(Topic ID: 83429)

5 ball: Why does it exist and does anyone use it?

By Dommer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Dommer
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lance.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider someoneelse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 10 years ago

Factory settings (or harder) is the way to go!

Also the "i will pay for a better score" (= extra ball buy-in, e.g. on STTNG) feature is always turned off on my machines as this feature is purely a money-maker for machines on route and makes no sense at all in a home (free play) environment.

In general i think setting a modern game to 5 balls is the same as changing the game settings to "easy", so in the end it's kinda like cheating...

1 week later
    #110 10 years ago

Just did the test this weekend. I'm strictly a 3-ball guy but had some guests and set my machines to 5 balls just to see the "audience" reaction.

Summed up they all found it very lame and boring. The pressure to always stay on your toes is heavily reduced as you're constantly thinking that if you lose the ball, so what, you've got x more!
    Also wizard modes are supposed to be a reward, they are meant to be reached by good players and only once in a while, not on every second game or by mediocre players.
    And certain games are unplayable on 5 balls. A game of, e.g., LotR takes long even on 3 balls, on 5 balls it's endless...more than 1 hour of play and 3 balls left...it's just not meant to be that way.

My girlfreind stopped playing and left the gameroom after 2 games, commenting "call me when you turn off sissy-mode".

#112 10 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

I think that's true on the newer games but on many of the older solid state games, 3 ball is "pinball lite".

Yes, sorry, forgot to mention my games are all DMD with the exception of BK2000, which is my pin for quick short games so it's also set to 3 balls.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider someoneelse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/5-ball-why-does-it-exist-and-does-anyone-use-it?tu=someoneelse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.