Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by adol75
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRyan:

I can honestly say, I didn't like Metallica when I first played it. Took me a few times playing it to start to appreciate it. However I enjoyed Iron Maiden from first flip.
    Just trying to decide on Pro or Premium now

I hear you on Met. I have played it many times, and just dont like it. Not sure why. I dont like Kiss either and that game feel similar.

We have an IMLE at our office. I can say I really dont care for the game without the lifting ramp in the middle. Thats just my opinion, but I wouldnt get an IM pro.

#52 4 years ago

If I was getting one pin I would buy the 5k loaded ghostbusters I see on craigslist, 2 pins and I would get a classic Bally Williams dmd from the 90's and another 90's or newer dmd. There is a long list of ones I would consider from the 90's but my favorites would include getaway, shadow, indy 500, no fear, nascar, fish tales, too many to list.

#53 4 years ago

I have a TSPP and a TWD Prem so if i had 5,000 i would get a Aerosmith Pro.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

If I was getting one pin I would buy the 5k loaded ghostbusters I see on craigslist, 2 pins and I would get a classic Bally Williams dmd from the 90's and another 90's or newer dmd. There is a long list of ones I would consider from the 90's but my favorites would include getaway, shadow, indy 500, no fear, nascar, fish tales, too many to list.

If you could get shadow and anything it would be my choice but current price you can’t so I would just get a shadow and save 1000-1500.

#55 4 years ago

Champion Pub or ACDC Pro

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRyan:

I can honestly say, I didn't like Metallica when I first played it. Took me a few times playing it to start to appreciate it. However I enjoyed Iron Maiden from first flip.
    Just trying to decide on Pro or Premium now

Same here. You really have to understand basic rules of MET to enjoy it imo. I didn't think much of it at first when just shooting around. Once I started focusing on rules and getting to CIU modes, I was hooked. Iron Maiden is a game that is just flat out fun to flip even before you start picking up on the rules. Pro is probably the smarter choice since you are not missing much in terms of gameplay but I do like the premium art and features. Hoping prices will come down in a year or so when more shiny new games flood the market.

#57 4 years ago

Met Pro all day long. I play it more than the rest of my pins combined.

#58 4 years ago

I'm in the same situation currently. I have about $5,000 cash but only one space in my game room. Right now I'm considering a show special AFMr (CE), if I can find one in the neighborhood of $5,500. I'd also consider an Iron Maiden or Lord of the Rings. Other then that, I'm just going to sit on the cash and jump on any machine I haven't owned that is under priced.

PS: I currently own Metallica and agree with others that have made that suggestion.

#59 4 years ago

If I had $5K for whatever pinball machines I wanted - I’d buy 40 project EMs and make a fortune.

#60 4 years ago

New Hot tub...

#61 4 years ago

Star Trek Pro, Deadpool pro, spider man, Iron man, Metallica pro, Guardians of the Galaxy pro, Iron Maiden pro, Star Wars pro- should be able to find any one of these for around $5000 or less. Stern pros seem to be very reliable and enjoyable pins.

#62 4 years ago

I picked up a Star Trek: Next Generation not too long ago and I love it. So much stuff, great shots, great callouts by the entire cast.

#63 4 years ago

Find a used WOZ. So much fun.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I picked up a Star Trek: Next Generation not too long ago and I love it. So much stuff, great shots, great callouts by the entire cast.

I've recently traded from Congo to Star Trek: Then Next Generations to Ghostbusters (Pro). Honestly, each step along the way, I've felt it's been a step down. If you don't mind the theme, I think Congo is the best player of the bunch.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm in the same situation currently. I have about $5,000 cash but only one space in my game room. Right now I'm considering a show special AFMr (CE), if I can find one in the neighborhood of $5,500. I'd also consider an Iron Maiden or Lord of the Rings. Other then that, I'm just going to sit on the cash and jump on any machine I haven't owned that is under priced.
    PS: I currently own Metallica and agree with others that have made that suggestion.

AFM remake is my favorite choice of a pin in the reasonable price range. Still greater than $5K but such a great pin it’s almost everything I want in one package.

#66 4 years ago

Jackbot and a Dirty Harry

#67 4 years ago

Seems like you might be more into nostalgia of the 80's/90's when you were growing up (similar to me)....

I would take my time and find 2 pin's from that era. I have had lot's of these (Starship Troopers, X-Files, T3, Last Action Hero, Twister, Getaway), and all of them were obtained for under $2500.

#68 4 years ago

Iron Maiden

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Metallica (if you like to shoot toys)
    Maiden (if you like to shoot ramps and loops)
    The Walking Dead (if you want to shoot yourself)

Nominated for post of the week.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRyan:

I am in the same boat. Trying to decide on a Metallica or Iron Maiden. But I am really struggling with saving a little more and getting the premium versions. Not a huge fan of IM music and love Metallica. However I like both and simply want the game I enjoy the most. So far I think IM wins. It's a 50/50 split on whether the premium is worth the extra coin on those 2 games.

I had the Met Pro and sold it to buy the premium which I still have and enjoy. My wife and I played INMDN Pro at Zapcon last year and we were in the market for one immediately after we played it. That was pretty rare that a pin clicked with my wife since she doesn't even play with me at home. We ended up grabbing a like new pro with 100ish plays on it for a good price. At Zapcon this year they had a premium we got the chance to put 10 plays on or so and neither of us felt the need to sell the pro to buy the premium. I am much more of a fan of Metallica music but I would say that I enjoy the IMDN pin more right now.

#71 4 years ago

Good advice so far from folks. Myself being a “value” pinball guy, reading this makes me pretty stoked to own AFMR CE, along with IMDN and Met Pros.

#72 4 years ago

If you like the theme you can’t go wrong with ST . Very fun game !

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

If you like the theme you can’t go wrong with ST . Very fun game !

Even if you don't like the theme(I don't), it's still a great game.

#74 4 years ago

Firepower 1k range
    F-14 $1700
    Demo man $2300

#75 4 years ago

Deadpool for the kickass layout!

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

So we are just using IM to denote Iron Maiden now?

No one is doing that. Most that use pinball acronyms are now just referring to Iron Maiden as "Maiden". I always liked IrMa but no one uses that at all.

IM= Classic Stern Iron Maiden (or) New Stern Iron Man
    IM2= New Stern Iron Man
    Maiden= New Stern Iron Maiden

#77 4 years ago

Genie, Austin Powers or RTC and Lazer War

#78 4 years ago

Metallica pro would be my pick.

#79 4 years ago

Iron man and a fun em.

#80 4 years ago

TSPP, Met pro, LOTR, TWD pro

#81 4 years ago

Dear lord, please don’t even think about virtual pinball. It’s all fine but you be missing the entire world of real pinball which you will eventually find anyway and then have to sell your vpin. I play games on my ipad but get a real pin and don’t look back.

#82 4 years ago

Both IMDN and Met pros are great games. I’d take IMDN over Met it has that one more game factor. Opens up quicker that Met, doesn’t feel like your trying to chop wood to get to the crank it up modes. IMDN Is never leaving the collection....Just saying

#83 4 years ago

I don't care how great a game is... having only 1 is pretty tough. Being able to switch back and forth makes sense, unless space is an issue.

I'd go with a System 11 and a 90's DMD.

For System 11, I'd argue for something like Pinbot, Taxi, or SOF. I'd really wanna say WW here, but I doubt you could find one working for $2500 or less. Ideally you could get this pin for around $2k.

For 90's DMD, I'm partial to something like Judge Dredd or Shadow, both are findable at ~$3k. Road Show as well I'd say.

Shadow + Pinbot, I see them sell for roughly $3200 + $1800... right at $5k.
    Judge Dredd + Taxi. I tend to see this combo more of the $2900 + $2100... again right at $5k.

Something like that. YMMV.

#84 4 years ago

After reading the thread title and before entering the thread, I said to myself Metallica Pro. It was my first NiB and I still love it 2 years later. Second I would say Game of Thrones Pro. The Walking Dead Pro is a good game, but you must understand it is going to kick your ass.

#85 4 years ago

DMD - MET pro

SS's - Eight ball deluxe & Seawitch

#86 4 years ago

I would go with a newer Stern pro, such as Metallica, Deadpool, or Guardians of the Galaxy.

