Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dae7e244-cf3c-4b61-a542-392bf8bc3615 (resized).jpg
    Laser_Ventilation_pics_001.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheNoTrashCougar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 8 years ago

Joe, you are correct, but I am assuming this product is marketed for hobbyists that will not be cutting much other than acrylic and other easy to cut materials. I could be wrong...

Yeah, the cloud thing is gimmicky and the lack of air assist is an issue, but again, this is not for professionals.

This is going to end up falling into the category of the 3D printers that allow you to print "from the cloud" or from your iPhone or iPad. These will sell to people that will use them once or twice and toss it in a corner. It's a sad reality.

This may be a good way for the younger generation who does not understand this type of technology to get their hands on it, but the cost is way too high in my opinion.

Also keep in mind that lasers are very dangerous tools. Aside from the fire risk, if you put a piece of PVC in there and attempt to cut it, it can kill you very quickly. If you manage to live through it, just toss the laser in the garbage as it will be completely destroyed.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Why is PVC dangerous to cut with a laser? This sounds pretty wild.

Quoted from swinks:

materials like pvc and poly-carbonate give off toxic fumes, also cutting mdf releases cancerous fumes
    having air assist avoids that large flame in the video due to a slow burn through material, air assist with the right laser helps remove the smoke and aid in smoother and cleaner cut.

Correct, cutting PVC will create hydrochloric acid as well as very toxic fumes which will corrode your laser. You also, cannot just vent it outside as it could be hazardous to bystanders and the environment.

#47 8 years ago

I hope there is a big warning on these machines not to cut Plexiglass (polycarbanate sheet). These types of plastics also do not do well in laser cutters.

#50 8 years ago

Typical plastic sets on pinball are made of PETG. You can cut it. Fumes are less toxic, but still need to be vented thoroughly.

#57 8 years ago

Good to know Zitt. Thanks for the follow-up info. I am also curious what processing is being done in the cloud that the printer requires. It just sounds strange. Is there the ability to run the laser standalone? For example connected to Ethernet or USB as a standard printer like other laser systems.

less then $500 is pretty cheap for a new tube. I am skeptical of that quote. I would just be worried that they may go out of business and the tubes would become unobtainable.

Other then that, it does look pretty cool. I do like that you can align your prints using a webcam to see the material. That is awesome. I also really like the tracing functionality. That is definitely some functionality that will go over well with the hobbyist community. I don't really see a need for that in the industrial space, but very cool.

Oh, I didn't catch how much power the laser tubes were rated at. What kind of power is this thing looking to produce?

Please let us know how it is when you get yours. I am very curious.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheNoTrashCougar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/50-off-100-off-glowforge-laser?tu=TheNoTrashCougar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.