2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by kermit24
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180221_191500_Film3 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Looking for a set of headphones to replace the pair that my dog decided to use as a chew toy. I'd like to keep the price under $50, wired(non bluetooth). I'm heavily leaning towards a pair of Koss Porta Pros, but could use a few other suggestions. I listen to everything from the Beatles to Slayer.

#2 2 years ago

Double that budget and step into a Sennheiser HD 579
amazon.com link »

#3 2 years ago

If you want to stay within your budget

amazon.com link »

#4 2 years ago

I have these and like them and they're super cheap.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8323

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

If you want to stay within your budget
amazon.com link »

I've seen them mentioned in a few comparisons/reviews. Seems for the price, they're decent.

Unfortunately, I can't justify spending twice my budget with as little as I listen to headphones. Most of my listening is is in front of a turntable and a pair of speakers these days.

#6 2 years ago

I trust the innerfidelity wall-of-fame for headphone recommendations. If you're looking for closed-back, over-ear cans, here's your list:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-over-ear-sealed

In your price range:

Sennheiser HD 202 ($34)
Budget conscious? Wondering if $20 can get you a worthwhile headphone? The good news is that the Sennheiser HD 202 is not a cheap plastic toy...but rather an inexpensive but well-built plastic tool. It's stylish, fairly comfortable, and, well, ridiculously inexpensive. It's also got a very long cable, which is good if you're using the headphone in a working environment...but not so good if you're using on-the-go—though the included cable take-up winding gizmo makes it a little more tenable.

Sound quality is warm and somewhat disjointed with strong bass, slightly forward mids, and a relaxed but reasonably articulate treble. Though far from perfect, the HD 202's laid-back sound is easily accommodated and never strident or obnoxious. A much better sounding headphone can be had for a bit more than twice the price in the Creative Aurvana Live—well worth it if you're looking for sound quality. But if you're in a working environment, the longer cable and beefier build quality of the HD 202 might be better in the long run.

Monoprice 8323 ($21.59)
I can't imagine how anyone can produce a full-size headphone for $21, much less how they could do so and make one that sounds good as well. But by golly they sure did! If you're looking for a cheap beater headphone that will see duty in a backpack, playroom, or be bashed around in the back of the mini-van, these are your go-to choice.
The one downfall of these headphones is a somewhat uncomfortable fit due to poor padding on the headband. The cable is very long at 10', and is removable from the left earpiece and is terminated at both ends with identical straight 1/8" mini-plugs.

#7 2 years ago

These offer a lot a bang for the buck:

amazon.com link »

#8 2 years ago

If you are spending the money for a good turntable and the time getting the record out and putting it on the table, maintaining the records and various components of the turntable well... Maybe think about all the effort you've gone through to listen to music in the particular way you've chosen too. Listening to vinyl is more than listening to good music. Its an organic experience to be savored like a fine meal. Imagine having a very fine meal, expensive chef for prep and the best wine but your sense of taste is screwed because you have a cold or something. All the other factors won't matter and your meal and experience are screwed because you can't taste it properly. Better to wait until you are over the cold and then go out. There's your justification for better headphones. If you can afford it, or can wait to save up, I suggest get really nice ones. The sound quality will be better. The comfort, which some people forget to factor in, will be better. Remember, if they are not comfortable for wearing for more than 15-30 minutes it won't matter how they sound. In the end do what you have to do. My $0.02. And good luck.

#9 2 years ago

These will be for the few times i listen to music on spotify on my phone, not vinyl duty.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

These will be for the few times i listen to music on spotify on my phone, not vinyl duty.

I stand corrected. Earbuds then

#11 2 years ago

Another vote for the Sennheiser HD 202. Very good for the price. I listen to everything from youtube videos to Rush to classical and they get the job done.

Shawn

#12 2 years ago

I use SkullCandy's! They have a few different levels of cost.in your price range!!

#13 2 years ago

Thanks all for the recommendations. I ended up going with these:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18515
For the price they were marked down to, they were tough to pass on.

20180221_191500_Film3 (resized).jpg

#14 2 years ago

Not a bad price. How do they sound?

#15 2 years ago

Get Shure ear buds ... better sound than my Bose Noise Cancel over the ears

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Not a bad price. How do they sound?

Obviously, i need to give them a good break in, but out of the box, they sound good. Very full sounding, good lows, highs don't have as much sparkle as I'd like, but decent none the less. Build quality is very good.

#17 2 years ago

I LOVE the Sony MDR-7506. Not quite within the budget but not too far off. Enjoy the MP ones never tried them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 319.00
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 295.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Art of Pinball
$ 34.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 55.00
Lighting - Interactive
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Rubber/Silicone
Scandinavian Pinball
$ 63.29
Cabinet - Other
Pinball-Mods.com
£ 50.00
$ 89.99
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside