5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

dae7e244-cf3c-4b61-a542-392bf8bc3615 (resized).jpg
    Laser_Ventilation_pics_001.jpg

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I just ordered my replacement laser from GlowForge. They are running a 50% off preorder sale bringing the price of a 20x12 laser down to under $1899 if you use my referral link:
    [Link deleted]

It's a pretty cool looking laser reviewed by Tested:

50% off sale ends in 1 DAYS, 17 HOURS, 4 MINUTES.

#3 5 years ago

I'm temped but it's outside my budget

#4 5 years ago

I snagged a pro

#5 5 years ago

It's a really cool device. I'm not too keen on it requiring a connection to the "cloud" to do the really cool stuff. No reason that code couldn't run on a local machine. Sounds to me like their plan is to move to a subscription model for the "service" at some point.

I will keep following the project though, as it's definitely a cool product.

#6 5 years ago

Oh the plastics you could make

#7 5 years ago

I've been super tempted. But I admit the cloud part makes me nervous too. I know they're GPLing the drivers, but still, it's just not really the model I'm into when it comes to this kind of a tool.

#8 5 years ago

Once he said google cloud...I was 50% turned off. If you don't have internet, or somehow it goes out, it sucks, whatever, you can't cut?! I was hoping there would be an offline method.

#9 5 years ago

Any time a device is not self-contained, there is going to be a risk of it not working later because of bugs, compatibility, abandonment, etc. I've seen it happen all the time.

Otherwise, it seems like an interesting device.

#10 5 years ago

I love cool tools like this!
    But the cloud integration was a deal breaker for me.

#11 5 years ago

I'm not a fan of pre-ordering

#12 5 years ago

There are a bunch of community designs out there if you're worried about the "cloud" or prefer the DIY approach. Certainly won't have a few of the cool features with the automatic part alignment and stuff that this one is offering though.

http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2011/02/buildlog-net-2-x-laser/
    http://openbuilds.org/builds/openbuilds-freeburn-2-mini-v-slot-co2-laser-40-50w.1657/

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Anyone tempted at all?

That is the coolest lasercutter I've EVER seen.

Especially the Pro model with the side doors so you can keep feeding long materials in for a single, giant cut!

But the deal breaker is the Cloud processing. Most new businesses in the USA fail within 2 years, so I worry about getting a $2k paperweight.

#14 5 years ago

Looks sweet but sadly out of my budget. Can I borrow yours

#15 5 years ago

I was worried about the cloud too... but got a reasonable response from them. Ill see if i can dig it up

#16 5 years ago

Man this thing is cool.

#17 5 years ago

I want this so bad, but would be the least qualified person to ever purchase a GlowForge. Love the wallet reference early though. "You don't understand. You have a gift." "No, you don't understand. I have a laser."

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I was worried about the cloud too... but got a reasonable response from them. Ill see if i can dig it up

I think they're being reasonable about it, drivers under GPL and all. But it's still just a little weird. I don't care for a 3rd party controlling how and what I cut, you know?

If they had a local version you could install for advanced users then it would be different. But a cloud cutter is just sort of weird to me. I'm sure it will be fine, just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I was really tempted to buy one anyways, I'll admit. We just did a piece on them the other day:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/we-use-a-2000-glowforge-to-make-stuff-out-of-frickin-lasers/

One of our writers visited, seemed really impressed.

#19 5 years ago

Do they own the file after its uploaded?

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Do they own the file after its uploaded?

Or have any rights to the file (distribute\use themselves\etc)?

The only reasons I can come up for having a laser depend on the cloud are:
    1) Going to subscription model at some point
    2) Building a design repository from your user's IP
    3) Trying to protect your own IP (i.e. they don't want their auto-registration code ending up in a competitors system)

I'm sure there are others... I'm curious to see their response to Zitt's concerns. It would be pretty awesome to just feed plastics into the thing and have it auto cut them.

#21 5 years ago

Sooooo, buy one now at half price (probably not but good marketing), thousands of these things will hit user's hands before you get yours and there will be plenty of reviews, etc.... if it looks iffy or flaky cancel your order which you can do up to the point of shipping and go buy a chinese cutter off of ebay (but without the bells and whistles).

I'd already have a chinese cutter in my basement but its full of pinball machines.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinlynx:

The only reasons I can come up for having a laser depend on the cloud are:

Cost. They don't have to develop multiplatform software. It's all done through the cloud and a browser, works on any device.

#23 5 years ago

cool product but like others not a fan of the cloud, but have recently considering getting a laser

I still a little baffled by the reasoning of the cloud apart from than you the user not needing to download software upgrades, as they can just upgrade on the fly same as material pieces. Technically all the hardware is on your desk once you own it with the cutting file beamed back down to your machine. My only 2 thoughts is with that paper that is placed on the material by them, are they hoping to keep on selling material prepared with paper to you as a regular income. 2nd is like Shapeways you buy designs off them where you the creator can make your cool design available (glowforge makes a cut and your the creator makes a cut) for other "glowforgers" not to have made but to buy and pump out that design for say local markets etc.

- if you lose internet or connect to glowforge server your buggered
    - if the company goes bust your buggered

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Cost. They don't have to develop multiplatform software. It's all done through the cloud and a browser, works on any device.

that is a good point

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

There are a bunch of multi-platform development options out there (most notably Java). Heck even Microsoft is in on the multi-platform game with .Net now. Whatever extra costs would be incurred developing in one of these platforms (if they're not already using one) surely would be offset by the costs of paying Amazon or Google or Microsoft for cloud hosting indefinitely.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinlynx:

There are a bunch of multi-platform development options out there (most notably Java). Heck even Microsoft is in on the multi-platform game with .Net now. Whatever extra costs would be incurred developing in one of these platforms (if they're not already using one) surely would be offset by the costs of paying Amazon or Google or Microsoft for cloud hosting indefinitely.

Both of you are assuming that there isn't something happening on the server side that they can't or won't be able to do on your computer (don't just think processing power, as it might be for licensing reasons)

#27 5 years ago

This was what I got when I asked about offline mode:

I watched your videos and understand the "power" is in the Cloud... but will you offer offline modes for general usage?

IE if you have a service interruption... or gawd forbid you go out of business / sold / change directions... what assurances do we have that the machine will continue to operate outside of the cloud?

Lauren (Glowforge)

Oct 6, 13:37

Thanks so much for asking. Sorry that wasn't totally clear up front.

Many of Glowforge's coolest features are possible because we are running the software in cloud servers. At some point we'd like to make fully offline printing possible, although it may not have all the features of online printing. In the mean time, should something happen to us, the firmware is flashable by the owner. You can read a bit more about this here:

http://glowforge.com/blog/gpl-licensed-open-source-firmware-for-glowforge/

Most print jobs fit in the Glowforge's local print queue, so you just need the connection to start the print. If you lose connectivity while printing it will finish. However, bigger jobs may not fit and are sent down in smaller pieces. If you lose connectivity during a big print it will finish what it was doing, pause, and wait for connectivity to resume.

#28 5 years ago

Thanks for posting their reply Zitt.

I still can't pull the trigger. If they don't plan on monetizing the cloud portion of the system, they're eventually going to run out of money. Something's got to pay for those servers.

Here's some more discussion on HackerNews. The CEO replies to some of the cloud concerns, but not clearly enough for my tastes yet.
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10272483

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

as it might be for licensing reasons

Now that makes a ton of sense.

#30 5 years ago

I will buy one when they are ready to ship for this same price. If they can afford to take 50 points off them before shipping a unit they should be able to hit that price point later. I miss having laser cutters...but no way on a preorder.

#31 5 years ago

a shame they can't do something like makerbot 3d printers when you can save the print or in this case a cut file to a usb and plug in to the machine to print one or many jobs.

"we'd like", "may not" "should" isn't comforting

#32 5 years ago

The reply was a non-reply in terms of useful information, and the link he provided to the GPL firmware development blog entry now goes to a 404 page ( http://glowforge.com/blog/gpl-licensed-open-source-firmware-for-glowforge ) . Is there another page detailing the GPL firmware? No way I can support something tied to the mothership like this, not until the mothership is in business for several years and actually turning a profit...

#33 5 years ago

But that registration camera is just too slick. Really innovative.

#35 5 years ago

We're getting a pro at work. Can't wait to see what I can do with it. Mike

#36 5 years ago

I wonder if the 50% off is just a scheme to get people to buy now so they can get the money now. The articles I have read about the system say they want to get into the market for $2500. That's a lot less than $4000. I really want one but just not worth it to pull the trigger now.

I hope they get the bugs worked out and when they are available for normal purchase, maybe they will "drop" the price to $2000-$2500.

#37 5 years ago

Looking at eBay it looks like there are laser cutters in this price range already. Some of the fluffy features might not be there, but I'm not a fan of glow forge yet. They have a lot to prove.

#38 5 years ago

as soon I heard cloud I lost all interest

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lonzo:

I wonder if the 50% off is just a scheme to get people to buy now so they can get the money now. The articles I have read about the system say they want to get into the market for $2500. That's a lot less than $4000. I really want one but just not worth it to pull the trigger now.
    I hope they get the bugs worked out and when they are available for normal purchase, maybe they will "drop" the price to $2000-$2500.

Hmm. Yeah this crazy prepay offer thing reminds of some other industry. what am I thinking of? lol.

Regardless my buddy just bought one from here so hopefully it turns out well.

#40 5 years ago

Forget the cloud aspect of this.. How about that huge flame coming off the material in the video, where is the air assist?? You can't not have air assist on something your going to put in your home. The first thing that comes to mind is FIRE FIRE FIRE.. get a fire extinguisher, maybe 2. Interesting product but there are definitely some important things lacking.. the ventilation is also a major factor along with a filtration system, this will set you back $800.00 to $1000.00. The smells that come of some of this stuff ( PETG ) in particular is horrible and a good ported to the outside vent is a must not a vacuum hose out a window..lol

#41 5 years ago

Joe, you are correct, but I am assuming this product is marketed for hobbyists that will not be cutting much other than acrylic and other easy to cut materials. I could be wrong...

Yeah, the cloud thing is gimmicky and the lack of air assist is an issue, but again, this is not for professionals.

This is going to end up falling into the category of the 3D printers that allow you to print "from the cloud" or from your iPhone or iPad. These will sell to people that will use them once or twice and toss it in a corner. It's a sad reality.

This may be a good way for the younger generation who does not understand this type of technology to get their hands on it, but the cost is way too high in my opinion.

Also keep in mind that lasers are very dangerous tools. Aside from the fire risk, if you put a piece of PVC in there and attempt to cut it, it can kill you very quickly. If you manage to live through it, just toss the laser in the garbage as it will be completely destroyed.

#42 5 years ago

Here's my ventilation.. 2 4" hoses to 1 4" hose. Vented through the wall into a carbon charcoal system and through a 2hp 1350CFM blower in a weather proof container.. and I still never walk away.

Laser_Ventilation_pics_001.jpg

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Laseriffic:

Forget the cloud aspect of this.. How about that huge flame coming off the material in the video, where is the air assist?? You can't not have air assist on something your going to put in your home. The first thing that comes to mind is FIRE FIRE FIRE.. get a fire extinguisher, maybe 2. Interesting product but there are definitely some important things lacking.. the ventilation is also a major factor along with a filtration system, this will set you back $800.00 to $1000.00. The smells that come of some of this stuff ( PETG ) in particular is horrible and a good ported to the outside vent is a must not a vacuum hose out a window..lol

But they are offering a $500 ventilation unit (with filtration) so it does not need to be vented outside. Do you suspect that may be inadequate?

Im curious more about the air assist you mention. Why is it required? Given the materials they list as being capable of being cut and engraved do you believe air assist is necessary? Assuming someone is just using this at home for occasional use and not for commercial use would it really be necessary?

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Joe, you are correct, but I am assuming this product is marketed for hobbyists that will not be cutting much other than acrylic and other easy to cut materials. I could be wrong...
    Yeah, the cloud thing is gimmicky and the lack of air assist is an issue, but again, this is not for professionals.
    This is going to end up falling into the category of the 3D printers that allow you to print "from the cloud" or from your iPhone or iPad. These will sell to people that will use them once or twice and toss it in a corner. It's a sad reality.
    This may be a good way for the younger generation who does not understand this type of technology to get their hands on it, but the cost is way too high in my opinion.
    Also keep in mind that lasers are very dangerous tools. Aside from the fire risk, if you put a piece of PVC in there and attempt to cut it, it can kill you very quickly. If you manage to live through it, just toss the laser in the garbage as it will be completely destroyed.

Why is PVC dangerous to cut with a laser? This sounds pretty wild.

#45 5 years ago

materials like pvc and poly-carbonate give off toxic fumes, also cutting mdf releases cancerous fumes

having air assist avoids that large flame in the video due to a slow burn through material, air assist with the right laser helps remove the smoke and aid in smoother and cleaner cut.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Why is PVC dangerous to cut with a laser? This sounds pretty wild.

Quoted from swinks:

materials like pvc and poly-carbonate give off toxic fumes, also cutting mdf releases cancerous fumes
    having air assist avoids that large flame in the video due to a slow burn through material, air assist with the right laser helps remove the smoke and aid in smoother and cleaner cut.

Correct, cutting PVC will create hydrochloric acid as well as very toxic fumes which will corrode your laser. You also, cannot just vent it outside as it could be hazardous to bystanders and the environment.

#47 5 years ago

I hope there is a big warning on these machines not to cut Plexiglass (polycarbanate sheet). These types of plastics also do not do well in laser cutters.

#48 5 years ago

Vinyl and a Co2 laser = hydro cloride gas. I have cut PETG and other plastics/wood on a Trotec 200 w/ Nonvented charcoal filter and it still smells = not completely filtered. If you are doing a lot of cutting you need high static pressure/appropriate CFMs to vent that crap. But in my home for small projects, eh...not super worried about it.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I hope there is a big warning on these machines not to cut Plexiglass (polycarbanate sheet). These types of plastics also do not do well in laser cutters.

What are typical plastic sets on pinball machines made of? Polycarbonate? Are pin plastics typically 1/8" thick?

#50 5 years ago

Typical plastic sets on pinball are made of PETG. You can cut it. Fumes are less toxic, but still need to be vented thoroughly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 35.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    Cabinet Parts
    Troxel Repair
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 132.00
    $ 14.95
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 47.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 50.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside