IMG_0833 (resized).JPG
IMG_0831 (resized).JPG
IMG_0830 (resized).JPG
IMG_0832 (resized).JPG
IMG_3266 (resized).JPG
AVSevolution1 (resized).png
AVSevolution3 (resized).png
AVSevolution2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

You can only play the games built into it. It won't play your existing collection. And it also won't use use your old controllers (different plug).
If anything it's an answer to the Flashback Retro consoles (Atari VCS, Colecovision, and intelivision)

correct. the only advantage is that the controllers can also be used with the wii and wii-u

1 week later
#217 7 years ago

the analogue nt mini isn't that great in my opinion. only $50 cheaper than the original? what set the analogue nt apart was that it was an actual board set with the same [salvaged] chips from famicom's. the mini just has an FPGA in it (which I believe is probably what the retrousb has. and it's weird that nowhere in the email announcement for the mini do they actually mention that the case is milled from a block of aluminium like the original was

additionally, the retrousb unit is 720p which is a factor 3x the resolution of the famicom/nes. 1080p is not an even multiplier so the image is going to be slightly dithered

#221 7 years ago

I'm not sure, but in my opinion, I can't see how they justify that hefty price tag for the "mini" when it's basically just an emulation box like that others out there.

for me, (even though I couldn't see spending the $500 on the original), the cool part was that you were getting a "real" famicom/nes. they even restricted the number of units that they produced because they salvaged and included the audio chip set from the famicom disc unit. famicom disc titles like the original "legend of zelda" had a much fuller soundtrack, than their cartridge counterparts

#223 7 years ago

"emulation", "simulation"... call it what you like. if the hardware isn't the same, then it's just like a pc/raspsberry pi running an application

I haven't read too much about the mini, but I do recall seeing them post that the reason why the original was limited to [x] units was due to the fact that they only had access to [x] famicom disk systems to vulture the parts from. that circuit board was basically a re-working of nintendo's.

and while it's true that they may have had another year to gather up more FDSs from the 2nd hand stores in japan, unless they've managed to source more than 100-200 at rock bottom prices. plus, if the mini is just an FPGA, did they program it to use the actual audio chipset from the FDS and is it included on this new board? answers to these questions and more are things I do not possess the information

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/500-new-nes-video-game-system-for-preorder-hdmi-out?tu=j_m_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.