IMG_0833 (resized).JPG
IMG_0831 (resized).JPG
IMG_0830 (resized).JPG
IMG_0832 (resized).JPG
IMG_3266 (resized).JPG
AVSevolution1 (resized).png
AVSevolution3 (resized).png
AVSevolution2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#209 7 years ago

Nah, while that's cute and all - the real counter to the Analogue NT is the RetroUSB AVS. Shipping in September, $185!

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=78

1 week later
#219 7 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

the new retrousb AVS looks pretty bitchin'

I've got one on order...Gonna stick an Everdrive N8 in there and never open the flap again

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I'm not sure, but in my opinion, I can't see how they justify that hefty price tag for the "mini" when it's basically just an emulation box like that others out there.
for me, (even though I couldn't see spending the $500 on the original), the cool part was that you were getting a "real" famicom/nes. they even restricted the number of units that they produced because they salvaged and included the audio chip set from the famicom disc unit. famicom disc titles like the original "legend of zelda" had a much fuller soundtrack, than their cartridge counterparts

How do you know the mini isn't using Famicom parts? I heard that it was.

As far as the RetroUSB AVS goes, it's not an emulation box. It's a FPGA "simulation" of a NES and is playing the carts legit, unlike the Retron which is an emulator dumping the rom.

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

"emulation", "simulation"... call it what you like. if the hardware isn't the same, then it's just like a pc/raspsberry pi running an application
I haven't read too much about the mini, but I do recall seeing them post that the reason why the original was limited to [x] units was due to the fact that they only had access to [x] famicom disk systems to vulture the parts from. that circuit board was basically a re-working of nintendo's.
and while it's true that they may have had another year to gather up more FDSs from the 2nd hand stores in japan, unless they've managed to source more than 100-200 at rock bottom prices. plus, if the mini is just an FPGA, did they program it to use the actual audio chipset from the FDS and is it included on this new board? answers to these questions and more are things I do not possess the information

AVS is not like an emulator or pi. It's playing the cart, no lag.

3 weeks later
#229 7 years ago

I've been playing my AVS all week! It's incredible!!!

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Any chance you're using it on a 4k tv? Wondering what it looks like. I'm not willing to spend 400-700 on the NT, but I'd at least consider 200 on the AVS.

I'm using a 1080p projector. My friend is using a 4K and I think that messes with the scanlines a bit (makes them less even) on his, but I dunno if that's something that happens on all 4K TVs.

Here are a few pics of the AVS on my display:

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from Capinball:

Are you playing the games off of original cartridges or off of a powerpak cartridge? I'm wondering if it's worth getting one. I only have 20 of my original NES cartridges and everything else I play on my htpc through emulators.

I'm using an Everdrive N8. Every game ever, pop it in - never take it out! I do have some random carts tho...everything works great!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/500-new-nes-video-game-system-for-preorder-hdmi-out?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.