(Topic ID: 42402)

5101 & 6264 RAM IC Tester

By NeoLoch

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5101_Tester_-_PCD_Problematik.pdf (PDF preview)
    memory_tester.jpg
    NLT-28P-12LED-5S.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Hello Everyone, my name is David Hoffman and I'm the owner/operator of NeoLoch, LLC.

I've just released a new product that many of you will find interesting, a simple easy to use RAM IC tester for the 5101 and 6264 RAM ICs. You can learn more about the tester at the following link:
    http://www.neoloch.com/products/NLT-28P-12LED-5S.php

The simple design of this tester makes it a breeze to use. Just put in the IC, select what RAM type you're testing and press the the enter button. The tester will then display a series of red and green LEDs indicating if specific memory ranges are good or bad.

Once a test is complete, the ZIF socket is completely powered down for safe removal and insertion of additional ICs to be tested.

If you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer them.

Thank you,

David

NLT-28P-12LED-5S.jpgNLT-28P-12LED-5S.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Interesting. What are the five buttons for?
    --
    Chris Hibler

#3 11 years ago

The tester is actually designed to be as configurable as possible, what I mean by this is that it can be custom programmed to do other things than just test RAM ICs. The buttons were added to the design to allow control over various functions of the tester.

Right now, only the up, right, and enter buttons are used. These select either a 6264 RAM IC or a 5101 (or compatible) RAM IC, the center "enter" key initiates the test.

I'm currently working on adding additional RAM IC testing capabilities to the tester and updated firmware will be released down that will add additional RAM IC support and features.

#4 11 years ago

I'll be assembling one of these by the end of this week & really look forward to it helping to identify suspected bad RAM. Also have a small pile of pulled RAM (some good, some bad) that this should help me quickly work through.

I've had my own share of classic Bally/Stern machines with 5101's that boot fine, but do some really weird stuff with bad RAM. Something like this a few years ago would have saved me many many headaches!

1 week later
    #5 11 years ago

Finally got one of the bare boards I bought from David all assembled (had to get some red LEDs) -- works great! Confirmed a dead 5101 I had & another 3 that were working pulls passed with flying colors. Also verified some 6264 RAM with it. Now I'll be hunting for bad RAM

Thanks for the product David, looking forward to seeing some additional memory added in the future via the firmware updates!

memory_tester.jpgmemory_tester.jpg

1 week later
    #6 11 years ago

Ordered this today. Pretty cool for $20.

2 weeks later
    #7 11 years ago

Is this tester able, to test PHILLIPS PCD5101 the correct way???

- Ingo

#8 11 years ago

Out of curiosity...other than the Phillips parts tending to be a bit faster -- what makes it different for testing?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Out of curiosity...other than the Phillips parts tending to be a bit faster -- what makes it different for testing?

Ed, my question was also out of curiosity. As you know, we have designed a similar product before this one, and we had some problems with the PCD5101. There were wrong results (known good PCD-chips were tested as wrong). Look into the datasheets and see the truth tables and see attached pdf-file.

The tester should be able, to test all 5101/2101 and all derivatives as they are:

5101-1 : 450nS
    5101L-1 : 450nS
    5101-2 : 450nS
    5101L-2 : 450nS
    5101 : 650nS
    5101L : 650nS
    5101-3 : 650nS
    5101L-3 : 650nS
    5101-8 : 800nS
    P5101L
    5101L3
    D5101L
    D5101L-3
    D5101LC
    D5101LC-1
    HA35101-5
    M5M5101
    MWS5101EL-3
    S5101L-1
    SCM5101C
    SCM5101E
    SCM5101E-3
    UPD5101LC
    SCM5101C
    PCD5101

And the tester should also be able, to test all the NVRAM-adapters, that are on the market.

- Ingo

1 year later
    #10 9 years ago

Is this tester still available or is there an updated version.
    I'm interested in getting one.

8 months later
    #12 9 years ago

Bumping this up.
    This is one of the greatest products, I have ever bought and David´s service it absolutly TOP.
    David really is a great guy and wonderful to deal with.

- Ingo

#13 9 years ago

he needs to work on the 5101 test though. it's good, but not perfect at all. i have several 5101 rams that pass his test, but that crash a -35 board.

2 weeks later
    #14 9 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

he needs to work on the 5101 test though. it's good, but not perfect at all. i have several 5101 rams that pass his test, but that crash a -35 board.

Was that with this older model or the updated version with the lcd display? The updated version seems a lot more thorough with what its testing. In any case, there should also be some firmeware updates for this older model and if you're still having issues even after upgrading to the latest firmware.. email David and he may be able to look into what's going on. His support has always been great in my experience.

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/5101-6264-ram-ic-tester and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.