(Topic ID: 147817)

5.05 Witch Glitch at game start. Can you reproduce this, too?

By PinMonk

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by FXR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

<1y  7,650 64

Giving this its own thread to see if others can make this happen now that I can give a method of reproducing it 100% of the time on my WOZ machine with 5.05. Try this on yours running 5.05 and report if you can make it happen, too!

UPDATE to the Weird Witch Skill Shot/Hurryup bug that can happen at game start in 5.05!

Okay, had this happen again today and was able to pay closer attention. Turned the machine on. As SOON as the screen came up with the scarecrow I started pressing “START” to begin a game. It took three presses before it registered (three slow press and holds). When it finally DID register, instead of the witch animation that normally starts a game, I got the orange “Skill shot” animation and 5,075 points, THEN the ball launched up from the trough to be launched. This clearly shows it’s a program bug and not a loose witch switch because there was NO mechanical action before Skill Shot was displayed, and the witch start game animation never played.

This event also locked most of the playfield lights on the right to green, as well as the lights in the state fair area. The rest of the lights were all locked to various colors.

EDIT: I can reproduce it! From power on, start pressing and holding then releasing Start slowly in succession as soon as Scarecrow shows up. this time it took 4 presses before the game started, and I got the glitch to happen instead of the witch animation to start the game! It also messes up the lighting in different ways most times.

EDIT2: 100% reproduction rate with the above method.

EDIT3: After getting it to happen whenever I did this, and not happen when I didn't, now I can't get it to happen. Maybe the machine is too "warmed up" now (it was off all night before I first tried this)? I guess I'll try again in the morning after it's been off all night again.

#2 8 years ago

Don't have all those issues, but I do get 5075 points before launching the first ball. No switches being hit.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from FXR:

Don't have all those issues, but I do get 5075 points before launching the first ball. No switches being hit.

Is the witch on the screen, with the countdown frozen when this happens to you? The 5000 is from the skill shot (you didn't do) and the 75 is from the witch switch (you didn't hit). Also, when you get this do some or all of the lights freeze or turn a solid color if you play that ball?

I think this is probably the same bug I'm talking about, but you can eliminate that it's an overly sensitive witch switch by going into switch test mode and hitting the playfield with your hand to see if the witch switch activates from vibration (it shouldn't). IF it doesn't you're probably seeing the same bug I'm talking about with the 5,075 points before you do anything.

#4 8 years ago

After checking my witch switches I found one to be way to sensitive. After I adjusted it, it did not score any points before shooting the ball. Haven't experienced any of the other problems you mentioned above. Glad I checked because I wouldn't want to have Keith chasing problems that don't exist. Sorry about that.

Well just played another game and I'll be damned if it didn't give me the 5075 points again on starting up the game. Does not do it every game and I'm sure it's not a switch making contact. So maybe yes it's a bug.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.50
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/505-witch-glitch-at-game-start-can-you-reproduce-this-too and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.