(Topic ID: 97997)

50's Gottlieb - best art plus gameplay?

By Shapeshifter

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

003.JPG
    002.JPG
    WorldChamp 6.jpg
    WorldChamp 4.jpg
    WorldChamp 5.jpg
    WorldChamp 1.jpg
    WorldChamp 2.jpg
    WorldChamp 3.jpg
    Direct hit on Jap Sub.JPG
    j-sub.jpg
    J-sub periscope.jpg
    J-commander.jpg
    maersk.png
    20130916_204540.jpg
    20130922_115717.jpg
    2012-08-28_20-40-39_469.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 9 years ago

I consider myself a wood rail fan but really have limited experience. So many are beautiful. That's the easy part, but it's hard to get time on many of them to base any judgement on gameplay. As Dirt mentioned rather than hunt for titles my considerations have been limited to what has became available.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a 1951 Globe Trotter a couple years ago. From a distance it doesn't appear to have the most compelling art package but once you get up close it has some very charming detail. I really enjoy the gameplay. It has four flippers, two regular and two reversed. You wouldn't think an early game could have great flow but this one does. It has a lot going on with many ways to earn a special. Lots of ways to win, but all challenging, keeps it interesting. A very fun old timer that I still like to play weekly.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

There are many woodrails which boast great gameplay as well as wonderful art. I think that Chicago Coin's 1951 Thing is a terrific game, which features attractive Roy Parker art, and which has remained under the proverbial radar. Pinside's "community" section is currently running my article about Thing, in the event that you're interested in learning more about a game which doesn't often find its way into forum discussions about the best woodrails. Thing has a remarkable audio element, not found on any other woodrail to my knowledge. Among the games which are strong in both play and art, you may prefer one category of gameplay design over another. Thus, I suspect that you would benefit to sample various classes of games, prior to purchase.

I'm sure Thing does fly under the radar a bit but not entirely. There are those that realize it's a great game but how often do you even see one.

I used to make pinball calendars. In 2006 I featured Raphael Lankar's (Paris Pinball Museum) Thing for September.

06Calendar.jpg06Calendar.jpg
    #28 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Indeed, some games are relatively unknown because they so rarely appear at pinball expos and few good examples exist. I suppose that I'll have to get my THING to a show. Meanwhile, we can enjoy the photos in your nice pinball calendars. Here's a few more THING photos:

That Thing is beautiful. I love that Thing.

2 weeks later
    #49 9 years ago

Do you still have your Wonderland Levi? I'd love to find one, but yes you're right, good luck. I've seen a couple rough examples for sale but not "the one" yet.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/50s-gottlieb-best-art-plus-gameplay?tu=alexf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.