A lot of people do not like the shots on Houdini, but that is my sleeper pick here. It is frustrating for several plays until you find the shots. However, once you begin to open the game up it has such great and deep code and some very unique modes. It is challenging, but I believe it will have you coming back for more. A used one can be found for approximately $5,200 to $5,600, which is an incredible price considering the build quality.

Also, like others have said, The Shadow is excellent and you can save $1k from your price range. The game has great 90s toys and is very fast.

#87 4 years ago

A time machine, go back 30 years and fill up the house.

Seriously, agree with other that BH is a great pin. Get that and perhaps
    some later EM's like Capt Fantastic, Aztek or others that fit your interests.
    Other early SS pins like Spiderman, MARS:GOW and Sinbad would be
    high on my list if I didn't already have them.
    Steve

#88 4 years ago

I'd grab a Metallica for the $5000, but that's me. Grabbing 2 for the same price isn't a bad idea but the market for 2 decent $2500 pins is more limited than it was 4-5 years ago depending on your area.

#89 4 years ago

Boy I can tell everyone’s recommendations are East Coast prices ... have of the recommendations on anything but new Sterns are not anything near what we see on the West Coast. New or nearly new Stern prices seem consistent.

#90 4 years ago

Is it odd to hear from an owner of Rbion zero mods who thinks that it’s worth more than $5K?

#91 4 years ago

The more I play the more I like Data East Machines. If I could find a deal I'd go for a Jurassic Park and Last Action Hero pair.

#92 4 years ago

Join me - 1) Getaway & 2) Jurassic Park. Both fun games, very different, and great mod opportunities (if you are into that).

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Join me - 1) Getaway & 2) Jurassic Park. Both fun games, very different, and great mod opportunities (if you are into that).

Funny, I'm seriously considering getting a getaway to sit next to my Jurassic Park.

#94 4 years ago

Police force, pinbot, taxi

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

I'm just getting into pinball. I have a bunch of arcade games but only one pin. 1976 fireball home model

With a $5K budget, I recommend:

1) Bally Fireball Classic;
    2) Gottlieb Joker Poker solid state version; and,
    3) Capcom Breakshot.

All 3 titles are still excellent values in this escalating marketplace. Above-average examples can be found for under $2K. Also, each title is likely to hold its value or appreciate.

You would be acquiring well-regarded games from 3 different manufacturers, bestowing the benefit of variety in terms of the "feel" of each. Also, each game has a distinctive theme. Properly tuned older games (EMs included), play equally fast as the new releases.

Because of production and availability, you will always be able to buy a newer Stern title whereas the market for these somewhat older classics is drying up. Two years from now, the sub-$2K category will be even thinner. Good luck!

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Dear lord, please don’t even think about virtual pinball. It’s all fine but you be missing the entire world of real pinball which you will eventually find anyway and then have to sell your vpin. I play games on my ipad but get a real pin and don’t look back.

Just chiming in to reinforce this point! Save your money and floorspace for the real thing!

One good, genuine analog MACHINE is better than 500 emulated ones. The experience of playing emulated pinball in a physical cabinet has a cool novelty factor but is really not a sufficient enough improvement over simply playing through a PC or game console to justify the cost and space.

(I’d give the same advice about xxxx-in-1 video game cabinets. In addition to being no more fun than a cheap PC+Xarcade tankstick+MAME, you also fall into the trap of choice paralysis and spend more time selecting the games than playing them.)

#98 4 years ago

One other question I would consider in this equation- Do you have access to any other games for location play(assuming you want to play on location)? You might want some different eras or game play styles for your home games versus what you can go down the street in drop money into. The way this usually manifests is XYZ arcade bar has a lineup of all late model Stern machines. I like the idea that someone else brought up of an early solid state game and a 90's DMD game. Let's say $800-$1500 for the early SS and the rest for a 90's DMD. The 90's B and C tier titles are getting pricier by the day. These used to be the sweet spot in the market...

#99 4 years ago

Black Hole and a Meteor.. Both fairly easy to find in decent shape, and likely will have money left over to think about another purchase.

#100 4 years ago

If you go music route I would say MET all day.
    ST Pro for great game play and flow.
    TWD Pro if you dig the theme and code will keep you into it.
    Or maybe just go AFMr or MBr classic with a little more $. You can't
    go wrong with one of these two in a quick growing small collection.

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/5000-what-you-buying-/page/2?hl=wamonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.