• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6208E13D-16C5-4993-93C3-02F7B3813879 (resized).jpeg
zep (resized).JPG
AD33C162-96CF-4C57-A7E7-AD1E027E49AA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimMe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 3 years ago

Well, first off you have the 1000 point chime wire swapped with the 10 point chime wire, compared to the factory setup. So the highest chime is sounding when you start a game, and when you add a player. But, the circuit that is being energized is the 1000 point chime circuit. I know this because the lowest chime is sounding when you score 10 points, and the highest chime is sounding when you first score 1000 points.

My guess is that there is some cross-connection between the 1000 point chime circuit and the start circuit in some way. That would explain why starting a game sounds the chime, and would also explain why sounding the chime (that is, as soon as you score 1000 points) starts a game. If the circuits are cross-connected, sounding the chime will actuate one of the start relays. I'm guessing it's the S relay, although it could also be the AX relay.

Note that I mean just the chime circuit is cross-connected, not the 1000 point relay circuit. I am guessing that because I'm not seeing any phantom 1000 point scoring happening during game start or game play, which would usually happen with a fault on the L relay (1000 point) circuit. So it seems unlikely that the L relay is involved.

The chime circuit is totally separate from rest of the 1000 point scoring circuit. It is energized by a single NO large-point switch on the L relay in the head. To check my theory, you can disable the chime switch on the L relay, which should silence the chime during game play, and that should also make the spontaneous reset go away.

If the above test works, the next thing to do is determine where the cross-connection is happening. I don't have this schematic, so I can't make an educated guess on this. But I would assume it's something odd, like two solder tabs on a relay being bent over and touching, or perhaps a solder splash across two unrelated circuits.

If you did any repair work on your game just prior to this problem starting, it's usually good to look at the last thing you worked on, and confirm all is well. If the problem came out of nowhere, then it probably wouldn't hurt to start looking for a fault around the L relay switch that sounds the chime, and see if anything there looks out of whack.

- TimMe

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbali:

Hit it like Fonzie

I thought that only worked with juke boxes...

#31 3 years ago

That chime switch on the L relay should not run the score motor.

As I said in post #19, you very likely have a cross-connection between the chime circuit and the circuit that pulls in the S (start) relay.

If you are closing the chime switch immediately after the game has been reset, when the game is ready for the first ball to be played, then I suspect what is actually happening is that the chime switch is causing the S relay (start relay) to pull in, which is adding the second player, and that is why you are seeing the score motor run when you close that switch. Once both players are added, closing the chime switch again will make the score motor run (because the S relay will be pulling in) but there won't be any other state change on the machine.

You'll want to confirm that is what is happening. If you can watch the S relay while you close the chime switch, you can see if the S relay pulls in. Once you confirm that is the actual fault, you can start hunting for the root cause of it.

- TimMe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimMe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/50-paypal-to-the-first-person-who-can-tell-me-how-to-fix-this-issue?tu=TimMe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.