Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Djshakes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F564AB70-FD8A-4A6F-BEA8-D8FE00B35983 (resized).jpeg

#1 5 years ago

Love it or hate it, 50 years ago today we got stuck with it.

Thanks, Pete.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-who-pinball-wizard/

Have a good day, Wizards

Don C.

#2 5 years ago

Put me down as ok/proud to be called a pinball wizard.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Put me down as ok/proud to be called a pinball wizard.

Put me down as cringing every time I am.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Put me down as cringing every time I am.

+1

#5 5 years ago

Won’t get fooled again.

#6 5 years ago

My nickname in high school was "Wizard", both for playing prowess and for working at a number of arcades. A lot of people in my old home town still call me that, some (LARGE) number of years later.

#7 5 years ago

It's either wizard or pinhead, pick your poison.

#8 5 years ago

I've seen me play.... No wizard here.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

In this club

#10 5 years ago

"We?" I see a couple in here maybe but that;s it.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

You forgot “That weirdo with all the pinball machines.”

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Exactly how I feel as well. Doesn't mean it isn't fun, but I think the term should be reserved for those who play well. But the song is there...

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

You forgot “That weirdo with all the pinball machines.”

Oh yeah, I think I'm that one.

#15 5 years ago

No joke, Me and the wife were in Vegas for the first time last sept. We went to freemont st for one night. And it just so happened they played pinball wizard on the animatron roof thingy. Wife just looked at me and shook her head!

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

“That weirdo with all the pinball machines.”

Isn't that why a lot of us are here on Pinside? Most people don't understand anyone spending many thousands on these games. Only others here on Pinside who share our interest can appreciate and laud our game rooms and choices in games.

#17 5 years ago

It's bad enough when someone asks me "are you a pinball wizard?"

But when they ask me "are you the pinball wizard?" I want to smack them silly.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Hellraiser is a hell of a lot better than Tommy. :p

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Most people don't understand anyone spending many thousands on these games.

In my world it's more about the space. Most people don't understand anyone consuming the whole lower level of the house with these games. I counter that it makes more sense than another TV or movie viewing room - or a bunch of storage tubs holding stuff I never use.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#20 5 years ago
    F564AB70-FD8A-4A6F-BEA8-D8FE00B35983 (resized).jpegF564AB70-FD8A-4A6F-BEA8-D8FE00B35983 (resized).jpeg
    #21 5 years ago

The success of Pinball Wizard as a hit single was a highly significant turning point in popular/culture opinions about pinball as a pastime. I've spoken about this at some of the pinball shows. The key point: an outside pop-culture force that was already considered cool (rock & rool, as exemplified by The Who) was able to impart some coolness to pinball. Our portrayal in mass media turned around after that. I was there and saw the whole thing.
    .................David Marston

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

The success of Pinball Wizard as a hit single was a highly significant turning point in popular/culture opinions about pinball as a pastime. I've spoken about this at some of the pinball shows. The key point: an outside pop-culture force that was already considered cool (rock & rool, as exemplified by The Who) was able to impart some coolness to pinball. Our portrayal in mass media turned around after that. I was there and saw the whole thing.
    .................David Marston

Absolutely David! Pinball, for better or "worst", owes a debt of gratitude to the Who and Tommy!!!

#23 5 years ago

Hey at least its a great song by a classic band could be much worse, all the video game guys have is Pac Man Fever

#24 5 years ago

I've been called much worse.......

See you next month Don!

#25 5 years ago

Better than silence followed by "what's pinball?".

#26 5 years ago

I am the Pinball Lizard and do not own any Lizard pins but have a Tommy.

#27 5 years ago

Same here. On the newer games with 3 character high scores it was easy for me, WIZ!

Quoted from JWJr:

My nickname in high school was "Wizard", both for playing prowess and for working at a number of arcades. A lot of people in my old home town still call me that, some (LARGE) number of years later.

#28 5 years ago

One of my friends came over once and we were talking about my machines, he said in a sarcastic tone "hey man, leave some pussy for the rest of us."

Yeah, if I was single again they'd have to go.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/50-years-ago-today-we-got-named and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.