Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dae7e244-cf3c-4b61-a542-392bf8bc3615 (resized).jpg
    Laser_Ventilation_pics_001.jpg
    There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago

frickin best thread on pinside, in a loooooong time

thanks everyone.

#52 8 years ago

But they are offering a $500 ventilation unit (with filtration) so it does not need to be vented outside. Do you suspect that may be inadequate?
    I never saw this part while looking around. Satisfactory indoor ventilation systems are thousands of dollars, they are also noisy buggers which is why mine is outside. Also if you cut PETG in your home your whole house will stink for days, the smell just lingers. I cut alot of PETG items and I have a really good system and I still get headaches every so often.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Typical plastic sets on pinball are made of PETG. You can cut it. Fumes are less toxic, but still need to be vented thoroughly.

Any suggestions on the best/cheapest place to buy sheets of this from? Can they be found in all different colors?

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I hope there is a big warning on these machines not to cut Plexiglass (polycarbanate sheet). These types of plastics also do not do well in laser cutters.

Plexiglass is acrylic. Lexan is polycarbonate. Are either safe to cut in these? Acrylic is what many of the toppers and such are made from.

#55 8 years ago

Acrylic is fine, polycarbonate not so good, black smoke and the edges just melt. To purchase PETG just contact any plastic provider / manufacturer. You might have to buy a sheet and have it cut to size, and color is REALLY EXPENSIVE and hard to find under a 5000lb purchase. PETG is strong so you will use 100% power of the machine and cut very slowly 8% speed with a frequency of 1000 or 100 however they do it. You will need air assist, this material is prone to flare ups.. FIRE FIRE FIRE.. the film that covers the PETG is what catches.

#56 8 years ago

Joe - your comments are fair... and wholely correct.

but as a hobbyist who cuts on a ULS25E vented to the outside... I can tell you that Air Assist is a nice to have.
    I have never had air assist plumbed on my machine and have been able to cut Acrylic and other materials without anything more than nasty smell of burnt tires.

I do not think the Pro model will have adequate ventilation... and will either cut mine in the garage; or use my 25E vent system.

When cutting any plastics with plastic film; I ALWAYS remove the film and replace with transfer paper. The film melts at sticks to the plastic while cutting; so it's nothing but a useless protection system.

Star Trek: Mirror Universe's custom plastics were reverse printed on 3/16" Acrylic and then laser cut at techshop. PETG is nice; but I've never seen a need for it for plastics in my use models.

I've only tried to cut PolyCarb (Lexan) once... it just doesn't work at these power levels. The problem with Lexan is it melts the joint back together ... so you won't really be cutting it well on these lasers.

I wouldn't use these glowforge lasers for a business model... although I may use it for various parts on Pinball-Mods.com. HobbyGrade != industrial lasers.

Finally; I asked GlowForge early in the campaign:

I’m very interested in your Pro Kit Pre order...

As a ULS-25E owner; I’m wondering what the MTBF and/or hour rating is on your tubes. What warranty does the machine have?

Once they go bad; what is the expect cost for replacement of said tube?

There's a 6 month warranty on Basic and a 12 month warranty on Pro. Some highlights:

* If your machine is defective when you receive it, we’ll make it right immediately.

* For US customers, if it develops a problem later that’s our fault, we’ll either (at our option) ship you the parts that need to be replaced along with detailed instructions, or ship it back to us for repair or replacement – in either case, for free, including shipping.

* For international customers, parts and repairs are free, but shipping is not included.

* The warranty covers everything except the air filter cartridges.

* Unfortunately, if you modify your firmware, we can’t cover your Glowforge under warranty (because it’s easy to break your Glowforge by modifying your firmware!)

The Glowforge tube is custom made - it's bigger than most desktop units (850mm) and has some modifications for longer lifetime and smaller spot size. It's rated by the manufacturer for 2 years, but we're doing lifetime testing now to dial that in a little more closely. We plan to have a replacement available for less than $500.

#57 8 years ago

Good to know Zitt. Thanks for the follow-up info. I am also curious what processing is being done in the cloud that the printer requires. It just sounds strange. Is there the ability to run the laser standalone? For example connected to Ethernet or USB as a standard printer like other laser systems.

less then $500 is pretty cheap for a new tube. I am skeptical of that quote. I would just be worried that they may go out of business and the tubes would become unobtainable.

Other then that, it does look pretty cool. I do like that you can align your prints using a webcam to see the material. That is awesome. I also really like the tracing functionality. That is definitely some functionality that will go over well with the hobbyist community. I don't really see a need for that in the industrial space, but very cool.

Oh, I didn't catch how much power the laser tubes were rated at. What kind of power is this thing looking to produce?

Please let us know how it is when you get yours. I am very curious.

#59 8 years ago

Is there any ongoing charge for the required cloud service?

#60 8 years ago

Not at this time. I'd consider that bait and switch and demand a refund

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Not at this time. Is consider that bait and switch and demand a refund

Something to be wary of for sure. You can't operate a SaaS company without some type of recurring revenue. If I had to guess they bake in some amount of subscription time to the price, possibly a 2 year term coinciding with the life of the laser.

I worry how they will cover their infrastructure/cloud costs in a year or two.

A typical strategy for them at that time would be to say that the offline printing mode will be made available to all original purchasers, but to access any new cloud based features you would need a recurring subscription to the service. The offline mode would likely include any cloud-based features that shipped with the first machines.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

A typical strategy for them at that time would be to say that the offline printing mode will be made available to all original purchasers, but to access any new cloud based features you would need a recurring subscription to the service. The offline mode would likely include any cloud-based features that shipped with the first machines.

That's what I'd expect. If they're out trying to raise VC money, they're going to need to show some kind of recurring SaaS revenue. Or they're going to try and charge for access to their (user's) library of files.

#63 8 years ago

There are some vinyl cutters that have software that sells access to their cloud database of ready to cut artwork. Since they are not directly targeting designers, I suspect this is what they're planning.

1 week later
    #64 8 years ago

Looks like their actual prices are quite a bit lower than their MSRP, as expected..............

https://glowforge.com/order/?

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from sandersj:

Looks like their actual prices are quite a bit lower than their MSRP, as expected..............
    https://glowforge.com/order/?

So around $400 more. Not terrible. Definitely curious to see the reviews from the first shipping machines.

#66 8 years ago

They are still claiming a ?40%? off special. I have no idea if the full retail price will ever be realized. You can still use my referal code to get $100 off the current price.
    http://glowforge.com/referred/?kid=0SVBAG

They earned so much cash with the preorder; that I expect them to have more than enough revenue to hire programmers to make the project a success.

#67 8 years ago

I know this is a preorder, just curious if anyone has received one yet? Please make sure and take pics and post your reviews please.

I was toying with an Epilog laser, was thinking I was headed that route, but this may be worth a look see

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I know this is a preorder, just curious if anyone has received one yet?

I thought I saw that first orders were shipping in December?

#70 8 years ago

Okay cool, I am anxious to hear what you guys think when they arrive

1 week later
    #71 8 years ago

Got an email yesterday from them:

In just a few days, I’m going to send an email about our first shipments - our first beta units, coming out in December - and how you can volunteer to get one. Before we start shipping units, though, we want to be sure that everyone involved knows what’s ahead. We’ve been sharing information through the FAQ, update emails, and most of all through daily posts on the forum at http://community.glowforge.com. But we’ve had a few emails from people who are concerned. They missed some of the details. For example, some thought we were shipping everything in December, or didn’t realize that you had to have internet access to use a Glowforge. That makes us feel terrible, because it means we didn’t communicate as well or as clearly as we should have. So we pulled together this email with all of the most important information about your order, and a few of the misconceptions we’ve heard along the way.

For most of you, nothing here will be a surprise. But we want to make sure Glowforge is right for you, so please read through all the details here. Should you decide that you’re you’re going to do without your Glowforge, you can reach us at [email protected]. We’ll cancel your order, reverse the payment, and give your place in line to someone else.

But we hope you don’t want that.

With no further ado, then:

Most backers will get their machines in the first half of 2016.

When we launched, we said “First units shipping December 2015”, and then went on to say that units purchased before October 23 would ship in the first half of 2016. Now the first shipments are about to happen! (Stay tuned for an email in a few days on how you can apply to get one of the first few beta units). However, we’ve heard from a few people who thought that all the shipments would happen in December. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. To make sure your final Glowforge is as good as it can possibly be, we’re going to start by shipping a small number of beta units starting in two weeks. We’ll build the next set of units on a small test line over the course of the month. Then, the majority of units will roll out in the first half of next year. The date that we ramp up our production and start shipping thousands of units will depend on your feedback and our quality testing, but we’re on schedule to have all units that were purchased before Oct 23 shipped in the first half of 2016. Units ordered after Oct 23 will ship in the summer of 2016.

We’re on time, but delays are still possible.

Every day when I come into work I think about the Glowforge backers who are betting on us. Everyone at the company knows you’re counting on us, and that weighs on us and inspires us every day in equal measure. We will spare no effort to deliver every Glowforge on time. There is one thing we won’t do, though, and that’s compromise on the quality of what we’re building.

Our team has many years of experience shipping hardware, so we know how to minimize risk and stay on schedule. We’re buying parts months before they’re needed, flying around the world to inspect component manufacturers and ensure that they have the supplies and quality that we need, and sparing no efforts to accelerate production. (Do you know how much it costs to air freight a 10 ton injection mold? I do now!)

We are right on schedule, and have built buffers and redundancy into our plan. But even with all our efforts, we could experience delays. What we aren’t going to do is ship our production units until they are awesome.

#72 8 years ago

Oh crap... I need this. The ideas I have with illustration are limitless. I may have to sell a pin...

#73 8 years ago

I think they are still offering them at 40% off and you can still use my referral code to get another $100 off.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I think they are still offering them at 40% off and you can still use my referral code to get another $100 off.

I notice you get $100 each referral. If I decide to buy I will use it. Have you received a lot of them so far?

#76 8 years ago

They missed the boat on marketing these. Basic and Pro should have been Pro and LE, respectively. Then in 4 years they could re-release the hobby version as a Vault Edition.

I'm really interested in this, but the real business opportunity is to make a device with interchangeable heads: one for laser-cutting, and another for 3D printing. Whoever comes up with that first is going to make a lot of money.

4 months later
    #77 8 years ago

Just got word that production units have slipped from June to December due to a "power supply" quality/design concern.
    Not happy - but not unexpected given the nature of crowd sourced funding.

Apparently they are now assembling here in the USA which is cool.

For those that still want in
    but keep in mind they are saying that the backlog is huge and it will take several months for them to fill existing orders.

#78 8 years ago

Have you guys seen the Davinici 1.0 Pro with laser attachment?

Its basically a 3d printer that you can fit a laser attachment too. Curious.

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from joeraptor2003:

Have you guys seen the Davinici 1.0 Pro with laser attachment?

I have no experience with the Pro... but looks like a "nod" but useless feature.
    First; the review I read - called it a "engraver"; which won't do much useful stuff.
    Second the 6x6 inch travel limit of the "laser" would just about remove all useful capabilities from the laser.

Having had a 24x12" Laser... I can tell you even that was limiting many times.

#80 8 years ago

I some what disagree, a 24" x 12" is only limiting to something you want to make 24.5". Other than that I had a 24" x 12" and it worked perfect for everything I wanted to do at the time. Now I have a 32" x 20" and this only because we opened our business to sign making ( non pinball related ) and need the extra room.
    I do agree fully on the davinici machine, piece of junk.

6 months later
    #81 7 years ago

So far; Glowforge is reporting they are on track to ship the Laser in Dec... for early backers.

They've also increased the pricing closer to their retail price $3k for a basic and $6k for a Pro model; but you can still get a $100 off coupon if you use my referral link:

I expect my unit is in the December batch; but with Crowdfunding you never know.

4 weeks later
    #82 7 years ago

Your Glowforge isn’t shipping...
    We will be manufacturing hundreds of units per month through February and scale up to thousands starting in April. Most customers will get their deliveries in May through August. All orders placed before Oct 26, 2015 will be shipped by July 31, and all subsequent orders by August 31.

I think I'm done being patient... Do any of you guys really have faith in this product any more?
    I'm going to sleep on this latest news... but will probably cancel tomorrow. They've earned enough interest off of my money.
    Apparently:
    http://fslaser.com/Muse
    is nearly ready to ship gonna go find out.

#83 7 years ago

I think you are very wise to get out of Glowforge.

2 weeks later
    #84 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I think I'm done being patient... Do any of you guys really have faith in this product any more?
    I'm going to sleep on this latest news... but will probably cancel tomorrow. They've earned enough interest off of my money.
    Apparently:
    http://fslaser.com/Muse
    is nearly ready to ship gonna go find out.

Let us know how much the Muse is running when you find out?

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Let us know how much the Muse is running when you find out?

Sure.
    I think I'm going to get a real laser ... no a joke from these companies. I hear that Full spectrum laser treats their employees like crap... which results in a poor build quality.. and that they don't support their customers very well either.

Haven't decided yet... but I really want an Epilog Fusion M2 40 w/ camera option. Sadly, I'm thinking it's out of my price range. Those options are probably >35k.

#86 7 years ago

Just got this by email... this is not an endorsement of this company. I have not heard good things about their products nor how they treat their employees. They also are considerably more expensive than the pre-ordered Glowforge.

Hobby Laser Cutters
    For most people, it all starts with a hobby laser cutter. Laser cutters offer an incredible amount of functionality and project diversity. Hobby laser cutters typically have three main functions: Cutting, Engraving, and Marking. By combining these distinctive functions, makers access endless possibilities for projects.

The typical hobby laser cutter generally offers a 40 watt laser tube and a workspace of around 20” x 12”. For most hobby-level projects, this is a good usage of space and power for the price. Full Spectrum Laser offers its Hobby-Series and the upcoming Muse in the hobby laser market.
    dae7e244-cf3c-4b61-a542-392bf8bc3615 (resized).jpgdae7e244-cf3c-4b61-a542-392bf8bc3615 (resized).jpg

Muse is our latest hobby laser cutter and features a sleek new design, upgraded components and a host of new features including RetinaEngrave 2.0 software (available for Hobby Series, as well), a built-in camera, and more. Muse comes with an added water pump cooling system and an exhaust fan for traveling to shows and Maker-Faires. We are currently offering Muse in the following package deals:

The Performance Package includes a water chiller for added longevity of the laser tube. Only $5,550.
    The Clean-Home Package comes with a fume extractor to remove fumes and small particles from the air. Great for home workshops that don't have built-in air exhaust ports. Only $6,000.
    The All-In-One Package includes both the water chiller and the fume extractor.
    Only $6,500.

We also offer an additional discount for customers who have canceled pre-orders from competitors. Quantities are limited, so if you want your Muse shipped in January, order today.

2 weeks later
    #87 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Just got this by email... this is not an endorsement of this company. I have not heard good things about their products nor how they treat their employees. They also are considerably more expensive than the pre-ordered Glowforge.

Thanks! I am hesitant to be the first guy to buy, but hope it is a worthwhile investment! I am really interested in one

5 months later
    #88 6 years ago

Like an id10t; I didn't cancel my glowforge order... because well; I have all this "investment" in time.

Today; these scam artist have announced yet another 3mth delay and they are shipping only half of the machine with incomplete software.

For the love of god; if you are still in this crowdfunding campaign - demand a refund.

#89 6 years ago

I got interested in the recent Tested and I love to make stuff Youtubes. After picking up 2x 3d printers in the past I understand that 3d printing is harder than it should be (to print accurately.) Most of my time went into just printing where I never actually had extra time to develop parts to print. This Glowforge seems to simplify the process, if it works.

#90 6 years ago

In general; laser cutters are MUCH easier because you can only work in 2D with vectors.

BUT, DO NOT believe the hype / error in marketing for Glowforge. Nothing in that product is "3D". It's not an additive manufacturing process. It's a subtractive process and you cannot build 3D parts with it unless you figure out how to make 3D parts from 2D parts. There are tools that will break 3D items into 2D slices ... but I've never done it so don't know how well it works.

My advice; is if you aren't on the pre-order list for Glowforge. Wait for another year before pulling the trigger. Then and only then; ensure the reviews for the product match you expectations. I think those that have received a glowforge basic... still have "buyers high" that they finally got the product... A more realistic story should appear as more people get units. Pro users (like myself) will still be waiting until Oct-Dec for their units.

I need to cancel my order and go buy something like a https://www.bosslaser.com/

#91 6 years ago

I've got a friend who's wife pre-ordered the fancy version, I figured she'd be waiting a while, but sucks that it's been this long. Just goes to show, it's not only pinball that's hard ...

I didn't realize that anyone was getting anything yet though, so I guess that's something finally.

#92 6 years ago

they should just 3D print 3D printers. would be much faster.
    just sayin`

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

they should just 3D print 3D printers. would be much faster.
    just sayin`

Youve been a roll, lately, Lab! LMBO

4 months later
    #94 6 years ago

I stayed in... but tonight was the last straw.
    Glowforge again waiting until last minute to announce that they won't even come close to hitting their latest production date. They said by the end of Oct; everyone who preordered in the first campaign would get their machines.
    This didn't happen - infact; they have stated they are only up to like day 4... and that is only if you ordered a basic w/o airfilter and shipping to USA.
    For International people; they are saying May 2018.

I don't trust this company anymore and requested a refund. They tell me my check should be here in 10days.
    I'm done.... I walked away for pre-order pricing and $700 (seven) referrals. I just can't run the risk given they can't forecast their way out of a wet paper bag. They also REFUSE to offer any concessions to their pre-order people who've been waiting almost 3years now. They also refuse to publish a reasonable schedule for non-beta software and feature updates.

So; I'm seriously request that anyone who still has a pony in this race - to pull the refund trigger. I seriously think that this company with implode or fail... or the product will be substandard at best.

#95 6 years ago

Sorry to hear that, Z. Although I didn't jump on the preorder, I've been watching the company as I would like to get one of these if they ever make it into the wild. Sorry to hear that you've decided to bail but agree there is something definitely wrong over there. Maybe they'll get their act together and fix this sooner than later.

#96 6 years ago

Glad to hear you finally got out. Glowforge has a terrible business model and have taken so long competitors are closer to shipping than glowforge is. The glowforge itself isn’t a great product anyway.

Dremel just launched their direct competitor last month.

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/50-off-100-off-glowforge-laser/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.