.

Quoted from viperrwk:

If that machine was in the Northeast, it would be gone by now and would have received multiple offers in the process.
viperrwk

#36 11 years ago

Thanks again for the advice. If I knew more about them, it would already be in my house too. I'm just nervous since I don't even know what the boards are for the most part. You tell me to check that there's 4 legs and a backbox... I'm your girl. Mention specific internal parts and I get that big eyed dumb blonde look. lol I've got to work 14 hours tomorrow but will check in with him again and will probably get up Saturday and go see it if it isn't already gone. My dad has an Explorer that it will probably fit in, and Dad is the mechanic in the family, so may let him know about it and bring him along. (Heck, wonder if I can batt my eyes and get them to deliver...) I'll let you all know something tomorrow since it will either already be sold or I'll make the appointment to see it.

#37 11 years ago

BT, I hope your husband knows he's a lucky man, my wife ignores my hobby (which if looked at the right way, could be a good thing. I'm up to around 90+ pinballs ... lost count). Again, good luck.

Quoted from blondetall:

Thanks again for the advice. If I knew more about them, it would already be in my house too. I'm just nervous since I don't even know what the boards are for the most part. You tell me to check that there's 4 legs and a backbox... I'm your girl. Mention specific internal parts and I get that big eyed dumb blonde look. lol I've got to work 14 hours tomorrow but will check in with him again and will probably get up Saturday and go see it if it isn't already gone. My dad has an Explorer that it will probably fit in, and Dad is the mechanic in the family, so may let him know about it and bring him along. (Heck, wonder if I can batt my eyes and get them to deliver...) I'll let you all know something tomorrow since it will either already be sold or I'll make the appointment to see it.

#38 11 years ago

The last set of BH backglasses sold for over $400 on ebay. It is worth the price in parts alone. I used a substitute motor for the spinning disc and it works just fine. It will take some time and money, but will be worth it when it's up and running.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I hope your husband knows he's a lucky man

Aw, thanks. We are around each other basically 24/7 (work together, carpool, are best friends after 15 years together and being married for 9 of those) so it's a good thing we have common interests or at least put up with each others hobbies.

I had to work 9 AM - 11:45 PM yesterday, and when I checked the CL ad it was gone, so I'm guessing that someone ran and grabbed it. Which is honestly probably for the better, because I'm sure it was way over my head at this point anyway. It didn't help that every info sheet or video I watched on it started with "Operators hated this machine because it cost a ton to maintain." So I'll keep saving up for Predator and looking for other deals in the meanwhile.

Again, I really appreciate all the help and advice!!

#40 11 years ago

I'd call or email the guy and find out.
You also mentioned that your Husband has good electronics skills and experience and your Father has very good mechanical skills. To me that sounds like you all could get the BH up and running again. And don't forget all the good help and knowledge that your fellow Pinsiders can give you.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from playpin35:

The last set of BH backglasses sold for over $400 on ebay. It is worth the price in parts alone. I used a substitute motor for the spinning disc and it works just fine. It will take some time and money, but will be worth it when it's up and running.

What substitute motor did you use?

#42 11 years ago

FYI - replaced my motor with the parts listed here:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Replacing_Black_Hole_Lower_Playfield_Illumination_Lamps_with_.2344_Lamps
No problems and super quick. The motor and parts listed here are all you need.

#43 11 years ago

I like the fix for the lower playfield lights.

Quoted from bigduke13:

FYI - replaced my motor with the parts listed here:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Replacing_Black_Hole_Lower_Playfield_Illumination_Lamps_with_.2344_Lamps
No problems and super quick. The motor and parts listed here are all you need.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I like the fix for the lower playfield lights.

I guess you would sir!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/550-for-a-non-working-black-hole-even-worth-looking-into and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.