5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Shapeshifter
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 27 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

003.JPG
    002.JPG
    WorldChamp 6.jpg
    WorldChamp 4.jpg
    WorldChamp 5.jpg
    WorldChamp 1.jpg
    WorldChamp 2.jpg
    WorldChamp 3.jpg
    Direct hit on Jap Sub.JPG
    j-sub.jpg
    J-sub periscope.jpg
    J-commander.jpg
    maersk.png
    20130916_204540.jpg
    20130922_115717.jpg
    2012-08-28_20-40-39_469.jpg

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

As one who owns several woodies, I stated earlier in the thread that the 1957 World Champ is one of my favorites for both artwork and game play. Sending up a few pix....I was lucky to find an example that was fully restored several years ago with a NOS playfield. I've been looking for awhile for a Knock Out to compliment this machine, but, good ones are not to be found near me, or at least for sale.
    Joel

Good looking lineup and very nice looking World Champ! Big thanks to Wade Krause for those fantastic playfield repros eh?

Great Derby Day too - another cool woodrail!

- Tim

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

As one who owns several woodies, I stated earlier in the thread that the 1957 World Champ is one of my favorites for both artwork and game play. Sending up a few pix....I was lucky to find an example that was fully restored several years ago with a NOS playfield. I've been looking for awhile for a Knock Out to compliment this machine, but, good ones are not to be found near me, or at least for sale.
    Joel

Your World Champ is in beautiful condition Joel congrats.

WorldChamp 3.jpg 206 KB

WorldChamp 2.jpg 208 KB

WorldChamp 1.jpg 256 KB

WorldChamp 5.jpg 212 KB

WorldChamp 4.jpg 180 KB

WorldChamp 6.jpg 237 KB

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Good looking lineup and very nice looking World Champ! Big thanks to Wade Krause for those fantastic playfield repros eh?
    Great Derby Day too - another cool woodrail!
    - Tim

Hi Tim,
    Wade Krause makes fantastic repros, but this World Champ has an original new old stock playfield. I don't know the full story, but apparently there was a large cache of hundreds of NOS Gottlieb playfields squirreled away by a collector in the midwest. The previous owner of the World Champ was able to locate one and had it put in when the machine was restored.

In fact, if you look closely, you can some insect damage on the shooter lane. A problem, years ago, that afflicted the playfields in storage. Fortunately, the critters left the playfield paint alone. It certainly doesn't effect game play, and it acts as a badge of originality...

Thanks for the compliments!

Joel

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

Hi Tim,
    Wade Krause makes fantastic repros, but this World Champ has an original new old stock playfield. I don't know the full story, but apparently there was a large cache of hundreds of NOS Gottlieb playfields squirreled away by a collector in the midwest. The previous owner of the World Champ was able to locate one and had it put in when the machine was restored.
    In fact, if you look closely, you can some insect damage on the shooter lane. A problem, years ago, that afflicted the playfields in storage. Fortunately, the critters left the playfield paint alone. It certainly doesn't effect game play, and it acts as a badge of originality...
    Thanks for the compliments!
    Joel

Your NOS playfield may have come from this collection that was sold in 1997.

002.JPG 003.JPG
    #55 5 years ago

The article is too big for my scanner. If you can't read it let me know and I will scan it in pieces.

#56 5 years ago

Dennis,
    Thank you for the scan. It is readable on my computer screen. Yes, my playfield did come from this collection. The article substantiates what I was told by the previous owner, including the fact that dozens of playfields were hung on the walls like "wall paper."

J

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

Dennis,
    Thank you for the scan. It is readable on my computer screen. Yes, my playfield did come from this collection. The article substantiates what I was told by the previous owner, including the fact that dozens of playfields were hung on the walls like "wall paper."
    J

I believe Joe Grenuk was part of the group that bought the collection. Maybe he can chime in here with more info.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I believe Joe Grenuk was part of the group that bought the collection. Maybe he can chime in here with more info.

Yes, I think it was Joe, and the late Donal Murphy.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Yes, I think it was Joe, and the late Donal Murphy.

You are correct.

I have the story from Joe's perspective in an e-mail - it's very interesting - hopefully Joe can share. RIP Donal.

2 weeks later
    #60 4 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

Crap. I forgot that I have a '58 Rocket Ship as well. Probably because I intend to sell/trade it.
    Great looking game but it plays like an operator's dream instead of home-use fun, imho. The roto-target is an evil lure for SDTM shots that should just be avoided, as well as the gobble holes. So this limits gameplay to the upper half.
    Having to spell R-O-C-K-E-T-S-H-I-P for Special on the backglass that carries over from game-to-game is a 'one-more-try!' lure. This would make a great location game.
    I wired in a bulb so the 'Game Over' actually lights, originally omitted from the factory.

My thks to OTTOgd for assisting me on reversible wiring solution to 'game over' light on Rocket Ship-it certainly adds panache to the backglass.

20130922_115717.jpg 238 KB

20130916_204540.jpg 246 KB

3 weeks later
    #61 4 years ago

Played Sittin Pretty - lovely looking game.

I can see why many people don't like woodrails. They bruise ego's like no other games! Not much control, flipper catches etc - just brutal the way the ball disappears on this game.

That said it is great to have such a challenge - can only get better playing these kind of games. Shame more people don't have 1 woodrail to remind them of the origins of pinball and to get a good kicking. I thought Iron Man 2010 was hard but man this game is tough.

Tons of one more game potential though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 329.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 13.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 16.00
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 189.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside